Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,328 times

Advertisements

Have you moved yet? Your post is very inspiring to me, since I too am planning to relocate at the age of 57 to a whole new city, quit my current job (which doesn't pay much), and completely start over from scratch as if I was just fresh out of college at age 22. I was my mother's care taker for about 14 years after my father passed away. She passed away three years ago this past week and I too felt like I wanted to start over, but did not at the time because I was so grief stricken and wanted to heal. I took a full time job in the school system as an assistant, because I was already employed there as a substitute teacher, and felt I could get through an interview with no problems since I wasn't mentally not there at the time. But now, I'm getting very, very antsy to move on. I have a Bachelor's Degree and will have to find a job and a place to live. I own a third of our family home which I am trying to sell out to my sister. After she buys me out I am leaving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 06:15 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putty View Post
I am just wondering if others would take this kind of risk, relocating alone and starting over where u don't know a soul......No job, no place to stay just yet, because I am having problems finding anyone to rent to me w/o a job. I don't want to buy yet, because that doesn't make sense to me in a new area.........

I think I just want to know I am not alone and gain confidence in my abilities that I can do this............!! Old lady or not!
Plan for the best and prepare for the worst, IMHO. The geographic cure worked for me twice, but I needed to be strategic about it because of my own persnickety tendencies.

What made it work for me is that 1) I was VERY focused about my criteria for 'move-to' places: I went from areas having higher unemployment to areas having lower unemployment. It's amazing - even a 1% difference translates into a vastly easier job search! In the first move, I lined up a job before I moved (using the tactics mentioned here on C-D: local address, local phone number). In the second move, I went in cold, but still to an area having 2% lower unemployment. Worked out better than I expected, but I was loaded for bear. In both cases, I moved away from highly-taxed, imploding New England - a place from which good jobs are fleeing to anyplace else.

In both cases, I didn't care where I moved as long as I found a decent job. It was more important to me to have a decent income than to have a scenic destination, amenities or a social life. Have always been hyper-vigilant about that third leg of the retirement stool, SS. I figured that when I hung it up would be the time to explore the scenic destinations.

In sum, it can be done, I have done it, you can do it too, but my methods and priorities were driven by a low tolerance for financial insecurity. That being said, it wasn't e-z. After this last move seven years ago, I STILL haven't made any friends in the area, and frankly don't have time for a social life anyway, lol! I know that's sad, but it was a career change as well.

How it all worked out: I've got a good income, can help the kids as needed with life start-up costs. Since I'm viewed as still being 'in the game', my kids more or less respect my advice. I always did figure that any 'words of wisdom' would be viewed as being more credible if I were still out there slogging away, in contrast to being viewed as having hung it up.

Very best wishes to you! What you are doing takes a lot of guts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement