Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 63,994 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Well I am about 5 years out till retirement but since I am anal about planning ahead I am already planning where to live

Right now we live in Northern CA and plan to leave this state due to high cost of living, high taxes, etc. etc.

Nevada and Utah are the two states we are most interested in especially Minden, NV or ST. George Utah. For both places due to the weather we would probably leave for a few months at every year. St. George in the summer, and Minden in the winter. But then what?

We could either have a fifth wheel and live in that about 3 months a year, rent some place for 2-3 months (like an apartment, condo etc.) or buy a small inexpensive home in the second place to stay at during those months.

Would fifth wheel get too crowded for 2 people and a dog? Is renting a good idea,especially if you have a dog? What do you do with the second home while you are at your first home as far as security goes?

Anyone done any of these things with some tips I would greatly appreciate it?

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:37 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
We were in the same dilema and decided against owning two homes. Rather than deal with maintenance, security, etc., we chose an RV. Main reason was we weren't tied down to a specific place, other than our main home. We bought used and have enjoyed getting up and going whenever the urge hits. We went to a warmer area for a month in the winter and both felt a month was about our limit living in the RV. We also have a golden retriever.

Your outdoor living space is important, so you are not confined to the inside. We did own two homes for six months and it was a hassle. I personally wouldn't do it again.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Pets and renting? Unless you find a place that takes pets and you can rent year after year, it sounds like a non-starter. I wouldn't want the hassle of having hunt for a pet-friendly rental every year.

Last edited by kevxu; 06-05-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-05-2010, 11:49 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
If you want to leave NorCal due to the high cost, I don't think maintaining multiple living spaces (apartment/RV/small home) is going to be very appealing to you after a year or so.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:30 PM

72 posts, read 113,175 times
We have the same dilemma only we don't have a pet but we are not sure where we want to go. We figure anywhere but Hawaii we would want to spend some months elsewhere because of the weather. We are thinking about an RV for those times but don't want to spend a lot of money and decide we don't like it.

How do people leave their primary homes while they are away? We don't have any kids that could check on it and mow the grass, etc. Our neighbors/friends are really too busy.

How do you decide where you want to live? We were going to retire in 5 years but were "downsized" so 5 years is NOW!!! I'm not complaining but we really weren't ready for it.

We thought we would rent somewhere first and keep our home here until we decide but it's not a home you can just leave, plus how do you pay your bills when you aren't home?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-05-2010, 02:08 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Dumb question

What is a fifth wheel?

Also, where we live, there are a lot of people who leave during the summer. There are companies that can check on your home, neighbors can also help.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
As for paying bills, that is pretty easy now. Almost every one has internet access to your bills & just about every bank has internet bill pay function & you can move your money around easily too.

The season I would most like to escape my main house is summer and that is the growing and mowing season. I could pay for a service but that adds up to some serious coin.

I think most people who live in 2 places have a condo in the winter place where they don't have to do the maintenance. They spend the summer in the place with a yard.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporate Orphan View Post
We have the same dilemma ... We are thinking about an RV for those times but don't want to spend a lot of money and decide we don't like it.
Rent / borrow if possible (find an older retired couple that are using theirs less and would like some income to cover fees).

Used RV's can be had very cheap, I met a young retired couple who sold their home and bought a $5000 class C and had traveled the national parks (volunteering) for 5 yrs without having a reason to find a home yet.

Quote:
How do you decide where you want to live? ... "downsized" so 5 years is NOW!!! I'm not complaining but we really weren't ready for it.
That's me 5 yrs ago... pre age 50
I'm still not ready for it but trying to make the best of the lemonade.
Welcome to the forum, there is a lot of good info and suggestions here.

Plenty of great reads on the subject. I like 'retirement on a Shoestring
' - both in this forum and book by same name. Most 'published' retirement spots are not too affordable or practical. (seem to be 'golf' and 'rich' / Urban focused)
Some folks can offer a spreadsheet / list with scoring of sorts to help you determine your new 'home'. Basically it is individual taste; many have picked up and moved successfully, others have tried and returned, some are still hopping.

You can narrow areas pretty quickly by listing criteria. (geographic region, rural vs. urban, Medical care, cost of living, Climate, College town, Airport, proximity to family are some of the prime criteria)

Quote:
How do people leave their primary homes while they are away? ...not a home you can just leave, plus how do you pay your bills when you aren't home?
You need to determine the best time and way to leave home. You can do auto billing on most things. You may need to expand social network to find a house sitter or caretaker. (I.e. church, club, or group) Or find a way to 'swap' homes, maybe into a 'swap bank' or to a place you can use as a travel hub. Internet has good home swapping options, as well as joining a travel club for cheap stays.($10) I very much have a similar home issue. Too nice / fragile to leave unattended. (custom woodwork / stone fireplaces / animals / yard work in summer, freezing and snow / ice protection in winter. Highly subject to rural meth theft) My folks and I both have left our homes for awhile in the hands of competent folks, and come home to ugly surprises. Interior smoke damage due to lack of knowledge / attention using wood burners, flooded basement due to leaving water running near edge of house, broken miscellaneous major stuff. (water treatment systems, whole house Vac, appliances)

Let us know more about your 'abode' desires, and you will get lots of info.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:01 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
What is a fifth wheel?

A trailer that is towed connected to the bed of a pick up (with a "fifth wheel coupling"), instead of a trailer hitch connected to the back bumper area.

Most of them are *huge*

Old 06-05-2010, 07:13 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
I know exactly what a fifth wheel is. Don't particularly want to have to drive a big pickup around during time I'm in my second home~ nor try to maintain two vehicles. have a park model mobile home in an RV park in Az.

Security is good in our park, and management knows and keeps tabs on the park models in our park during off season~ few prefer to summer when temps in the 120 degree range~ so found a 55+ park looking at pikes peak to spend my summer months~ and management here also is aware vof when I'm gone..

Post office is really good about sending mail to where you are if you notify them of change of address~ take my satelite recievers with me~ transfer my HS internet. My neighbor watches my house like a hawk~ on each end~ teach bridge here in summer and there in winter!

Abosulutely love my orange tree that I harvest in short sleeves starting about Christmas~love the festivals I take in in Az~ but am ready to get back to CS in summer where the weather is good in the summer

PS haven't scooped snow in years. Summerising PM in Az not a big problem, done it for years~ winterizing here~ just leave the heater set at about 57~ has worked for years~ wouldn't know how to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement