Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 12:14 AM

77 posts, read 213,479 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to spend the cold winter months, and have narrowed it down to either Palm Springs, CA or the Naples, FL area. Can you give me your opinions and input on living in either place for a retired person. I'm mainly interested in things to do, weather, crime, property values, taxes, quality of life, what the people are like, politics, etc.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
our plan for retirement is to try different areas of the country every year during the winter while being based out of lake wallenpauck in the pocono mountains of pa.during the nicer months. we will take a furnished apartment and see how we like it.

eventually if we hit an area we really like we would buy something and possibly even sell the pa place.

our first ideas are charlston, savanhah , outskirts of myrtle beach, north mesa in arizona where my sister is.....

its tough trying to decide without actually living there a bit.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:57 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I'd check the income tax situation in both places. California is in a dire situation, so they may be going after part-time residents if they don't already do so.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:14 AM

51 posts, read 202,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I'd check the income tax situation in both places. California is in a dire situation, so they may be going after part-time residents if they don't already do so.
I've heard this mentioned recently, but asked our Financial Analyst to research it and so far it's just rumors.

With respect to the original question: We are based out of the Reno NV area, (no state income tax in NV) and spend the winter in the Coachella Valley. Our house is in Indio, about 25 miles or so down I-10 from Palm Springs. We're in a Del Webb community called Shadow Hills. I don't know anything about Naples, FL, but I can tell you that there are more activities in and around this valley than any retired person could ever possibly partake in. Within our own community there are golf courses, tennis courts, a fitness center and community center. And the same is true of most other developments in this area. There are also clubs, dozens of them, everything from dancing to card playing to acting to softball to hiking, etc. There's also a local community college, the College of the Desert, which holds classes in many locations around the valley. Many seniors I know take continuing classes in whatever interest them. LA is not that far away, nor is San Diego. Mexico is fairly close as well. We're a 2.5 hour drive from Laughlin, NV and 3.5 hours from Las Vegas.

With respect to the weather, last winter I had to wear jeans exactly three days, other than that it was shorts and a golf shirt. Yesterday it was 80 degrees, today it was 78. That's above our average, it's usually in the 60s in Dec. We get less than 5 inches of rain per year, so it's mostly sunshine.

Our house near Reno has snow and ice on the ground and is freezing. I'd much rather be here!

Old 12-20-2009, 09:13 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
You need to do a pro and con list and decide what is important to you, or a 'no-way'.

Sales tax in Palm Springs is 8.75%
Sales tax in Naples?
Palm Springs - occasional wind storms with dust and sand
Naples - bugs?
Palm Springs - dry
Naples - humid
Palm Springs - desert
Naples - ocean

Old 12-20-2009, 01:07 PM

77 posts, read 213,479 times
Thanks for the input everyone. I am heading back down to Palm Springs next week for a month. I like the list idea...eg I HATE bugs, and humidity...I really love the ocean, but having a swimming pool is ALMOST as good...I have been looking at real estate prices, and there are so many incredibly good deals now in SW Florida, but not sure if I could handle Florida politics. Since I spend most of the time in Oregon, I guess it makes better sense to look into Palm Springs, but I do worry about water issues there. Thanks again...and if anyone else wants to share their 2 cents worth, I'm all ears.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 10,531 times
Default Living in Palm Desert or La Quinta

Searching for retirement place to live that is safe and conducive to our lifestyle. I love exercise programs and being social. My husband is a "car" person, garage utmost importance, likes car clubs. We don't golf at all. Like to have our 30 ft airstream nearby to maintain, etc. I would appreciate any input and suggestions.
Thanks a lot.
Shirle

Old 02-09-2010, 04:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Persoanlly I love the winters in florida and the humdity isn't really bad in winter like it is in the summer. Where just depends on what you like.Guess that is why it so loved by so many for winter homes. Love the warmer gulf water that are still prefect for anything until november most times.Also plenty to do and see within easy driving distance.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I would also look into the public transit options as you may need it some day.

Some day you may not be able to drive any longer. Then what?

Public transit options are my primary concerns at to wherever I choose to retire.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
.... but not sure if I could handle Florida politics. ....
That must be a joke

California politics and the catastrophic looniness of their propostions! Compared to that mess Florida is a political paradise....but there are bugs in Naples, big enough to hear 'em walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement