Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 AM

204 posts, read 681,341 times

Advertisements

As my dad always says: "Money is just something that should help you live a better life"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:25 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,897,024 times
To me, money means freedom. Working all the time is slavery, and only money of my own can emancipate me.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,993,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I find it really quite simple. I either have it or I don't. I'm a boomer who survived the market melt-down without losing a penny by parking my 401(k) in a safe, savings fund as soon as I read the market tea leaves and continued to invest and save. I also was in a career that provides me with a defined-benefit retirement which, with the addition of Social Security, is more than ample for my needs.

To me, the only "secret" was hard work, reasonable frugality and prudence!
Kudos for practicing proper planning and discipline. I think your name "Curmudgeon" says alot, means you weren't out there partying like it was 1999 and expecting someone else to pick up the tab. I wish there was a vocal boomer group that told the wasteful boomers what they have done wrong and what it's costing the rest of us.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,108,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
Security. At least as much as it can provide.

It does not represent material things, happiness, etc. It only represents security.
Money=material things, as physical security (in the wide spectrum of what that term means) is essentially a matter of physical things or services provided by physical beings.

Without that equivalency, money means nothing as far as secuity is concerned.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 AM

18,655 posts, read 33,234,085 times
Money can buy non-material services that can make life more pleasant or safer. A lawyer when needed. A mechanic. Medical care. A mortgage payment instead of psychos living above and alongside my little apartment (happened twice in the city).
Money is also support for others. I feel very good about sending checks to groups that are doing work I can't do but want to see done.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,011,496 times
Money does not equal genuine value.

Loads of useless things in life can generate "Money" not least stupid marketing lies to attract people to buy more crap they don't need. But it's mostly useless in the long run of benefiting humanity, and therefore worthless.

If such a thing is required then only to survive and no more. The rest in life is what we were given imagination and creativity for, not money.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,126,681 times
Money can't buy hapiness, but did you ever try to buy groceries with hapiness ?

Old 10-03-2009, 01:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,011,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Money can't buy hapiness, but did you ever try to buy groceries with hapiness ?
Once upon a time people used to grow them themselves, before everything became "incorporated".

I think "groceries" come under the category of "survival" I mentioned in the first post.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:25 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,865,842 times
Money represents security to me. In order keep you where you live at, to buy things you really need (food, hygiene products, and clothes), and for your vehicle to keep going you need money. I believe in hardwork to keep the money and a way to get the things you really need. It's security. And a means of survival too.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:31 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,126,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Once upon a time people used to grow them themselves, before everything became "incorporated".

I think "groceries" come under the category of "survival" I mentioned in the first post.
Seems to me grocers were around since the beginning of our country.

I doubt the tea talked about in the colonial days was sold only in hardware stores
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement