U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 10:14 AM

1,164 posts, read 3,392,458 times

Advertisements

We are both retired government employees and direct depositors according to the info on the internet we should have gotten our checks 5/2 and 5/9.
Any idea who to contact about where our checks are?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:28 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,449,663 times
I thought retirees get theirs as a deduction on the taxes and/or decreased withholding. But I'm not getting it anyway....

Old 05-28-2009, 11:31 AM

48,508 posts, read 88,621,764 times
According to what I have read you must be getting social security,SSI or veteran benefits or railroad retirement and have got them before feb 2009 to get a stimulus check. They will be mail by early june. From what i read if you get decreased withhodling then you will have to pay the 250 or 400 back at tax time as you can't get both.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:08 PM

4,697 posts, read 5,833,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
We are both retired government employees and direct depositors according to the info on the internet we should have gotten our checks 5/2 and 5/9.
Any idea who to contact about where our checks are?
My understanding is, you don't get a check.

As a government retiree - federal, state, or (in some cases, I believe) local - instead of a $250 check, you get a $250 tax credit when you sit down to do your federal income tax return for 2009.

My wife and I are federal retirees. We'll get a $500 tax credit that will reduce our 2009 federal income tax liability.

See: Recovery Check for Seniors is on the Way - Kiplinger.com

"Government retirees won't get a check but instead will receive a $250 tax credit when they file their taxes next year. The credit is available to individuals who receive a federal or state government pension or an annuity from work not covered by Social Security, says Bob Scharin, senior tax analyst for Thomson Reuters."

Old 05-28-2009, 02:32 PM

819 posts, read 1,433,346 times
If I'm not mistaken, it is only for retirees collecting SS. I received mine today! I am a federal retiree, but do collect SS also.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 PM

4,697 posts, read 5,833,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyMJ View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it is only for retirees collecting SS. I received mine today! I am a federal retiree, but do collect SS also.
From the link in my previous post:
"Uncle Sam will automatically send the $250 one-time payment to people who receive Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, veterans' benefits or Railroad Retirement benefits. If you receive benefits from more than one program, you'll get one $250 check. If both spouses qualify, couples will receive $500."
For federal retirees, it depends .... for a CSRS retiree like me, since I don't collect Social Security, I'll get a tax credit. FERS retirees, since Social Security is part of their retirement, will get a $250 check.

The Social Security Administration has a Frequently Asked Questions page about the stimulus payment up on their website - see:

Find An Answer to Your Question (Page 1 of 2)

Old 05-28-2009, 09:03 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,621,764 times
The catch is that the withholding charts have been changed and most that don't change their withholding are getting it now in weekly payments.It may mean that some people will be paying in april when they didn't before unless the tax laws get changed.Ohterwsie its just delayiong the tax paymnet . If you aren't being paid by one of those getting the supplement payment you maybe getting the withholding cut but too much to keep from paying more at tax time even with the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement