Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 08:25 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,370,651 times

Advertisements

I'm not retired. However, when I do retire, no, absolutely not will I feel one ounce of guilt. I have worked my entire life so there is nothing for me to feel guilty about when I do reach retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,370,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Feel guilty? Are you crazy? I've worked from my senior year in HS, wife worked from her HS graduation. Planned our retirement from before we got married in 1974. Knew that neither of us wanted kids, so we are child free by choice. Both of us worked full time for 35 years. Saved and invested. Bought a home early and banked the pay raises over the years. Retired at age 55 with NO debt of any kind. Wife retired at 52 on an "early out" offer. No guilt at all.

No extravagant life style. No drugs. No lovers on the side. No boats; if I want to go fishing or boating, I'll go on a day-charter or rent a boat. No fancy cars; they EAT money. No pets or horses; they are as costly as kids, or more. Well dressed and well fed, but nothing extravagant, no Gucci, no Prada. Hart-Marx and Bill Blass suits were plenty fine enough for me. Took cruises. Took trips. Collected things we liked.

For damned sure no RV's that are one of the worst investments ever; if I want one I'll rent one, but would rather stay in a nice hotel - with room service, an exercise room, pool, free breakfast - why would I want to drive one of those RV's, much less own one. Sure, some folks spend their free time in the woods, maybe an RV fits that, still, that's an awful lump to pay for. The storage yards are FULL of the things, most of the year. Think twice about letting your "pride of ownership" (EGO!) take you down the road to debt debt debt.

No reason to be guilty unless you commit some sort of crime. No crime in doing your planning EARLY and sticking it to it.

There's nothing noble about working to the day you die, especially if you're broke and HAVE to work. If you are fortunate enough to do something you love doing, then do it as long as you enjoy it, however old you get.

I'm 61, retired 6 years ago. Every evening is Friday night. Every sun-up is Saturday morning. Every bottle of wine has my name on it.
Excellent post!! Yearsssss ago, my dad who had worked his entire life died at the age of 63 from a brain tumor...he never got to enjoy even "one" day of retirement. My one sister just died a few weeks ago; she was 67 and had been sick for about 4 years. She was forced into retirement due to her health and never enjoyed "one" day of her retirement due to her illness.

Alot of retirees have to keep working due to their income and that is sad since they have no choice.

Life is way too short to keep working until the day you die or can't (unless one absolutely has too). I had to wonder when I read these posts why on earth anyone would feel guilty for retiring. Those that retire have earned it. Enjoy your retirement!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 AM

698 posts, read 3,255,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
This question is for anyone else who retired before age 60.

I retired five years ago at age 53, after working fulltime ever since age 18. My father died unexpectedly in 2001 and I inherited his house, life insurance and retirement policies, et cetera. I decided to sell his house plus my own, because I'd fallen in love with an "older house with great character" (this is a euphemism for "Money Pit", by the way; I see elsewhere on the forum there's a young man who believes he can purchase an older home for $50,000 and spend no more than $2000 on repairs and improvements – he certainly is in for a rude awakening!) which I subsequently bought and spent almost three years restoring and repairing.

All of my friends, family and acquaintances are, however, still working full-time. I am the only one who has retired and at every social gathering someone ALWAYS asks the dreaded question: "So, what are you DOING with yourself nowadays? Are you WORKING?" in the tone of voice that implies rather "Are you still being a layabout, or have you decided to return to doing something productive?" During the years I was restoring the house, I at least had that "excuse", but it is now finished. I get the unmistakable sense that people feel there is no earthly reason why a healthy single childless 58-year-old woman of education and reasonable intelligence should not be still in the workforce… other than sheer laziness or irresponsibility, that is, neither of which has ever been the case. I have sometimes felt guilty enough to actually lie and say that I am doing temporary-employment work! That always results in a response of "Oh really? That's very nice" and the conversation turns elsewhere; but if I instead evade the question by answering "Oh, this and that", it continues on into more of a third-degree investigation: "But what exactly do you DO with all that free time?" There are times when I am tempted to reply "None of your bloody business" but of course I never do…

So I am wondering if others who chose early retirement feel, or are made to feel, uncomfortable or somehow 'guilty' about it at times?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I worked hard and sacrificed much for thirty-three years.
When I took an early buyout package,I didn't work anywhere part-time for the first few years. Then I tried several different part-time jobs only in areas that I enjoyed which were children,animals,and seniors. When I burnt out on those,I quit and went back to having my total freedom which I enjoy much more. When someone ask me what I do,I tell them whatever I need and want to do. It's wonderful and I have no regrets and no guilt or a feeling of I have to justify it. Without work,you discover a whole new and exciting world out there. Being away from work allows you to enjoy life in a way not available to you when you are working. Not having to work creates the ideal time to enjoy leisure time,a time like you never had before. I have told people before that I am a connoisseur of leisure now. HA! HA! LOVE IT!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 AM

126 posts, read 161,237 times
Default No guilt whatsoever

I have a countdown clock on my computer. Today is says "955 days to freedom" - freedom from work, but also freedom to work if I choose. I'll be 56, my wife 57, and we have our exit strategy in hand.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:57 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,960 times
I retired May 1st of this year at age 53 years 11 months and 348 days, and I don't feel a bit guilty. I've worked since I was 16 (except for 2 years when my sons were little) and for the last 32 years worked for state goverment. My contract with the state provided for a full pension with health insurance after 30 years - no age limitation. I fullfilled my part of the contract and now they are fullfilling theirs. I've earned this - no guilt whatsoever.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 PM

31,672 posts, read 40,884,092 times
Guilty no, successful yes, Blessed oh yeah with a capital B.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:11 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,140,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I retired May 1st of this year at age 53 years 11 months and 348 days, and I don't feel a bit guilty. I've worked since I was 16 (except for 2 years when my sons were little) and for the last 32 years worked for state goverment. My contract with the state provided for a full pension with health insurance after 30 years - no age limitation. I fullfilled my part of the contract and now they are fullfilling theirs. I've earned this - no guilt whatsoever.
Oops! Just reread my post...math error. Leave out the 11 months. Still don't feel guilty.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:07 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Feel guilty? Are you crazy? I've worked from my senior year in HS, wife worked from her HS graduation. Planned our retirement from before we got married in 1974. Knew that neither of us wanted kids, so we are child free by choice. Both of us worked full time for 35 years. Saved and invested. Bought a home early and banked the pay raises over the years. Retired at age 55 with NO debt of any kind. Wife retired at 52 on an "early out" offer. No guilt at all.

No extravagant life style. No drugs. No lovers on the side. No boats; if I want to go fishing or boating, I'll go on a day-charter or rent a boat. No fancy cars; they EAT money. No pets or horses; they are as costly as kids, or more. Well dressed and well fed, but nothing extravagant, no Gucci, no Prada. Hart-Marx and Bill Blass suits were plenty fine enough for me. Took cruises. Took trips. Collected things we liked.

For damned sure no RV's that are one of the worst investments ever; if I want one I'll rent one, but would rather stay in a nice hotel - with room service, an exercise room, pool, free breakfast - why would I want to drive one of those RV's, much less own one. Sure, some folks spend their free time in the woods, maybe an RV fits that, still, that's an awful lump to pay for. The storage yards are FULL of the things, most of the year. Think twice about letting your "pride of ownership" (EGO!) take you down the road to debt debt debt.

No reason to be guilty unless you commit some sort of crime. No crime in doing your planning EARLY and sticking it to it.

There's nothing noble about working to the day you die, especially if you're broke and HAVE to work. If you are fortunate enough to do something you love doing, then do it as long as you enjoy it, however old you get.

I'm 61, retired 6 years ago. Every evening is Friday night. Every sun-up is Saturday morning. Every bottle of wine has my name on it.
Great post! Sounds like us!

People would be amazed() if only they knew that if you're conservative with your money and

know the difference between a "need" and a "want" ...

retirement can come earlier than death.

The part about the RV's is so true ...I never understood why anyone would pay to drag their house with them on vacation???

As you say, The price of one of these things could pay for MANY MANY luxurious trips ....why would anyone go on "vacation" and have to cook and clean???

And the maintenence and set up and there's only so many places you can stop and it's right next to 50 more of the same vehicles and the person most likely to have a heart attack always drives(!) and they obviously can't go over 45 MPH !

I am so glad I'm old....haven't made a mortgage payment in 25 years.

Forgot to add....

guilty smilty!

I EARNED retirement!

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 05-21-2009 at 07:43 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 22,819 times
Default No more guilt...

I retired at 46 myself a couple of years ago. It took me a while to transition but I am enjoying myself now. I found others like me and I've got my new circle of friends to hang with. We play with our toys mostly and I've got some projects in my garage to occupy my time. Wife still working and daughter will be in 5th grade next year so we vacation around school holidays and summer. I am looking at becoming a winter Texan and plan on trading in my Truck Camper and getting a motorhome instead of buying a vacation home up North somewhere. Life is good...

Old 05-22-2009, 07:58 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
Retire in a month at age 46 yrs of age. Have saved a large chunk of my monthly pay check, have lived beneath my means but always felt comfortable in my living conditions. Bought a new car about every 5 yrs, that's about my only waste of $$$$.

I've already been quizzed to death about what I'm going to do with myself once 1 July hits.

Guilt trips are being laid on me - family will likely do the same to me as well. I'm not guilty nor am I worried about my upcoming retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement