Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:13 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times

Advertisements

I know these things are about what each of us perceives it to be. But anyway, at what age do you think these three stages in life begin:

Adult
Middle age
Elderly/Senior

Is age a good way to define these periods in our lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 06:27 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,936 times
I have friends that are 65+ yo and have the emotional IQ of 17 yo's, so, are they teenagers or seniors? A little of
both, wrinkly on the outside and childish on the inside.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,549 times
My thoughts on this...

Adult - the law defines this one for us and so I don't think we're going to get too many differences here. Here in the U.S., 18 is the age in most states where we cross over into adulthood. If you want to see the few states that differ on this check it out here:

Age of majority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Middle age - people are taking better care of themselves nowadays and living longer. Ten years ago I would have said 50 or 55. Now I say it starts at 60.

Elderly - I'm pushing the scale forward on this one too. I say it starts at 75.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:36 AM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Is age a good way to define these periods in our lives?
The number itself? Absolutely not.

Quote:
But anyway, at what age do you think these three stages in life begin:

Adult: working, doing for yourself, paying your own way
Middle age: working even more, doing for yourself and others, paying everyone's way
Elderly/Senior: not working, doing less and less for yourself, the paying for it all varies

Old 10-22-2012, 06:37 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
According to the UK I'm an OAP (old age pensioner/senior) and I'm 60. But I still feel middle-aged, more like 40 or 45.

Adult: it's supposed to be about 18 but most 18 year olds are still kids - maybe 25.

Middle age: it's supposed to be the middle of our lives +/- So basing that on so many of us living to 90 I guess I'd give a broad range of 40 - 60.

Senior: 60-75

Elderly: 75 +

Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,095,161 times
Adult - Legal definitions aside, IMO it's generally when you have finished the school portion of your life and have started supporting yourself. Or, after you have had a baby and are supporting your child. There are exceptions to this, of course, but I've known 16 and 17-year-olds who have become adults after having a baby, even though they are young. And I know 24-year-olds who are still in school and partying all the time and don't seem at all grown up to me, no matter what the law says.

Middle age - When your kids become old enough to have their own children. Or, when friends who are your age have children who are that old. In some parts of the country, it would be when your kids are old enough to drive. In my neck of the woods, middle age starts in your 40s. Sure, you're vibrant and healthy and more active than when you were 20--but if you're a grandparent you're old enough to be middle aged.

Senior - I added another stage, because it seems to me active retirees are dramatically different from both the "middle aged" and the "elderly." You hit your senior years when you feel, in your body, that you're too old to work full time any more. It's partially biological, partially psychological, and often over ridden so the age this occurs differs depending on your circumstances. I'd say most people hit this stage in their 60s, but some earlier and some later.

Elderly - To me this is the big slow down that starts in the mid 70s for some, mid 80s for others.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I have friends that are 65+ yo and have the emotional IQ of 17 yo's, so, are they teenagers or seniors? A little of
both, wrinkly on the outside and childish on the inside.
LOL I know plenty of people like this. It's funny how in your senior years some people become quite childish.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,548,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Adult - Legal definitions aside, IMO it's generally when you have finished the school portion of your life and have started supporting yourself. Or, after you have had a baby and are supporting your child. There are exceptions to this, of course, but I've known 16 and 17-year-olds who have become adults after having a baby, even though they are young. And I know 24-year-olds who are still in school and partying all the time and don't seem at all grown up to me, no matter what the law says.

Middle age - When your kids become old enough to have their own children. Or, when friends who are your age have children who are that old. In some parts of the country, it would be when your kids are old enough to drive. In my neck of the woods, middle age starts in your 40s. Sure, you're vibrant and healthy and more active than when you were 20--but if you're a grandparent you're old enough to be middle aged.

Senior - I added another stage, because it seems to me active retirees are dramatically different from both the "middle aged" and the "elderly." You hit your senior years when you feel, in your body, that you're too old to work full time any more. It's partially biological, partially psychological, and often over ridden so the age this occurs differs depending on your circumstances. I'd say most people hit this stage in their 60s, but some earlier and some later.

Elderly - To me this is the big slow down that starts in the mid 70s for some, mid 80s for others.
Have to disagree with your definition of senior. I certainly don't feel too old to work full-time. I retired at 55 because I could. I'm very fit and healthy (okay the memory sucks), as fit as many in their 30's because I work at it and will continue to do so barring any illnesses/injuries, etc. There are 80 year olds in my gym.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Have to disagree with your definition of senior. I certainly don't feel too old to work full-time. I retired at 55 because I could. I'm very fit and healthy (okay the memory sucks), as fit as many in their 30's because I work at it and will continue to do so barring any illnesses/injuries, etc. There are 80 year olds in my gym.
I totally agree about being fit. I think maybe you're reading more than I meant into "feeling too old to work full time." (My fault, by the way, I'm not a good writer.)

I can feel changes in my body that tell me it's time to stop working full time--but I'm lucky that I can stop at the early points of seeing those changes, so I have the luxury of listening to them. It doesn't mean I couldn't continue if I wanted/needed to. It's not like I've become disabled or seen major changes, it's more like I'm noticing small changes. For example, right now I still walk to work, but I'm starting to find excuses to drive. I still like to go hiking, and kayak 2-3 times a week (I'm really into kayaking, LOL) but walking to work is starting to wear me out. One of the things I have to do is walk across a parkway, and I find I don't cross it quite as briskly and energetically as I used to. It's starting to bother me to sit for 8 hour days. My mind won't focus for hours at a time like it used to. My eyes get tired if I try to do the same thing for hours. I've become more sensitive to weather--I feel oncoming rain in my joints, and I'm much more aware of and bothered than I used to be by hot/cold temperatures.

It's not that I'm in bad physical shape, in fact my doctor says I'm in really good shape... but he also says I'm getting older. I definitely feel my body is telling me it's time to move on to the next stage. I could keep going, but I'm glad that my retirement date has been set. My body's ready.

Last edited by Caladium; 10-22-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,371,397 times
I don't like labels. To a child, I'm sure I'm elderly. To someone in their 70s or 80s, I'm sure I'm a kid. We all have aches and pains, elderly (to me) is when we start paying too much attention to them and not enough attention to what's going on around us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement