Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times

Advertisements

When I think of green--I often think of Kentucky. Have you checked out the Louieville area or Kentucky in general. It seems a great place for horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post
My husband and I are also looking for a retirment destination, with your basic requirements....but we're looking for a small property (10 acres or so ) to accomodate our 3 horses. We like GREEN ( no high desert ) preferably with mountain views, in the neighborhood of $450K.
HELP...my husband is getting desperate to retire from our Midwest home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Looks more and more like I will be retiring here in Georgia.
My wife loves it here and overall I can tolerate it. I'm just not a big fan of the heat.

Overall the reason.
Being close to Atlanta provides good health care and everything at your fingertips.
If your retired you don't have to worry about the gridlock because you simply can.
Taxes are low and if your over 70 you can live property tax free in regard to school tax and only pay for your local services, police and fire.
Over 65 your income tax free for the most part.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:11 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I think that somewhere in New Mexico would fit the bill. Not too hot, not too cold, low humidity, and not overly expensive. Maybe a place like Albuquerque? It has good weather and great scenery. I don't know how many fellow Jewish folks you would find in New Mexico but I think it fits all of your other criteria. I wish you the very best of luck and congratulations on your retirement.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
If a Jewish community is among the more important issues, Albuquerque might do it. I know they have a small but tight community. Few other NM towns/cities do. In Taos, there is the beginning of a Jewish Community, but is more about "community" than about being Jewish. The Taos Jewish Community center has received several grants to do some active research on the aged, health and other issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think that somewhere in New Mexico would fit the bill. Not too hot, not too cold, low humidity, and not overly expensive. Maybe a place like Albuquerque? It has good weather and great scenery. I don't know how many fellow Jewish folks you would find in New Mexico but I think it fits all of your other criteria. I wish you the very best of luck and congratulations on your retirement.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:43 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
You might want to check out Charlottsville Va, I think it would fit your requirements but I am unsure about the humidity levels. Plus if you still have family in NY it's close enough to visit and far enough away that they won't show up unannounced...

Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,935 times
Albuquerque is at the top of our list along with Reno/Sparks, NV and Grants Pass, OR.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:12 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Reno is nice. I lived there for a few years and loved the area. You can hardly beat it for low humidity. The Winters can get colder than in Albuquerque but you're literally minutes from Lake Tahoe and a few hour drive to the Bay area.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:42 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,854,845 times
Default Good choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Albuquerque is at the top of our list along with Reno/Sparks, NV and Grants Pass, OR.
Hey I like your list norm. I am looking at places in the west as well. I have been to all of those places in the past but it's a long time since I was in Reno. The last trip we took through Nevada we missed it going south through the state.
There's some great scenery in all of those.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:08 PM

124 posts, read 666,274 times
Default I'm baaaaccckkk.....from Reno

Will post a trip report under a separate heading, hopefully tomorrow. Still tired from the trip. Had a wonderful time...loved it. Begged my husband to leave me there and let me send for my stuff. He didn't go for it.

Mimi

Old 05-30-2007, 05:08 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times
Norm, after reading all the posts, I think Reno, Sparks and Albuquerque deserve consideration for what you're looking for. I live in Albuquerque. It's not only culturally diverse, it's also climatologically diverse. I live right up against the Sandia Mountains between 6100 and 6200 feet above sea level. Max temperatures in the summer average upper 80s here and low to mid 90s in the Valley near the Rio Grande. I get 25-30 inches of snow per year at my house but the areas near the Rio Grande average 8-12 inches. In both cases, the snow disappears quickly. I almost never see a mosquito at my house, but the Valley does get some, especially along the river. The crime rate is high in Albuquerque, but you can avoid the worst areas. Overall...this is a pretty good place. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement