Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:21 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,732,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Thanks - that's a good idea. I'm worried the insurance companies won't cover his (pre)existing conditions but it might be worth looking into.
If senate passes the HCR. Pre-existing condition will be eliminated!

We finally have a president that wants to do something for the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I was hoping to continue that as well, tho it may no longer be an option if Obamacare passes. He wants to axe such cost effective avenues, need to spread the wealth, spread the pain. High deductible HSA won't work under his 'minimally insured' directive.
I was jumping up and down in joy when the House passed the Reform. Lets hope Senate does the same thing and that means 96% of Americans will get affordable health care.

How is he spreading the wealth? There is no pain!

COBRA is expensive if you leave your employer and buying health insurance for yourself cost arm and a leg.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'm afraid you need to consider living 'off-shore' for the years until medicare is available. I would itemize the health needs and go shopping . Malaysia, Thailand, US protectorates, Philippines... You might find a spot that is a whole lot healthier than USA & learning a few new languages and new cultural ideas would be good too.. I really miss the fresh fruit markets of Asia. We could eat out daily for under $5 for the family, and that was in an English speaking British colony (now free nation and doing well, exchange rate is hammering the USD). The 80F temps everyday got a little boring. But horrendous lightning storms for entertainment! For what we pay in USA for premiums you can buy some pretty good care overseas. Pre-existing conditions is a killer for current care and LTC in the USA.
If Senate passes the HCR. Pre-existing condition is gone!
Obamacare!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I understand.

Health coverage today is a nightmare.

Up until the 50's there was not this wide array of new drugs, and $1million test equipment that docs could use. You could go to a doctor and reasonably figure that after he treated you, you could pay with the cash in your pocket.

But today the tests are expensive, and it is not uncommon to see a month's prescription drug bill at more than a person's gross pay.

In my case, my employer covers me.

After 20 years in the military, uh 18 combat tours, it is assumed that each retiree has a laundry list of medical problems. Which is why we do not even mess with 'disabilities' or the VA. The military simply gives us a pension and provides health coverage. I can walk onto any US military base and usually be treated [Active Duty are treated first, retirees are a lower priority].

Since I do not live near a base, they automatically cover me with a policy [Tricare].

I have a duodenal ulcer, I have absorbed massive levels of hard radiation, I had a spine injury which acts up from time to time, multiple concussions and a list of minor junk. Most of it is like time-bombs just waiting for the long-term effects to kick-in.

The average 'vet' who served for a tour and got out, has to mess with the VA. Commonly the VA will only treat the complications from documented injuries received while they were on Active Duty. It is good that the VA exists, but the scope of what they will treat is very limited.
Coverage through private sector insurance is still very expensive.

Health Care Reform is the best solution right now!

OBAMA CARE!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Now, leave the 90 cent a gallon milk to us poor people. The patricians, with means like yourself, need to drink the milk that reflects your social status and station in life--that organic, natural, milk from free ranged cows that are raised on Kentucky clover and massaged and hand milked by virginal milk maids. It should cost about $7.50 a pint.

Livecontent
I drink Soy Milk.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
The main reason farmers in my area have a spouse working an off farm job is-----health insurance

Unless you are wealthy , paying for health insurance before age 65 is a huge obstacle.
It will not be an obstacle if Senate passes the Health Care Reform!

Obama 08 and 12!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
To the woman who doesn't want to wait seven years until husband can get Medicare, Medicare won't cover her. Did I miss something about her having health insurance without a job?
If Senate passes the HCR, you can buy it for affordable price.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,611 posts, read 57,597,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I was jumping up and down in joy when the House passed the Reform. Lets hope Senate does the same thing and that means 96% of Americans will get affordable health care.
Your TX must be from a different planet than the one I know of. (Earth), I'm hoping and praying that someone in the Senate has more sense than the Jr. legislator's in the House.

Quote:
How is he spreading the wealth? There is no pain!
My meager Healthcare $ will no longer be used for most competitive care, It will now be split between minimal care and a HUGE gov bureaucracy that is far from efficient and will only rob $ from quality of care.
Pain will turn to death as many cases will be put off priority, "take-a-number". I know too many Canadians who have come to the USA and PAID to get care that they were denied in Canada. These are the ones that survived. Pain also comes for those of us who prefer to pay a few hundred $ (rather than few thousand) in premiums because we can set aside $$$ for high deductibles. Now they will 'dumb-it-down' like public schools, everyone loses EXCEPT those who were falling through the cracks due to no incentive to succeed. At least we will all be on an even level, (the gutter...)

Quote:
COBRA is expensive ....
BTDT 5 yrs ago when I got laid off, thus I have a feeling I'll be in the 4% W/o coverage, since once you are expired from the roles of unemployment you don't count for anything. (no stimulus $, no elderly $, no extension of benefits, no COBRA, no nothing) (except a potential fine for not carrying mandatory 'Obamacare'). I'm sure the fine will be cheaper than the premium, and if I don't have the $ for paying for inefficient Gov regulation (Obamacare premiums), I certainly don't have the $$$ for the fine. I'll take my chances, and if I want care I will get a ticket to Thailand. ($400)

Affordable healthcare is highly desired by me, but I assure you the plan is neither healthcare, or affordable. It's a joke, that's why they plan to hold the election hostage by not offering it till AFTER we get to our knees and vote them in again, WRONG... Party over, no solutions brought, just 20+% growth in national debt, and stimulus spent on 'non-job-producing' fluff, sorry, Party over... time to pay the Piper of Obamaville March on you munchkins.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:50 AM

105,919 posts, read 107,880,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
I drink Soy Milk.
there is no such thing as soy milk , its soy juice, there is no such thing as soy (*) (*)

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 AM

30,864 posts, read 36,786,213 times
Default If everyone paid cash, health care costs would plummet

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Health coverage today is a nightmare.

Up until the 50's there was not this wide array of new drugs, and $1million test equipment that docs could use. You could go to a doctor and reasonably figure that after he treated you, you could pay with the cash in your pocket.

But today the tests are expensive, and it is not uncommon to see a month's prescription drug bill at more than a person's gross pay.
That's because, up until the '50s people paid cash for their health care for the most part. No insurance companies. Minimal government involvement. No middlemen to jack up the price. Prices were transparent. If people didn't like their doc, they could go somewhere else. No need to wait for the "open enrollment" period at work.

Gee, health care was a lot cheaper as a % of what people earned back then, too. Hmmmm, I think there's a correlation there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement