U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,318,880 times

Advertisements

I am not retired, but soon enough, I seem to get the idea from AARP's monthly magazine and it's ads sent to me via email and their "approved partners" via USPS. That they cater to the people that have lots of money and go on expensive vacations or have large amounts of money to invest. I see older movie stars, singers, etc. Telling me about how they live with their millions and businesses now.
The AARP magazine articles tend to lean there too and the ads in it surely don't fit into my budget. Or what it will be then. The articles are about people still working past retirement are about executives and higher end career people "playing" at work to me. Not a job like greeter or cashier at walmart or convienance store clerk if you can get 40 hours doing it there.
And their political leanings sure don't seem to me to be for the normal person living on say less than $25,000.00 a year. I know alot of retirees that wish they had that much to live on. For the TWO of them! I know some with two jobs and don't get 40 hours a week.
Am I just not seeing it? Am I the only one?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 AM

21,697 posts, read 25,287,173 times
Not just you. I have the same feelings about them although I do like some of their articles.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM

31,027 posts, read 37,064,404 times
I love the AARP magazine but I also liked and still read Money, Kiplinger, Smart Money etc. I understand your point but they never claimed to be the defintive retirement magazine. They have a segment of the market and that is what they are geared for. I wouldn't call them ineffective as it is probably more just not practical as a information tool for some.

Here is todays edition and it just might have something for you.
http://bulletin.aarp.org/

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-17-2009 at 12:05 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 02:26 PM

2,172 posts, read 7,113,026 times
I feel they are primarily a marketing tool these days rather than a group representing the needs of the retired. The amount of mail you get from them and their "partners" is overwhelming.
They lost me when they joined up with Secure Horizons Medicare Advantage Program and gutted that of benefits while greatly increasing the price. I was in the plan and left for better programs.
I do feel they gear toward retirees with more money. They can sell more stuff to them. That seems to be what they're about these days. Selling.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM

31,027 posts, read 37,064,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
I feel they are primarily a marketing tool these days rather than a group representing the needs of the retired. The amount of mail you get from them and their "partners" is overwhelming.
They lost me when they joined up with Secure Horizons Medicare Advantage Program and gutted that of benefits while greatly increasing the price. I was in the plan and left for better programs.
I do feel they gear toward retirees with more money. They can sell more stuff to them. That seems to be what they're about these days. Selling.
They have gotten in trouble with their health care partnership a year or so ago and the marketing of it. I would be wary of buying any product they endorse. The possibility of a financial relationship that helps them is a concern. Consumer Reports has done a number of reports on their products that aren't exactly confidence builders. Financially Seniors are a mixed bag of different income categories. Everyone wants a piece of those with discretionary income

Last edited by TuborgP; 05-17-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 04:39 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,756,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
I am not retired, but soon enough, I seem to get the idea from AARP's monthly magazine and it's ads sent to me via email and their "approved partners" via USPS. That they cater to the people that have lots of money and go on expensive vacations or have large amounts of money to invest. I see older movie stars, singers, etc. Telling me about how they live with their millions and businesses now.
The AARP magazine articles tend to lean there too and the ads in it surely don't fit into my budget. Or what it will be then. The articles are about people still working past retirement are about executives and higher end career people "playing" at work to me. Not a job like greeter or cashier at walmart or convienance store clerk if you can get 40 hours doing it there.
And their political leanings sure don't seem to me to be for the normal person living on say less than $25,000.00 a year. I know alot of retirees that wish they had that much to live on. For the TWO of them! I know some with two jobs and don't get 40 hours a week.
Am I just not seeing it? Am I the only one?
If anything the AARP is a powerful political lobby group that champions
the needs of the senior citizens and retired people of all ages. A voice
that has been critical to the whole retired community.

One also has to becareful of the insurance products the sell 'cause other
compaines sell competing products cheaper.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,393,527 times
There is a more realistic group called the Gray(Grey?)Panthers, but I think it only functions on the West Coast.
The AARP actually endorsed the Bush Medicare Prescription Drug plan, agains the wishes of its subscribers. Many quit due to that.
Businesses are attracted to the AARP because of its huge readership. THey would cut a deal with AARP, giving the org huge discounts for hawking their products. AARP used to pass much of the savings on to the subscribers who bought the products (insurance, etc). Now, AARP keeps that money and you don't really get a good deal from the companies they hawk. You are often better off shopping around and making arrangements independent of them.

I like some of the articles and membership is cheap enough but I buy nothing from them because, to me, it is not good value.

They do have active groups all over the countries and THEY may be effective lobbies for us in various states because they are grass roots. I have not joined a local group: I am moving, but that might be a worthwhile thing to do.

The head of the AARP, I think, is a marketing guy who once worked for the drug industry.

We need a better group to represent us, in my opinion - or at least some stiff competition.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:47 PM

8,955 posts, read 18,756,506 times
While I agree that AARP is not perfect, what is?, they do give a voice to folk's who wouldn't
have one any other way. As to their products, they have to pay the freight somehow but not
on my nickle since I can do better on my own. At best they are the insurer of last resort for
millions of folk's.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 PM

4,895 posts, read 7,697,717 times
I subscribe basically because of the discounts I can get for car rentals, hotels, etc.

But, politically, they are of completely opposite views as me, and it is difficult to read their articles when they lean so one sided (very left). I feel they are too politically one sided because seniors are of all political leanings.

But I feel I do get something out of each month's publication that I didn't know before, so it's worth it from that standpoint. I haven't subscribed to anything they are selling so I haven't run into those types of issues.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:23 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,612,073 times
AARP has become like so many specail interest just that and have even gone more into selling thnings to get more money. It supports alo0t of people in that interest group financiallly also that work and write for them;pretty well.Really not a grass routes organization how like so many others have gotten to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement