Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM

713 posts, read 2,712,223 times

Advertisements

I have read all of the posts but I don't recall the OP stating what she plans to do when she retires? I am in a different quandry, having been medically retired from the army at age 20. I am now 43. I have worked 8 yrs out of my life. The money has allowed me to stay home and raise my kids. Due to kids, moves and divorce I don't own a home. I am bored. I feel as though I have missed out on a lot. I am going back to school in the fall and plan to work when I finish. At this point I dont see myself as traditionally retiring after this is accomplished. I have already had my "retirement" and it hasn't given me much satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 04:29 PM

857 posts, read 4,872,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey View Post
Thanks guys for all the replies. They were/are definitely appreciated . I bought a house for 185k and am going to live below my means. But I must tell you that I have no furniture and that I am moving into a 1600 sq house from a studio apt. I am tempted to fill it up with furniture. But it is only me. I think that I could be spending that money in a savings account. I will have my student loan paid off in 2012. I need reassurance guys. help.
Good move. Don't get in too much of a rush to get it looking good. Take your time. You ought to go around to some model homes in new subdivisions with a digital camera and when you see something you like take a picture. Get an idea what your "style" is before you start to decorate. Also, before you hire someone to do anything always try it yourself. I had no idea just how capable I was when I bought my first house. If you do something and you mess it up you can hire someone to fix it, but why not start out by trying to do it yourself?
As for furniture, I used to go to used furniture places when I was starting out. I once bought an entire bedroom set... bed, night stand, vanity, bench, dresser, armoire, and two mirrors... all for $300. I had to refinish them, but it was worth it. For upholstered things like sofas and chairs, try St Vincent De Paul. My mom works at the church and says that people are always donating brand new furniture (not nasty old stuff that the dog would nap on).
And remember... anything you don't spend you should put into some sort of savings and forget you have it. I have made it a habit to only live on the money coming in, not the money I already saved. You will be amazed how quickly it grows.
Good luck to you and I hope you can retire at 40!

Old 04-06-2008, 02:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,306,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerjack88 View Post
I would like to get some advice/suggestions from retirees (recent and not) on how one could retire early. What I would like to know is: what one did in order to retire early (before retirement age 62)? I am a single 28 year old female and will begin working in government (county-sector) and would like to know what to do in order to retire in 15, 20,25 years. I don't plan on having children---any time soon anyway, nor a husband . I have a couple of suze orman books and a david bach book...Any advice and stories are helpful. Thank you
Scotiabank - Be a Savvy Day-to-Day Shopper (http://www.scotiabank.com/cda/content/0,1608,CID10757_LIDen,00.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement