Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:59 AM

56 posts, read 211,778 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am doing some research for a new book about baby boomer retirement lifestyles. I am looking to find what people are doing that is really interesting and groundbreaking in retirement. Like professional volunteers, hobbyists, new careerists, moving to new location and starting over, family person, etc. If you are doing something you think is pretty cool in retirement, or you know someone who has reinvented him or herself after getting the gold watch, post it here or contact me directly. I will let you know how it is going, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 06:17 AM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
my family crest will be changed to a beer can and a hamock when i retire...

is that new and novel?

actually being very into photography ,my wife and i will attempt to do real estate photography as a little hobby/business..

we intend to be based from april to november at our eventul home in the pocono mountains of pa and then for the winters we intend to rent a furnished place somewhere different and warm every year trying different parts of the country

Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Don't know if this is either interesting or groundbreaking but we recently moved over 2,000 miles from where we lived and most of our family still does trading an urban lifestyle we'd grown weary of, but was necessary for our profession, for a somewhat isolated and very peaceful lifestyle on a beautiful lake.

I've lived all over the country and there is much I would like to revisit and still much I've yet to see. My wife has lived in a few other states and I'm looking forward to showing her the rest of them and having that shared experience. Photography as a hobby then almost becomes an imperative. Meanwhile, we enjoy the peace, quiet, tranquility and beauty of the nature that abounds and surrounds us.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:34 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somwhathip View Post
Hello, I am doing some research for a new book about baby boomer retirement lifestyles. I am looking to find what people are doing that is really interesting and groundbreaking in retirement. Like professional volunteers, hobbyists, new careerists, moving to new location and starting over, family person, etc. If you are doing something you think is pretty cool in retirement, or you know someone who has reinvented him or herself after getting the gold watch, post it here or contact me directly. I will let you know how it is going, thanks!
The most happy person I know retired at 70, sold or gave away every thing he owned, save a new pickup and some camping gear and just tools around the US and Canada going to cultural events, fishing etc.
He has about 6k a month in income and charges things, pays the bill on wi-fi and gets cash from ATM.

He says, you don't own things, they own you.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Basically I thnikt aht you need to look that this generation who has been more mobile in their careers in living in so many places has decide more than any to move once they are retired to another location.its also teh first of a generation that is retirng with two indepoendent funding sources in high per centages.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:56 AM

357 posts, read 1,018,849 times
this may sound irresponsible more than planed retirement. I am ok with it but can not say wife would agree with it. In the past 4 years after my retirement, spend a lot time and money travel to find a place to retire. find a place signed the paper ready to buy wait for her signature, she flew in and said it too remote and too dry, next one is to wet and so on. finally she gave in we bought the land and build the house, i am happy with it start my garden raise chickens but she has not move in yet. we find another place farther north, large tract of land closer to town, wife like it better, i am happy with that, we build the house, but it is way to cold me, and cost of utility is way too high. after spent 2/3 of our retirement money, 2 houses we still not agree where we both should live.i am getting nervous what we have left would not be enough to live on to the life expectancy age.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:17 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
The Baby Boom is only 64 now.
My retired lifestyle must be boring since I'm here posting

Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
We just bought our retirement home in TN. Currently we live in NYC although we separately have lived in many places. We have been together for the last 12. We bought our home sight-unseen (although using internet resources, we visited the area and the house many times). We are moving from the biggest city in the country to one of the most rural places in the lower 48. We move in 22 months and already have our plans for a garden, solar energy and a quiet life.

I hope to continue to entertain friends (new) and neighbors as we have always done, just on a more relaxed basis. And I am already looking into classes and courses - from learning sign language to organic gardening and canning/preserving. This is a time for relaxation and enjoyment.

I'm charging into retirement full steam ahead! YIPPEEE! New people, new places, new environment.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
Nothing particularly exciting here. After closing my business I took care of my mother till she died and the rest of the elders. I'm the depository for family history and photos.

I've been both rich and poor and am the later right now. Previously traveled all over the US and many talents. I have everything I need and all nice stuff but residence is tenuous. Need to stay flexible and will likely have to continue to pare down again if I need to relocate further. Staying with a friend now and bought a cheap trailer in rural Fla to get out of the snow that we share. Swim every day there and free music and festivals. Cooking, talking to all kinds of people, reading and research round out my time.

I got a degree in music after I retired, took ballroom dancing, sailing, golf, polo watching, camping, and bought a portable bbq grill for waterside picnics. Fortunately I live within a day's drive of most of the major American and Canadian cities. These days I'm taking the bus when traveling alone and almost always am the only white person but do make friends easily. I'd like to do more traveling in New England and have already visited some family historical sites there. Anything more extensive is probably out of the question, glad I did it earlier.

I've thought about getting a further degree and even running for political office but am on the fence because of obvious drawbacks.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:30 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
After a 32+ year career in technology, I'm now a radio actress. Is that unusual? It sure is to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement