Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

No; its been changed to suitable work from meaningful now.Much easier to get it if you have had a profession for years like her husband and I know two who were approved with clear medical history of problms and 55+.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No; its been changed to suitable work from meaningful now.Much easier to get it if you have had a profession for years like her husband and I know two who were approved with clear medical history of problms and 55+.
No, Texdav. It is not "suitable" work and was never "meaningful" work. Honestly, I don't know where people come up with this stuff. Do you recall where you heard this? Just curious.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:23 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Some states do not give Medicaid to residents who do not have minor children. (Hence, one of the reasons for the Affordable Care Act.) Even if he was denied in a state that provides Medicaid to childless claimants, it does not mean that he would be denied his claim by Social Security.

I don't know why you would assume he'd be denied SSI benefits at age 55? Other than the financial eligibility rules for SSI, the rules for SSI and SSDI disability are exactly the same.

Because I'm batting 1000 for "duhs" on this thread...mind dismissed the 'disabled' factor.
Once started down the wrong road......I'll just go to the corner now.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:35 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Because I'm batting 1000 for "duhs" on this thread...mind dismissed the 'disabled' factor.
Once started down the wrong road......I'll just go to the corner now.
LOL. It could be worse. Sometimes my mind fails to leave the station, other times it takes the wrong track. In the latter case, I usually figure it out when I end up at the wrong destination.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM

371 posts, read 537,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
The bolded section is absolutely wrong. In general, if someone can no longer perform her past relevant work, the next step in the adjudication is to determine whether there are a significant number of jobs in the national economy that she could perform. It is true that at age 60, one is more likely to be found disabled if the claimant cannot perform her past relevant work, but even that is not a sure winner.
This is contrary to what my SSA claim rep told me. Perhaps it varies state to state? Or maybe the new process implemented in Vermont and a handful of other states in 2010 is different? I was told that it didn't matter if I could get a job doing something else, what mattered was whether I could perform any other job. It's pretty confusing, I must say. In any event, my point is that where you reside and file your application has an enormous impact on the success of a claim.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:15 PM

251 posts, read 235,941 times
wow no replies since 2009 yikes!!

Old 07-09-2017, 07:16 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I've always wondered whatever happened to texdave. I believe he was a disabled Vet who had serious issues. He stopped posting a couple of years back.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:57 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Bump....until I can read pages 2 and beyond. I am in the process of being evaluated for the first time, so I am interested in everyone's comments.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp9nine9 View Post
SSD is ran by bureaucrats and the make decisions based on written guidelines.
If you apply and give them everything they ask for then you will be approved. Make follow up calls and make sure your Dr. returns there letter asap as that is important to the process.
Remember to follow their directions completely..and be sure your medical documentation is current.
This is very true. I hear all the time about it taking years, as some here have stated. Attorneys aren't necessary unless you go through more than one appeal and are still unsuccessful. For some reason most applications are denied on the first go-round, but I personally filled out my mother's original forms, and her appeal after the initial denial. I included copies of documents from her medical records stating the extent of her medical issues, a statement from her primary doctor (she had about 4 doctors), and my own narrative of her problems and the appeal was successful. For her, the whole process took about 6 months, and I believe her benefits were retroactive back to the date of the initial filing. I think the key is to answer EVERY question thoroughly, attaching extra paper if needed to answer completely. Fill out and send in every document requested asap, and make sure the doctors do too. I had the staff at her doctors' offices copy the relevant documents, etc from her files and give them to me personally to attach. Go in person to the doctors' office if you have to, otherwise requests from gov't agencies might sit in somebody's to-do box for weeks.

It takes persistence and the ability to follow the instructions to the letter. Expect to be rejected the first time and immediately respond to that rejection with the appeal and all back-up documentation. Be sure to be explicit in the reasons for inability to work, and any and all physical limitations. Stating something vague like "back pain" isn't going to cut it. You need to state the exact cause of the pain, how it affects the ability to work, and the expected duration of the disability i.e. "crushed L1, L2 and L3 vertebrae, which are inoperable and causing severe, unremitting pain making it impossible for Mr. Jones to sit or stand for more than 1 hour, and unable to walk more than 200 feet. This condition is not anticipated to improve, and requires the daily use of pain medication incompatible with operating a motor vehicle". (made up example, I really don't know anything about back injuries, but this is just an example of a COMPLETE answer.)

Good luck and best wishes.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:21 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
A friend of mine was a construction laborer who worked in trenches installing new city water/sewer lines.

He got his back injured about at age 40 by a huge pipe that swayed as it was lowered.
He told me it took him 3 years to get SS Disability and he did get back pay.
If not for his wife having a well paying UNION factory job, he would have been wiped out financially.

He said he got a real smart alec on his 2nd appeal.
He was asked if he goes to the bathroom alone when his wife was at work.
When he replied " yes", he was told ........." Any man who can wipe his own butt isn't disabled "

Yes, he did get a lawyer after being told that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement