Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,752 times

Advertisements

No problem as long as your health hold up.
Thahs a BIG if though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 04:41 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
As a little kid in the early 30's did experience the out house in back while my dad was building our small house with a inside john that made me wonder where all the water went when I flushed it.

Fast forward to some military time with a shelter half and a sleeping bag on the ground.

Today I'm in a 1450 sq ft bi level home (I built it) that is too big for me. My legs are giving out and the long commute from the bedroom to the upstairs main bathroom is catching up with me. Should have looked ahead on a personal nature and not looking to who may be living here after I'm gone.

I studied Architecture in college and thus was looking to the future needs of any resident.

Deeding the house (in Baja Mexico) to my 5 yr old (Great) Grandson as a future investment for him. He has dual citizenship so the process will be trouble free.

Still think that a smaller 800 sq ft home would be ideal...easy commute from one room to another...easy to heat...easy to clean...less furniture to own...many pluses.

Decades ago that was the norm even with large families. No one was in debt like today.

I would even consider living in a tent if the local powers would allow me.

Of course today we have the small self contained travel trailer that would eliminate the tent...only need is the septic and fresh water supply.

Steve

Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Retire and Live in a Tent
Retire and live in a van
Retire and live in a cardboard box
is this all a part of the 401k plan where Wall Street got everyones pension
or the Housing Bubble where Wall Street got their equity?

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM

175 posts, read 468,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As a little kid in the early 30's did experience the out house in back while my dad was building our small house with a inside john that made me wonder where all the water went when I flushed it.

Fast forward to some military time with a shelter half and a sleeping bag on the ground.

Today I'm in a 1450 sq ft bi level home (I built it) that is too big for me. My legs are giving out and the long commute from the bedroom to the upstairs main bathroom is catching up with me. Should have looked ahead on a personal nature and not looking to who may be living here after I'm gone.

I studied Architecture in college and thus was looking to the future needs of any resident.

Deeding the house (in Baja Mexico) to my 5 yr old (Great) Grandson as a future investment for him. He has dual citizenship so the process will be trouble free.

Still think that a smaller 800 sq ft home would be ideal...easy commute from one room to another...easy to heat...easy to clean...less furniture to own...many pluses.

Decades ago that was the norm even with large families. No one was in debt like today.

I would even consider living in a tent if the local powers would allow me.

Of course today we have the small self contained travel trailer that would eliminate the tent...only need is the septic and fresh water supply.

Steve

Thanks for posting Steve.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,144 times
I AM a outdoors man who would love to camp out year round! For Right now I camp on the BLM land in Quartzsite AZ from about OCT 15-30th till march 15 30th and I love it! the hardest thing is water you have to walk to get it and then return. I do not drive and take greyhound to get to AZ Once there I repack my gear in my fold-able wagon and begin my journey. I would love to find a place down there to do this year round. I am looking for a place that would let me camp free in exchange for some work! I am a treasure hunter" gold mining" with a metal detector " a rock hound and a jewelry maker. During the Winter month I stay with a female friend who loves the company and my GOOD coffee . If anyone hears of such a place please let me know. Thank you! William CASH Parks! CONTACT- gaurdian360@live.com

Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
They are a few years away from "I can lay down on that ground but how will I ever get up" age.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM

23 posts, read 51,831 times
Don't know if I could go with a tent but I do have an 18 foot toy hauler to haul my Harley and it has bed, toilet, TV, shower, sink, refer, microwave, stove, furnace and is fully self contained. That's my possible plan--just have to try it for short trips first. I can boondock or go with full hook-ups like any other RV. Being self-employed, the darned healthcare costs are killing me until I reach Medicare age in 5 years.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
I think if I wanted to REALLY downsize, consolidate and live minimally I'd opt for a mini-house.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM

88 posts, read 236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
This is my kind of living! Close to nature. Low monthly bills. What are your thoughts on living year 'round in a tent? Maybe you could retire earlier Mathjak!

Web site here...North Woods Ways :: Classic Wilderness Guiding (http://www.northwoodsways.com/media/content.html - broken link)
=============================
I like camping once in a while but not living in a tent 24/7 as a retirement option. NO WAY this lifestyle would not interest me.

Spending a couple of hours in my screened room very late evenings or in the morning hours after exercising my dogs is fine. I can enjoy the lake, my natural backyard & observe the wildlife free from insects. When it gets too warm out there, I prefer being comfortable inside the house with the AC.

To each his own concerning the tent retirement option. If nothing else, it would certainly be a less expensive way to live/ exist.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:51 PM

361 posts, read 737,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourimomo View Post
This web site will answer that question and alot more....
About Us
Thank you for posting... so interesting.
Also like the "tiny houses"...
How much space do we need without our stuff?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement