Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times

Advertisements

I am always fascinated by the divergence of threads on CD. They can get so far off the original intent and yet still stay interesting and have strong connections to the OP's post. This seems to be one of those. It's wandering all over the place, but is full of really useful information.

Have you noticed that LauraC not only starts good threads, but always has great input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:38 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
moderate climate with a bias towards hot and dry...maybe Tucson???

Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
One of my brothers lives in Rio Rico and has to travel to Tucson for a lot of things. He doesn't have much good to say about the place...

Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
moderate climate with a bias towards hot and dry...maybe Tucson???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
... Arizona - I lived in Phoenix. There is not an ounce of "culture" in the whole State, plus it is hot and getting crowded....
not sure you're gonna be able to help here.

HWTOIHW ,,, Could be a 'Long Island thing', I've noticed that a lot. It is good to get an idea of the cultural attitudes in different parts of the world (and how they respond to 'suggestions' when they 'ask' for them). The 'spice of life' is good for diversity. That way we don't all end up in Tuscon

Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am always fascinated by the divergence of threads on CD. They can get so far off the original intent and yet still stay interesting and have strong connections to the OP's post. This seems to be one of those. It's wandering all over the place, but is full of really useful information.

Have you noticed that LauraC not only starts good threads, but always has great input?
...so these three oysters walk up to the bar and....just kidding.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:47 AM

202 posts, read 821,251 times
Default future housing

This article from the Dallas News is on what the builders are observing. Seems like there are no real clear trends but there is some downsizing and interest in energy efficiency. Just like the posters on here, there's no broad consensus on future housing.
Homebuilders hope boomers beat path to their door again | Dallas Real Estate News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Old 02-01-2010, 11:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
... Seems like there are no real clear trends but there is some downsizing and interest in energy efficiency. Just like the posters on here, there's no broad consensus on future housing. ...
Maybe there is a market for 'carving up' McMansions with a chainsaw. Excessive Property Tax and Utility charges will become the 'next burden of foreclosure'. Not many of the McMansions are appropriate for mixed generations. Huge garages on the main floor, but no bedrooms Not ez for us 'older' folks, tho we might be sleeping in the garage anyway.

'Indoor RV parking' would be a good use for such places (less tax on Garage space), + 'mom-and-dad' could hit-the-road whenever the tension built too high.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
There are alot of coop living co-housing developments cropping up all over the country - mixing generations.....

What Is Cohousing? | The Cohousing Association of the United States

Old 02-02-2010, 08:58 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Thanks. Have you noticed I have no input for this one? I rent.

If I had a house it would definitely be one level with grab bars. I won't even rent a townhouse and they are popular around here. You don't have to be old to fall or slip but at least when I was younger I had a better shot at getting up.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Thanks. Have you noticed I have no input for this one? I rent.

If I had a house it would definitely be one level with grab bars. I won't even rent a townhouse and they are popular around here. You don't have to be old to fall or slip but at least when I was younger I had a better shot at getting up.
Single story homes will make for good senior living. We will have wide doorways, tile or concrete, walk in shower that can house a wheelchair.
Our last home will be very, very small, with a place to sit, watch tv (if we have tv) place to eat and sleep and bath. No luxury space except for a small cubicle for office stuff. I would rather have a courtyard and spend most of my time outside in a garden or patio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement