Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 05:14 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

[quote=janetjanetbobanet;501361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Are the nurses who are educated in those other countries required to go as long or to learn as much as they are in the U.S.?

I would guess so. Nurses from other countries, at least the ones I have worked with, tend to be pretty good ones, with a good work ethic. It will be good for us as a country if they do come here.
I heard two people in a conversation about the fact that we are bringing in nurses from other countries, but there is a waiting list of people who want to go to nursing school. Looks to me like it would make more sense to increase the educational opportunities in this country so more nurses could be trained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 05:22 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
One other thought about this sentence:

"Lets see a $1,000 dollar investment each year today at say 40-50% return (tax free) on those wretched oil funds would be how much in 30 Years? Lets all use our power of persuasion to help the have nots invest so they can in the future become haves."

That's a really nice sentiment, but be careful. I learned the hard way that a lot of "have nots" really do not want to hear any helpful advice.

I worked in a small office in the late 1990s and at that time was making money hand over fist investing in mutual funds. My co-worker was a young single mom who was constantly borrowing money and using various welfare programs. She was a sweet girl who complained a lot about her situation. I liked her, so I thought I would help her out by talking a lot about saving and investments. I thought maybe she would feel supported and get some useful tips. I thought I was giving her a wonderful, life changing education.

I didn't find out until too late that she thought I was obnoxious.

A month or so later my coworkers got rid of me because they were sick of hearing me talk about saving money. I was transferred to another office.

Apparently they thought I was bragging--they thought I looked down on them--they were uncomfortable being in the same room with me and said that if I said the word "dow jones" one more time they would scream. I was stunned to learn this. IMO, I wasn't judging them and didn't mean to sound that way--but that's how it was taken. My attempt to help people was appreciated at all. Ah well--at least it was a lesson learned (for me).

Old 10-06-2007, 05:38 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
One thing that I am seeing is the increase of retirement homes and villages. Those trailers around the big school is probably because someone is forward thinking and knows they will not be necessary in a few years. I listened a few years back when I was thinking about buying rental homes. The word from the forecasters then is that with the lower family size that there will be fewer people needing homes in the future and the demand would be lower for rental property. I think that is already happening in some areas. As the rich come South, will the poor go North to those homes that are in abundance there, because everybody left. I find this a most interesting thread. I am retired and thinking about updating my real estate brokers license that I have had for 30 years but never used because I was doing something else. My husband is retired and works out of our home for another company who has some of the accounts the company he retired from used to have. I wonder how many retirees will use the freedom to try new ventures and bring more business to the USA?

Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Default And thats the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
One other thought about this sentence:

"Lets see a $1,000 dollar investment each year today at say 40-50% return (tax free) on those wretched oil funds would be how much in 30 Years? Lets all use our power of persuasion to help the have nots invest so they can in the future become haves."

That's a really nice sentiment, but be careful. I learned the hard way that a lot of "have nots" really do not want to hear any helpful advice.

I worked in a small office in the late 1990s and at that time was making money hand over fist investing in mutual funds. My co-worker was a young single mom who was constantly borrowing money and using various welfare programs. She was a sweet girl who complained a lot about her situation. I liked her, so I thought I would help her out by talking a lot about saving and investments. I thought maybe she would feel supported and get some useful tips. I thought I was giving her a wonderful, life changing education.

I didn't find out until too late that she thought I was obnoxious.

A month or so later my coworkers got rid of me because they were sick of hearing me talk about saving money. I was transferred to another office.

Apparently they thought I was bragging--they thought I looked down on them--they were uncomfortable being in the same room with me and said that if I said the word "dow jones" one more time they would scream. I was stunned to learn this. IMO, I wasn't judging them and didn't mean to sound that way--but that's how it was taken. My attempt to help people was appreciated at all. Ah well--at least it was a lesson learned (for me).
Your experience is unfortunately repeated over and over.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Normie would have been a "national treasure" in our office. How I wish 10 years ago we had his wise advise available. We are now torturing our kids with articles and advise. Funny thing is, we are not getting together as much nowdays. LOL

Old 10-07-2007, 10:51 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The baby boomers will be a strain on the medical system. Other than that, I don't think they will be much of a strain, because the boomer population is not really that big (Gen X and the current crop of high school kids are much bigger). On top of that a large percentage of baby boomers will never really retire.
I believe you nailed it in a nutshell (this coming from a 50YO Boomer born in the peak year------1957).

And that the youngest ones will be age 43 in 2007.

We are definitely a diminishing minority here: 25% and dropping of Americans are Baby Boomers.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:45 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
All lower income kids and many middle-class kids can't afford to attend college any more! .
Bull. All kids can work their way through college. No one owes them an ivy league education. It may take them longer to get their degree doing it after work, that's all.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Looks to me like it would make more sense to increase the educational opportunities in this country so more nurses could be trained.

There is a real shortage of faculty members to teach. Teaching pays very poorly compared to humping shifts in a hospital.
One local community college (two years to an A.D. and the RN boards) has 200 seats and has something like 700 applicants.
I do think the nursing profession has created the problem somewhat, with the movement to have all BSNs and getting the many hospital schools closed. Hospital schools used to be three-year programs, and then there were many two-year programs- ideal for "non-traditional" students, who comprise a great number of nursing school applicants. My own hospital class had all of four 18-year-olds out of high school, one who dropped out by Thanksgiving to marry some boyfriend. Classes of 18-year-olds and the like had a dropout rate close to 40%. My class, average age 28-ish, had less than 10%.
My humble opinion about why there are not enough educational opportunities.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:51 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,410,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
It's just starting to happen. Baby Boomers will be retiring by the millions within the next few years.

I am wondering if some cities or states will be minus a lot of population in the near future. Will there be lots of retired people moving south?

There is the work place issue as well. With millions retiring will we have enough workers?

What is your vision of the USA in about 10 or 15 years?
I can see the workforce having struggles to keep up with the demands, us baby boomers are most old school when it comes to work ethics meaning we show up and perform our duties.

My husband's employer will be loosing the majority of their management team here in the next couple years, the current employees are not interested in cross training so they dont have anybody to step up to the plate and take on the duties of those leaving the positions.

My nephew recently graduated from Devry with a degree in computer science, he has a great paying job but can't handle the stress he was under the impression that he could get a degree and get a high paying job and just float along.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
The year 2008 will be here before you know it. I saw something on the news that said the first of the baby boomers will turn 62 and will be able to get their partial S.S. then. That means here comes the flood of soon to be retired baby boomers.

Watch out world because we are not going to be working much longer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement