Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Actually, my Blog explains how I reduced my high cholesterol without drugs and continue to do so
what does it say on your blog (cannot access it)??

Thanks for the oatmeal reminder and the Mayo Clinic article!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 01:04 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,041,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
what does it say on your blog (cannot access it)??

Thanks for the oatmeal reminder and the Mayo Clinic article!

OK... sometimes I do cheat but for the majority of the time I adhere to my eating lifestyle which is based on this book: "The Omega Diet" by Artemis P. Simopoulos, MD & Jo Robinson.

I do not eat any red meat / dairy / junk food / fast food / deli food / soda pop/ hydrogenated fat in processed foods/ white bread/ pasta/ processed snacks ~

I do eat fresh veggies, fresh fruit, fresh fish, canned tuna, some chicken, ground turkey for chili, canned beans, whole grains, brown rice, nuts, egg white omelet, olive oil, canola oil & flaxseed oil daily.

The book explains why it's important to consume Omega3 essential fatty acids and reduce consumption of the Omega6 efa in order to reduce inflammation.

This eating plan has lowered my cholesterol and maintains a healthy immune system. Whenever I cheat (I can feel the difference).

Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 8,999,803 times
NEG - Can you see Blog XXXX on the far right upper corner under Coney's post? I believe she just copy & pasted it here on this post.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,829,403 times
One thing that brought my cholesterol down (and weight) was to stop eating cheese. That stuff really reeks havoc with ones arteries. And my hummm, shall we say, digestion improved greatly too.

Canned beans??? Boy, if I ate any kind of beans (even though they are healthy) you wouldn't want to be around me

Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
NEG - Can you see Blog XXXX on the far right upper corner under Coney's post? I believe she just copy & pasted it here on this post.

Thanks, I never knew that was there!

Coney Island, what about yogurt, any of that, or do you avoid all dairy?

(I'm well acquainted with the problem of dairy, it worsens my health challenges)

Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
One thing that brought my cholesterol down (and weight) was to stop eating cheese. That stuff really reeks havoc with ones arteries. And my hummm, shall we say, digestion improved greatly too.

Canned beans??? Boy, if I ate any kind of beans (even though they are healthy) you wouldn't want to be around me
I find that if dried beans are soaked overnite and cooked a very long time there is no problem (add salt at the end after they are cooked).

Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,041,416 times
Talking Dairy foods ....

Lactose-intolerance forced me to give up all dairy foods including cheese and yogurt Now I suspect soy products cause bloating, so I have given them up also. No big deal!! There is such an abundance of fresh, wholesome foods to choose from that I do not miss the over-processed dairy and soy

My last Dexa-Scan revealed that the osteopenia I have had for over 10 years has NOT PROGRESSED ~ even without the dairy foods, I'm holding up OK ~ so far and I'm proud of the fact that I don't need to take any prescribed drugs to maintain normalcy

Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,869,471 times
Too bad this thread got high-jacked for a while over the non-issue of driving or not driving a car. (Sure, traffic injuries and deaths do occur, but statistically that's not what makes people "unhealthy"). Little Dolphin said it best; the key to remaining vital as we age is exercise and good diet along with remaining connected to other people and having meaningful activities. Being isolated and sitting at home watching TV is deadly. So is being a couch potato. A good book on the science behind all this is Younger Next Year by Crowley and Lodge. While aimed at men, it's still an engaging read for all. Their main thesis is that most of the debilities associated with "normal" aging are not normal at all, but are the result of inactivity, both physical and social.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 AM

Interesting article on escalating food fraud - today's Washington Post (online 3/30). Seniors, get our bifocals on.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:36 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,645,188 times
Another helpful way to stay healthy: get a dog or 3 and walk them 2x a day. Or take them to the dog park and meet lots of nice people there. You can also volunteer to be a dog walker at some shelters if owning a dog is too much of a commitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement