Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:45 PM

183 posts, read 352,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codydog View Post
Give it a bit more thought, I have been retired 3 years and unless you have lots and lots of money, to do whatever you want, it can get mundane. We have enough money to be very comfortable, but are not super rich. Good luck with the plans and I hope you make the right decision for you.
Not calling anyone out, but I still have a hard time with the idea that you need money to avoid boredom. Libraries are still free. Books, movie rentals, internet access, etc. Volunteering is free. Hiking is still free, fishing can be done cheaply. Camping is cheap. Gardening can be done for almost nothing. Chatting with friends, playing with your grandkids, spending time with your spouse, all free.

Photography is a cheap hobby and writing is all but free. Riding a bike or walking on the beach...free. Painting can be done very cheaply, and after an initial modest investment, learning to play an instrument is free. Geocaching takes you on adventures for the price of gas and a $99 GPS. Enjoying the world around you, free! Lots of places give inexpensive or even free classes. Teaching can actually earn you money as can many hobbies. I could go on.

And who says retirement has to be the lack of working for money? I know lots of people that do something they enjoy to make money for parts for the 66 Corvette they are restoring or to take that dream trip to Europe. They don't have a big nest egg or pension, but still manage to live comfortably and do a little work to afford the big stuff. A CEO type might define retirement as volunteering full time to help a non-profit charity maximize the good work they do. A person with a high pressure career migh define it as a working in a low pressure environment.

Retirement is not an event, but a process. You don't pick a place to live, a lifestyle to enjoy and then do it until you die. That's called a career! Retirement isn't defined by the dictionary, or your friends, coworkers or forum posters, but by you! Some folks need to work to have purpose and meaning. Many don't. Do what makes you happy and if you can do it at 46 on a shoestring, more power to ya!!! If you want to work longer to build a bigger nest egg ,and you understand the tradeoffs, so you can drive a Cadillac and live in a mansion on a golf course, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Photography a cheap hobby ?????????? phew! i need a job just to support my wife and i with our photography hobby... good lenses are brutal... software can be nuts and all the accessories can run more then alot of cameras.... and the worst part is we both love photography so we need two of everything.... ha ha ha . we should have taken up a cheaper hobby like collectable cars ...

we have lots of photos posted in the city-data photography section... stop by for a visit.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM

183 posts, read 352,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Photography a cheap hobby ?????????? phew! i need a job just to support my wife and i with our photography hobby... good lenses are brutal... software can be nuts and all the accessories can run more then alot of cameras.... and the worst part is we both love photography so we need two of everything.... ha ha ha . we should have taken up a cheaper hobby like collectable cars ...

we have lots of photos posted in the city-data photography section... stop by for a visit.
LOL! Maybe I should have said that it CAN be a cheap hobby.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

Hobbies passionately pursued are seldom accompanied by fiscal responsibility.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:18 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I'm not one of these people who needs a job just to stay busy. Hell, I'd like to retire in my 40's too. But not on a tight budget watching every penny. To me that's not worth it, and I'd rather work a little longer so my quality of life is a little better. To each his own, but I would only retire before 50 if I could live the way I like to live...eat out when I want, travel, buy the things I like when I feel like it, start soem hobbies that do cost a little money etc. I don't want to be confined to a tight budget, otherwise I may as well work a bit longer. I also don't have any friends in my age range that would retire this early in life, so I'd have to find some sort of social outlet besides a local American Legion or I'd go crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement