Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times

Advertisements

The current annual income cap for Soc. Sec. taxes is, I think, $106,500. Certainly there are many people who have much higher incomes. Raising the income cap would take care of Soc. Sec., period. As it is, the cap goes up about $2K every year.
Healthcare, now... a huge issue on every front.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 08:25 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
As a retiree the thing that is killing me is that I can no longer count on any return from my investments.
Real Estate sucks, CDs pay nothing, the market is too volitile. I was doing better under Carter than I am now

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Bascaiklly you sound like your inthe right position in that you ahve not losss moeny. But if so then you should be make more on stocks how lookig at the markets.Of course real esate is badas that was what crashed the most. CD will pay nothign when there is so mcuh governamnt liquidy available now at cheap rates.We never seen was theat kind of government feeding the eonomy liquidy is why it was better during carter.look at the value of the dollar.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascaiklly you sound like your inthe right position in that you ahve not losss moeny. But if so then you should be make more on stocks how lookig at the markets.Of course real esate is badas that was what crashed the most. CD will pay nothign when there is so mcuh governamnt liquidy available now at cheap rates.We never seen was theat kind of government feeding the eonomy liquidy is why it was better during carter.look at the value of the dollar.
Actually I made a bundle with Carter. Turned a quick $100K on Real Estate and then powed it in to 5yr CDs at 14%. I'm OK for now because I still have more coming in than I spend. I guess that's why I moved to AZ rather than stay in CA

Old 10-13-2009, 11:59 AM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
long term i have always made money... short term some years up some years down but long term i always averaged over 9% for more then 22 years.. i recently got more conservative but i still anticipate 6-7% long term. in fact the portfolio mix i use has averaged over 9% for more than 30 years

investing in retirement is still about long term not what happens day to day or year over year. . money you need to eat with in 20-30 years from now is still long term money

Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
long term i have always made money... short term some years up some years down but long term i always averaged over 9% for more then 22 years.. i recently got more conservative but i still anticipate 6-7% long term. in fact the portfolio mix i use has averaged over 9% for more than 30 years

investing in retirement is still about long term not what happens day to day or year over year. . money you need to eat with in 20-30 years from now is still long term money
As you and I have discussed not current retiree's should be hurting short term from the market down turn. If they had a short term basket of 2-4 years needs invested in bonds or cash they haven't lost anything. There other two baskets would have rebounded considerably since March so whats the issue?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM

106,676 posts, read 108,856,202 times
I guess alot got scared.... the truth is they will probley do themselves more harm trying to avoid risk then taking on some risk...

they better have a pension or lots a dough that dosnt have to keep up with inflation if they want to go risk free.

they better plan on having to take almost double the amount out 20 years or so from now compared to now if we even run 3% inflation.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-13-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 02:54 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I guess alot got scared.... the truth is they will probley do themselves more harm trying to avoid risk then taking on some risk...

they better have a pension or lots a dough that dosnt have to keep up with inflation if they want to go risk free.

they better plan on having to take almost double the amount out 20 years or so from now compared to now if we even run 3% inflation.
I was watching Bloomberg yesterday and they had folks on talking about retirement strategy in light of the article in Time about 401K's. They made a point that the issue for folks in this current downturn was their allocation strategy and how they had not just their funds but their mutual funds allocated. They didn't get chance to elaborate. It would have been helpful to folks if they had. If you had your money separated by asset classes you are more protected than if your funds are blended together within a mix of asset classes. That is the problem with target date funds.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If you max out your 401k max out a Roth and pay your house off fast (15 year note or LESS) you should do o.k. - a real estate rental or two could help if you have what it takes.

Otherwise you should have fun and definitely see a little of the world while you are young - you can take those experiences throughout your life and it's a great vehicle for conversation, friendship and education.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Actually I made a bundle with Carter. Turned a quick $100K on Real Estate and then powed it in to 5yr CDs at 14%. I'm OK for now because I still have more coming in than I spend. I guess that's why I moved to AZ rather than stay in CA
So why the whining . That is the way the markets work; otherwsie it would be a sure thing. If it were that then prices would inflate to match and we all would be poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement