Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:01 PM

80 posts, read 461,593 times

Advertisements

There are many wonderful 55+ communities across the country with more springing up all the time with the aging of the baby boomers. Also, it should be noted that not all of these are in the South or Southwest as more people are searching for different retirement locales. One rule of thumb to be aware of is that the age of the community is generally correlated to the age of the residents. In other words an active adult community that started 20 years ago will have more residents in their seventies while one that launched 2 years ago will still have the vast majority of its residents in their late 50s and early 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 06:50 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
I can't imagine everyone aging and rotting in the same place at the same time. Go rent the movie, Boynton Beach Club. I am in my late 50s, my husband is 60, and we love our mixed-age neighborhood. I love that our neighbors just had a brand new baby. I'll find my own friends, thank you. I'm too old for camp.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:56 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I can't imagine everyone aging and rotting in the same place at the same time. Go rent the movie, Boynton Beach Club. I am in my late 50s, my husband is 60, and we love our mixed-age neighborhood. I love that our neighbors just had a brand new baby. I'll find my own friends, thank you. I'm too old for camp.
That's how we ended up feeling about it too. The places I've seen felt really sad to me. I think older residents have a lot to add to a nieghborhood and it's good for children to be raised in a mixed age environment.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:51 AM

2 posts, read 9,601 times
Default Information

Do anyone know of a retirement community for age 50 ?

Old 04-23-2007, 07:47 AM

80 posts, read 461,593 times
Default 50-year-olds Seek Place

Cynj-

In my research I have never run across a retirement community that bills itself as being for 50+. I do know that some make a few exceptions, however. I get inquiries from those who are around 50 who have either retired early or are looking ahead. With more individuals considering earlier retirements, redefining what retirement means, and/or continuing to work but wanting to do so remotely or to live in a resort community while doing so, it's only a matter of time before this option becomes more commonplace. Really, I don't know too many 55-year-olds who think their neighborhood is going to go downhill with the admission of 50-year-olds! When you take a step back, you can see that it's quite arbitrary and just a little silly, particularly when someone wants to identify with an older set.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
We're moving to Pine Lakes in N. Ft. Myers, FL soon, which is a 55+ community. From what I understand, they are required to maintain a certain percentage (I think I recall 80%, but I could be wrong) of people 55 and older. I'll be 52, and hubby will be 55. So, at least in our community, there's a chance you can move there. I hope that helps.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:58 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I agree wholeheartedly! We tried Sun City Center, FL, lasted 9 months, couldn't WAIT to get out! SO restrictive. Everything we did was studied by neighbors. I was watering some new shrubs in the front yard one day, heard the phone ring in the kitchen, shut off the hose at the nozzle, ran in the house, answered the phone and in one minute a neighbor literally pounded on my front door, yelling, "You're not supposed to leave your hose across your lawn!" I came out and told him to get used to it. I then left the hose across the lawn from then on

Old 04-29-2007, 06:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
I live in the Sunbird Community in Chandler, Arizona. Many of the people who live here spend their summers in their home states and live here the rest of the time. It's very safe, friendly and has very nice facilities. People are comfortable with leaving their homes here vacant for a few months because it's a gated community with a patrol and people tend to look out for their neighbors. I've never even heard of a break in here. There's not much space between the houses although there's quite a range of prices because we have a variety of housing choices and sizes. Everyone maintains their property and it's a very pleasant area. There's alot of communities similar to this in the greater Phoenix area so Arizona is definitely one of the major locations for 55+ communities in the whole nation.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:54 PM

16 posts, read 68,855 times
Default 55+ communities

We live in a 55+ community. Only one spouse has to be 55. The other can be as young as you can catch. We have a friendly active community where neighbors look out for one another so that crime is extremely rare. Plus we are surrounded by multimillion dollar homes so police protection is excellent. We are a resident-owned mobile home park and homes typically sell for $300K to $475K with low homeowners fees. Can you believe $192/mo. We are in Southern Calif. only 1 1/2 miles from the ocean so our climate is temperate year round. Low heating bills in the winter and no A/C bill in the summer. Moderator cut: website
MarJ

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-05-2007 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: advertising.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:56 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
If you have grandchildren this is something to consider. In FL, a couple had to take custody of their granddaughter and now they are being forced to sell their house because she lives with them. The HOA is threatening to take their house if they don't get rid of the little girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement