Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 02:37 AM

252 posts, read 1,072,149 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if maybe some of the posters here could help me, I have two options for retirement right now...........Both of them seem to be great opportunities, but both are so different in the atmosphere........!!!

The first one is outside of a big city, and has great parks, and lots of water which I really enjoy......Jobs opportunities are not that great, housing is about average, I wouldn't be able to transfer from my current job so I would have to quit and then relocate.......I like this city better than this other one, but I am afraid of not finding employment there, and be able to live on the wages with the housing the way it is. I am thinking since there are more people in the area I would be able to meet people easier.

The other city, I like alot too but not as much as the first one. It is pretty cheap to live there, and I can transfer thru my current job there, and make pretty close to what I am making now...It is kind of isolated, and it doesn't have the parks and water the other has.......The population is about the same, but since it is isolated I worry about meeting people.

Both are college towns which offer good opportunities also.

I am single at 50 so cheap housing, and parks & recreation are a must for me! and both have what are important to me! One has the jobs/housing the other has the ambience/recreation I crave........UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Either way I feel like I have to give up something!!!!!

Any help? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,403,465 times
I'd pick the second one. Without job security and financial peace of mind, there are big problems. Just my .02 cents. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
I was wondering if maybe some of the posters here could help me, I have two options for retirement right now...........Both of them seem to be great opportunities, but both are so different in the atmosphere........!!!

The first one is outside of a big city, and has great parks, and lots of water which I really enjoy......Jobs opportunities are not that great, housing is about average, I wouldn't be able to transfer from my current job so I would have to quit and then relocate.......I like this city better than this other one, but I am afraid of not finding employment there, and be able to live on the wages with the housing the way it is. I am thinking since there are more people in the area I would be able to meet people easier.

The other city, I like alot too but not as much as the first one. It is pretty cheap to live there, and I can transfer thru my current job there, and make pretty close to what I am making now...It is kind of isolated, and it doesn't have the parks and water the other has.......The population is about the same, but since it is isolated I worry about meeting people.

Both are college towns which offer good opportunities also.

I am single at 50 so cheap housing, and parks & recreation are a must for me! and both have what are important to me! One has the jobs/housing the other has the ambience/recreation I crave........UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Either way I feel like I have to give up something!!!!!

Any help? LOL
If you aren't done working yet, I'd pick location number 2. You'll meet people at the job. When you are done working, you can always move to location number 1.

One thing about college towns...are you planning to rent? You'll probably want to avoid apartment complexes with a lot of students simply because they won't keep the same hours that you will (noise) and there will be a lot of moving in and moving out. If you are renting, I'd ask right up front - What percentage of the apartment complex are students?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,841 times
I agree with the above post about the apt bldgs in a college town. However I have noticed and more and more when I have asked apt managers when I look at apts about the tenants that live there. I have been told they are not allowed to give out information on the type population that lives there. I don't know if this is a Oregon thing or what, but I have been told this. I also would go with your second choice also, but in the end your choice will probably go where your instincts and heart tell you to go.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM

80 posts, read 461,850 times
Topo-

I agree generally with the comments that have already been given. Going with the job makes sense, and I like LauraC's insight that you can always move to your more ideal location later.

I would add that it's hard to give much sound advice without more specifics on you and the potential locales involved. I would advise you to seek input from people who really know you and/or from a trusted and objective source. You may also want (if you haven't done so already) to post under those locations for an insider's take on the places you're considering.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:26 PM

450 posts, read 2,057,335 times
Wink Privacy and tenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OREGONRAIN View Post
I agree with the above post about the apt bldgs in a college town. However I have noticed and more and more when I have asked apt managers when I look at apts about the tenants that live there. I have been told they are not allowed to give out information on the type population that lives there. I don't know if this is a Oregon thing or what, but I have been told this. I also would go with your second choice also, but in the end your choice will probably go where your instincts and heart tell you to go.
You are so right. Landlords cannot by law give out any information on the suitability of any tenant. I suggest you tell the landlord you want to do a walk about the unit in the evening to observe for yourself what the complex is like. You might also drive out there around 1:00 in the morning and just cruise through to see if it is a civilized place or not at that hour. Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM

75 posts, read 278,699 times
You said parks and recreation are a must.. Pick the city with the best of these qualities. You can easily make friends no matter where you are. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 02:47 AM

252 posts, read 1,072,149 times
I thought about that too, living in the 2nd place, and then after I am done working move to the 1st place, the only problem is that is, the fact that by then that place will be even more expensive than it is now......? Right now, it is about average in cost of living leaning more on the above average and over the years it is just getting more and more pricey...So, if I work at the other place until retirement and then try to move there......YIKES

My practical side says move to the job, and the cheaper living and my heart says move to the 1st choice. LOL

I just don't want to move anymore once I move this time!!!!

Thank you everyone for you input! Seeing others perspective on things helps alot

Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times
I've looked at enough places to make my head swim!

This is always so true. Interesting places to live have fewer decent jobs. Why? Because people want to live there and they can pay less. Awful places to live have great jobs. Why? They have to pay more to attract people. Just like you, I am looking for that place in the middle!

Where is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement