Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 PM

22 posts, read 56,523 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any active adult communities in the midwest? Most searches turn up places that sound like nursing homes. I am looking for condos ( 1 bedroom) with sports, games, social events, etc. I am looking for specific recomendations. I have seen all the lists. They don't really give much information. I am looking for the lifestyle more than state or city. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 03:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
The concept hasn't caught on much here. Farmers are an independent lot and prefer to die at home on the farm where they were born.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,149 times
I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but there is one by Dell Web, I think, in Northwestern IL. near Rockford or Pecatonica. Supposed to be nice, but that's really all I know. Hope this helps a little bit, anyway. (homes or condos, BTW)

Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Del Webb is building one north of Indianapolis but with the real estate turndown, I cannot recommend them. Prices have gone down but it will be a decade to be built out and is very high density.

Actually, this type of community is not really needed here. We are already low cost, have lots of a huge variety of condos with and without facilities, and plenty of sports facilities to choose from all over.

So there is less of a need or desire for the type of community you are asking for in the Midwest.

We plan on buying into a well run condo we have our eye on and then picking our various amenities from what the city has to offer rather than be stuck with what the community want.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 AM

22 posts, read 56,523 times
Thanks for the replies.
Sweetana3- I already did what you are planning to do. In this day and age children and teenagers caused too many problems. Too many age groups and mindsets makes it very hard to run the condos properly. Priorities are different at different ages.

artangel- I will be checking that one out. Thanks for the info.

tek_freek- I don't really understand your comment. I have lived in the midwest my entire life and don't really know anyone that has ever set foot on a farm. The majority of the midwest are the ethnic people(eastern european descent) from Pittsburgh to Chicago.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:24 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Well the midwest extends clear to Colorado so there are plenty of farmers in the midwest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States

Old 01-22-2010, 04:59 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
It is important to find a condo development that tends to be or is all over approx. 55. The three that we are interested in have few if any children and all the residents tend to be retired or semi retired.

There are those lower cost developments that paraded the "pool" and "playground" or catered to the first time homebuyer but these were not the ones we were interested in. In fact, all 3 have been around since at earliest 1977 and are known for being well managed and maintained. They are on a street that has all the shopping anyone would need as well as sidewalks for 5+ miles. There is even a nice new senior rental well positioned for living without a car all the time.

Condos are not all for the young or cash poor.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Age? area

If you can handle MSP, I would consider this joint, (Right on the parkway, EZ access, active group, including leadership in housing management (Senior Co-op)

Becketwood

This is a good place too, but an older crowd.
7500 York - Ebenezer (http://www.fairviewebenezer.org/Housing/c_118184.asp - broken link)
The Minnesota Field Office’s Experience with Cooperatives - HUD

There are some newer co-ops in the MN, WI area that have a younger crowd. A brand new one in Rochester is very nice and on a greenbelt with views of the city.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 AM

265 posts, read 873,484 times
I used to live in the Carillon development in Romeoville. SW suburb of Chicago. It is an active adult community with a clubhouse, swimming pool both inside and outside, lots of activities. Most of the development is small single family homes. But there is one high rise of condos. Need to be 55 to join. There are a number of these type communities in the suburbs around the Chicago area. Most were built in the 1995 to 2005 time frame. Sorry , I don't have more details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement