Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 03:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping the Met will broadcast its New Year's gala on HD. If not, I'm contemplating what to do with friends. Go out for the local First Night celebration (brrr, kind of chilly going place to place downtown...)?

What are your plans--anything unusual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
We have been staying home for years now to avoid the drunks on the road. Even our kids hunker down and just fix a good meal and watch the ball drop. I am usually out cold by 10 anyway. But I think I may start drinking now in preparation of the ball dropping.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:53 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Normally we sleep. But my brother and family will be visiting us here in Florida, so I suspect we'll go out somewhere locally, or at least take a walk downtown after a nice meal somewhere.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Staying home. We don't go out on Amateur Night. Maybe a movie, video game, some Bailey's for her and some Amaretto for me.

Old 12-03-2011, 04:31 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
Most likely be home, which I have come to enjoy 10x's more than going out.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Wow, a pretty "staid" bunch, I'd say! I thought everyone would talk about dinner with champagne and dancing and painting the town red till all hours....

Old 12-03-2011, 05:57 PM

698 posts, read 1,051,692 times
we'll probably go out for an early dinner- maybe around 7pm or so- and usually prefer someplace with some atmospere, charm, water setting, - several possibilities nearby.

after dinner we'll go home, light the fire,and cuddle up on the sofa while we listen to music. we usually talk about the past year, what we loved, what we didn't love so much, those things for which we're thankful. we often stay up to midnight but not always.

last year we were invited to a small neighborhood party which was pleasant enough, but on new year's eve, especialy, i like to spend it with the people or person who gives true meaning to my life rather than making small talk with acquaintances. i've spent this night in many different ways over the years and i'm grateful for the wonderful memories of lovely evenings with people who were the center of my world at the time.
for me it is always a bittersweet evening when the past and the future meet, and i like to spend it quietly with the people who matter most to me.

catsy girl

Old 12-03-2011, 06:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Staying home, preparing a delicious meal for all and being thankful that we all survived another year.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm hoping the Met will broadcast its New Year's gala on HD. If not, I'm contemplating what to do with friends. Go out for the local First Night celebration (brrr, kind of chilly going place to place downtown...)?

What are your plans--anything unusual?
Nothing "unusual" at all. Since I'll likely be working the next day I will probably be sawing logs by 10 PM...but that's what I usually do anyway. lol I haven't been out for New Years in years and years but haven't missed it.

It is that time of year when I do an assessment of the past year, think about goals for NEXT year and note all that I am thankful for.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:44 PM

419 posts, read 758,474 times
I would like to take a moment to reminisce about New Year's eve celebrations in years gone by.

Do y'all remember the Guy Lombardo New Years eve celebration that was televised from New York for many years? It lasted for hours with great music and performers. The crowd was older, maybe the ages we are now. They were decked out in formal wear having a great time dancing, wearing their festive hats and blowing their noise makers. They danced the night away while they as well as us the TV viewers waited for the ball to drop in Times Square. I always liked to watch that show even as a teenager.

My last venture out on New Years eve was in 1999 to attend a Judd's concert in Phoenix. The Judd's reunited for this special concert to celebrate the new millenium and Ashley was was with them on stage. It was an intimate setting and we were provided hats, noise makers & little flashlights. A wonderful concert and great fun to bring in 2000. Upon leaving the concert, we encountered a star filled balmy night with fireworks still exploding in the sky. It was a very special evening for me.

Like most of you, I will spend a quiet evening at home. It would be nice to have some special programming on TV. If nothing more, it at least keeps us awake until the New Year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement