Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2009, 07:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

My FIL is 87, broke his hip back in April and is about 60% better. I feel he is depressed and he used to have this hobby where he made these geometic design type things - in his garage, he has over 2000 of them and throughout the house, another 1500 or so. They are different colors. Since he broke his hip, he does not seem as interested in making these. (He sleeps a lot).

Even at 87 (prior to the hip - he fell off his bike), he would ride his bike 20 miles every other day and then go dancing 3 times a week. (These are activities he loved and misses and I feel he is depressed b/c he thinks he may not be able to do them again). (For the next month, his sister, age 88, is staying with him so he gives us a break). He is 1 hour from us.

Anyway, I had an idea to try to sell these geometrics. Even if he sold 5 a week, this would encourage him, boost his spirits and he would feel empowered.

What would be the best way to try to sell these? (My husband and I are not flea market shoppers so we do not have first hand knowledge).

I would be thinking of selling them for $5.99 an item, something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 09:18 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Two possibles are ebay and etsy.
Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade
Also check your local Craigslist.org for community festivals and flea markets that would let him have a booth for low cost. He'd probably enjoy the interaction with people.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Sounds like he was in preety good shape for his age prior. I suggest also that he after therapy get more of the same. most times people that need therapy can lose the desire to get better espeically at that age.Kind of a my time has come to be disabled.That is why when my brother had this ;I made a ponit of taking him and including having lunch together.Bro9thewr ended up get better after about a year so you hardly noticed compared to when the normal therapy ended.Know this was the quaetion but just make sure he feels that he can p[rogress and you know he can.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:24 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
There is a classified section at the bottom of this forum. Can you get a picture of some posted? If you don't know how there are plenty here who will help.

Might be a good place to start. Figure out shipping to California and use that. That covers you pretty much anywhere you would ship.

//www.city-data.com/forum/classified-ads/

Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Smile A picture of the item

I can try to take a picture on my cell but then what do I do?

(My husband thinks I'm crazy but my FIL likes the idea so I'm going for it - I would love this to become something and then he would blossom!)

Old 09-28-2009, 12:21 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I can try to take a picture on my cell but then what do I do?

(My husband thinks I'm crazy but my FIL likes the idea so I'm going for it - I would love this to become something and then he would blossom!)
And his is the opinion that counts! Good luck with it.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:47 PM

48 posts, read 169,272 times
Do any of the local churches or civic organizations sponsor yard sales or flea markets? Usually you can rent a table for +/- $15.00 and sell crafts or other goods. This might get FIL out of the house and make a few $$ selling his geometrics.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM

Smile Flea Markets

Not sure in his area - not as together as where we live. His poor church has a declining attendance - now only 40 or 50 at a service, used to be hundreds. It's something we would have to check out.

We have a flea market about 25 minutes from us but don't you have to be at these things very early in the morning? (That's where we would have a problem).

I've just heard of a place opening an hour from us the other way called "Garage Sale Depot" - that might be a place we could park some items and see if they sell. Even a test for $1 here or there would show interest.

It's something he's done since he was 12 or 13 and when he was healthy, he would go into the garage and make some more. There are literally thousands in his house. The rest of the stuff he has is just junk.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:06 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Transferring from a cell phone is not as simple as it might be. Unless you have the right features on the phone it can't be done.

No digital camera available? Even if you borrow one and send the resulting pictures to your PC in an email that would work.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
Do you have a friend or neighbor that could take a few pictures for you and help to post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement