Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times

Advertisements

I read Santa Fe and Taos being dissed above, which i do not agree with, but a pure art community thereabouts is Galisteo NM. Very small, however. There may only be 50 artists down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 07:09 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,438 times
The first place that comes to my mind is Savannah, Ga.

Savannah City Market : Art

SCAD > The University for Creative Careers

Old 10-29-2011, 11:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I guess my question is . . . do you mean . . . best place to acquire works by local/regional artists - for your own investment? Or do you mean . . . best place for artists themselves to locate in order to be part of a supportive community?

Or . . . where have artists gravitated to (artist colony, more or less) and established studios that are open to the public?

All those things mean something very different to me, as an artist. Even plein air painters may choose to visit a particular area for their subject matter, rather than live there year round. But, their works may be in galleries in that region.

So I guess I don't understand what the question is . . . sounds like OP wants to acquire and invest in art, not necessarily produce art. Or just live around artists . . . ?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:23 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I guess my question is . . . do you mean . . . best place to acquire works by local/regional artists - for your own investment? Or do you mean . . . best place for artists themselves to locate in order to be part of a supportive community?

Or . . . where have artists gravitated to (artist colony, more or less) and established studios that are open to the public?

All those things mean something very different to me, as an artist. Even plein air painters may choose to visit a particular area for their subject matter, rather than live there year round. But, their works may be in galleries in that region.

So I guess I don't understand what the question is . . . sounds like OP wants to acquire and invest in art, not necessarily produce art. Or just live around artists . . . ?
A lot of people/retirees want to live in an artsy area even though they're not artists themselves and not likely to be. It's kind of a classy affiliation that people like to have. And, artsy places are also pricey places, after they've gotten discovered. NewYorkers "discovered" the sleepy artist town of Northampton (home of Smith College) in the early 80s, drove up the cost of real estate by bringing in and adding to the native wealth, and in large part driving out many lower-income artists from their inexpensive downtown studios. Now those upper floors of downtown above pricey specialty shops and galleries are high-end apartments and office suites, and the occasional studio for the wealthier artists. People come from all over the area to visit "artsy" Northampton, not realizing that the original artists that made is so great can no longer afford to work their art there. Same with Provincetown, etc.

The best place for working artists are places that have not been discovered and are not likely to be. But anywhere there is a concentration of artists is likely already discovered.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
If you could afford it and you loved snow, Park City Utah is another one! And Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Both are very expensive.

Beautiful places but too much snow for me!

Last edited by yellowsnow; 10-29-2011 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: added

Old 10-30-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A lot of people/retirees want to live in an artsy area even though they're not artists themselves and not likely to be. It's kind of a classy affiliation that people like to have. And, artsy places are also pricey places, after they've gotten discovered. NewYorkers "discovered" the sleepy artist town of Northampton (home of Smith College) in the early 80s, drove up the cost of real estate by bringing in and adding to the native wealth, and in large part driving out many lower-income artists from their inexpensive downtown studios. Now those upper floors of downtown above pricey specialty shops and galleries are high-end apartments and office suites, and the occasional studio for the wealthier artists. People come from all over the area to visit "artsy" Northampton, not realizing that the original artists that made is so great can no longer afford to work their art there. Same with Provincetown, etc.

The best place for working artists are places that have not been discovered and are not likely to be. But anywhere there is a concentration of artists is likely already discovered.
Your explanation makes total sense to me. It is a double-edged sword . . . for the artist.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:00 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beecee View Post
Glad I found this site! We're pondering our next move, and would like to find an art town that also has a nice climate....not too hot or too humid. It also has to be affordable for semi-retired folks, so I'm afraid Santa Fe is out. Unfortunately....LOL. We are gardeners, husband is a woodworker/guitarmaker and I'm an artist/writer.

We're in central TX right now, and although places like Kerrville are nice, the climate is getting way too hot for me.

bobbi c.
Earthly Gardener
They say Floyd, VA is quite artsy and although I'm not interested in such, I'm surely interested in Floyd County. I, too, find living in the Texas summers more than I want anymore and am looking forward to my great escape.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:35 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
I live in a town that was once considered artsy, however, with the real estate boom coupled with the tourist industry, real estate prices soared to the extent that starving artists, and even service people could no longer afford to live in this environment.

The town did do some redevelopment and converted some commercial buildings to mixed-use environments particularly for artists to be able to continue to stay in the town. But overall, what once was an art town is now not so much because of expensive real estate.

I wrote all of that to say that I believe communities, no matter what the real estate market is doing, should set aside real estate for artists.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I live in a town that was once considered artsy, however, with the real estate boom coupled with the tourist industry, real estate prices soared to the extent that starving artists, and even service people could no longer afford to live in this environment.

The town did do some redevelopment and converted some commercial buildings to mixed-use environments particularly for artists to be able to continue to stay in the town. But overall, what once was an art town is now not so much because of expensive real estate.

I wrote all of that to say that I believe communities, no matter what the real estate market is doing, should set aside real estate for artists.
The problem with that is . . . who gets to determine who is a bonafide artist? Looks like a potential lawsuit for any city that would attempt to set up qualifications that allow only a preferred group access to governmentally subsidized property (and if subsidized is not the right word . . . "rent controlled," "price fixed" etc).

Old 10-30-2011, 06:15 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The problem with that is . . . who gets to determine who is a bonafide artist? Looks like a potential lawsuit for any city that would attempt to set up qualifications that allow only a preferred group access to governmentally subsidized property (and if subsidized is not the right word . . . "rent controlled," "price fixed" etc).
Well, it is being done. I don't know what the criteria is but there is criteria and people are meeting it.

I find this "fear of lawsuit" in terms of every aspect of life very disturbing. It's what drives everything.

Liability insurance rules Western culture, to its detriment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement