Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yah, I think women with a long braid and peasant skirt and nifty Indian jewelry look very cool...

You know what doesn't look to cool? to me? Guys of a certain age cultivating a skinny, scrawny little sad pony tail--especially when their hair is thinning on top. Let it go fellows, please?

And whatever you do, no come-overs...that's absolutely the worst. Just shave your head and be done with it...personally I think shaved domes are sexy--if the head is nicely shaped.

Ladies? Do you like shaved domes, too? Especially when compared to a comb-over??

What's a great look for older women? I'm trying to develop one of my own..I've just about stopped wearing lipstick--it somehow looks too harsh on my older face and lips...just using some lip gloss or pomade...looks softer. I want to be a natural women in my dotage...

Any suggestions on older women icons to emulate??
Dotage...I like that - nice word!

Dolphin, female icons from the visual perspective - joan baez looks great/short hair seems to be the way to go - actually, jamie lee curtis looks fantastic with short silver do - of course i say that as i've let my hair grow out some - but when it goes gray, i'm back to the virtual crew cut again! just doing my last fling with hair.

attitude wise, i so enjoy movies with shirley mclaine, olivia whatever her name is - the steel magnolia crew etc - women honestly seem to come into their own.......fuller and fuller........after fifty. gotta love it! it's our turn now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
The most distinctive feature of "baby boomers" seems to be their extreme consciousness of themselves as a generation. No other generation of Americans has ever been as...well, self-important as the baby boomers are. To everyone else, whatever generation a person's part of is just whenever they happened to be born. It doesn't make them any better or worse than anyone else, and it isn't anything special.
but that's because they're not boomers.....why would they have an extreme consciousness of themselves.....

our parents told us we were special so it must be true

Old 05-27-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight. Why?

Because we were always outside, playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times,we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms. We had friends and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

our generation has produced some of the best risk-takers problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. If you are one of them: Congratulations!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?
I like this ! But do you think maybe it explains what's wrong with us??????

Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Getting back on topic, the best thing about being a Baby Boomer was being able to wear my hair long, straight and parted in the middle. For an entire decade, I could be trendy without any effort at all, and I never had a bad hair day.

I wish I could grow my hair out again, but on a 61-year-old with gray hair, that style would look not only dated but ridiculous!
have to send you a pic of my code pink sister (formerly of san fran) with her long gray hair, parted in the middle ...............she pulls it off at 60....figure she'll be still doing it at 80.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:05 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
1. In the late 60s/early 70s, I was a card carrying Young Republican and now I'm an old conservative.
2. I still like the music from the late 50s/early 60s best and listen to it now, even if my generation's music was later.
3. I didn't have to wear a helmet to ride a bike, wear knee pads to roller skate, sit in a special car seat, nobody drove me to school, everybody I knew ate peanuts and I made my own friends. Nobody arranged play dates.
4. There were 13 numbers on the TV channel dial and I didn't think I was missing anything nor did I think the invention of the remote control should have come before the self-cleaning home toilet invention I'm still waiting for.
5. I had trophies and awards I earned for being better than the other kids at some things...and I liked it.
6. I remember I had a summer job (the summer between high school and college) when Woodstock was going on. I never inhaled anything.
7. I had a love for reading and still do.
8. I remember "setting my hair" with tomato paste cans and juice cans so it had body but wasn't curly and I still laugh at old bald headed guys with pony tails and earrings...only now they're peers.
9. I remember no self respecting young guy would be caught dead driving a car the size of today's SUVs. Those vehicles were for nuns, old people and the drivers who picked up "handicapped kids" for school.
10. I remember "going to church" at the drive in movie theater, devouring Superman comic books, and watching the first ever Jeopardy show with my grandma, who was obsessed with Lawrence Welk's TV show and was a big Haystacks Calhoun wrestling fan.

One more: My public school chorus teacher had us perform Negro spirituals and other religious songs and nobody batted an eyelash. I can still sing them today.

Last edited by LauraC; 05-27-2010 at 09:22 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 08:02 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yah, I think women with a long braid and peasant skirt and nifty Indian jewelry look very cool...

You know what doesn't look to cool? to me? Guys of a certain age cultivating a skinny, scrawny little sad pony tail--especially when their hair is thinning on top. Let it go fellows, please?

And whatever you do, no come-overs...that's absolutely the worst. Just shave your head and be done with it...personally I think shaved domes are sexy--if the head is nicely shaped.

Ladies? Do you like shaved domes, too? Especially when compared to a comb-over??

What's a great look for older women? I'm trying to develop one of my own..I've just about stopped wearing lipstick--it somehow looks too harsh on my older face and lips...just using some lip gloss or pomade...looks softer. I want to be a natural women in my dotage...

Any suggestions on older women icons to emulate??
I'm 58 and I gave up makeup long ago and occasionally wear lipstick. I'm not quite ready to go gray though so do get my hair highlighted. I noticed a lady recently who looked to be in her late 60's and had a straight bob with gray hair. Looked very nice. So I'll be ready eventually.

I don't mind bald men. The worst hair I've ever seen on a man is that horrific comb-over of Donald Trump.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciajeanne View Post
Dotage...I like that - nice word!

Dolphin, female icons from the visual perspective - joan baez looks great/short hair seems to be the way to go - actually, jamie lee curtis looks fantastic with short silver do - of course i say that as i've let my hair grow out some - but when it goes gray, i'm back to the virtual crew cut again! just doing my last fling with hair.

attitude wise, i so enjoy movies with shirley mclaine, olivia whatever her name is - the steel magnolia crew etc - women honestly seem to come into their own.......fuller and fuller........after fifty. gotta love it! it's our turn now!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
WE are special because we are a phenomenon.

I see a very distinct differences in older vs younger boomers, however. I'm a younger boomer who went to diverse schools whereas many of the older ones went to more homogeneous schools.

"Totally different head" as they used to say on "Square Pegs".
I guess at 58 I'm a middle boomer. No diversity in my schools. Even though I went to school in 3 states, everybody was white in all of them. Felt I missed out but I made up for it later.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
I guess at 58 I'm a middle boomer. No diversity in my schools. Even though I went to school in 3 states, everybody was white in all of them. Felt I missed out but I made up for it later.

I'm and acci-boomer. My mother was 40 and had been told she could have no more children.

Hello, it's me!

So while so many of the boomers were children of young parents after the war I was the child of older parents. It still confuses the heck out of people my age when I tell them my oldest brother is the same age as their parents. My wife is an example. Her father and my oldest brother were born in the same year.

I got a chuckle out of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
The most distinctive feature of "baby boomers" seems to be their extreme consciousness of themselves as a generation. No other generation of Americans has ever been as...well, self-important as the baby boomers are. To everyone else, whatever generation a person's part of is just whenever they happened to be born. It doesn't make them any better or worse than anyone else, and it isn't anything special.
Personally I don't see the problem. We are the most important generation. The later generations had to settle for spoiled, clueless, and self-centered.

We win.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Boy, that brings back memories. I remember using a slide rule and I remember buying the first TI calculator for $129. Now you can get a calculator with the same functionality for free or under $5. I had a teacher do the same challenge. At least no one in our class was stupid enough to take him up on it.
Saw the same thing in high school. Slide Rules rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement