Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 09:40 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times

Advertisements

Just my humble opinion ~ but it works for me I don't count calories because all fat is not equal (good fat/bad fat).

The study of nutrition is so complicated and even experts disagree ~ no wonder there is so much confusion out there. One thing is agreed by all..... there is an epidemic of obesity ..... resulting from the lack of nutrition education or lack of caring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 11:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
...~ but it works for me I don't count calories because all fat is not equal (good fat/bad fat).

I'm not a big counter of calories either (spend to much time counting costs)

Thus I feel fine after my weekly batch of homemade Ice Cream in the summer. Yes, 5qts of the 100%-full-fat-stuff, heavier the cream the better

I mitigate calories it by topping it with a sprinkle of granola or GrapeNuts (gotta get your fiber )

I seem to have plenty of help eating it, as friends and neighbors (and kids) know the routine; and fresh berries are hanging on the vine or bush.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:34 PM

7 posts, read 9,214 times
Default Re

If we are concerning about the safety of our vehicles and other assets, then why not we bother about our health.
so i believe health insurance is much important to us as it not only insure our health and also beneficial in case of an emergency.
Those people who are getting Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board benefits and ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also called Lou Gehrig’s disease) then they are automatically enroll for Part A Medicare benefits.
http://medicarenewsline.com/

Old 04-04-2010, 10:44 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I was only talking about "calorie-counting" as a way to lose weight....not saying I do it on a daily basis. If you're happy with your weight, great. But there are many people are this board who are still talking about the obesity epidemic and various weight-loss methods. My simple answer, and this is NOT a subject of debate or controversy among nutritionists, is limit the calories you put in your mouth. Yes, you still need fat calories but it's recommended to limit them to about 30% of your total calories per day. And it's not hard to figure out what the "bad fats" are -- basically, mostly everything that tastes yummy to us! Or at least to me....LOL.

From a profession of nutrition: "Excess calories from any source is what's responsible for weight gain, not fat per se. In the scheme of things, total calorie intake matters the most."

In other words, it's not "eating between meals", or "eating before bed", or any of the other fallacies we've heard through the years -- it's TOTAL CALORIES PER DAY, OR WEEK.

Last edited by Avalon08; 04-04-2010 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 04-05-2010, 09:17 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
You're not going to like this - I eat whatever I want to. BUT I never eat alot of anything and I can easily forget to eat all day and then pig out (yes, sometimes after 7 p.m.)

I have a theory: I think the weight thing starts when we are young (infants). It's not necessarily genetics as my mother and all the women on that side of the family were big. The women on my father's side were average. My mother was no Betty Crocker and would easily forget about feeding us - not whining about this - it just was what it was. I think I got use to not eating when I was young so I've never been focused on food. I've gone days and then eat because I feel strange. It's odd, I know, but that's my story. Now, I can eat all day one day and then not eat much of anything for a couple days. I'm also very active so I wear off any calories.

But, for "normal" people, I would follow the advice I keep hearing from "the experts" and not eat after 7 p.m - eat a good breakfast, light lunch & light dinner. Of course, healthy foods are important.
My 5' aunt put a curse on me when I was in high school and had to use rubberbands to hold up my knee socks because I was so skinny. She told me, "I was skinny like you when I was a teenager and look at me now. Just wait." I, of course, being an invincible teenager pooh-poohed her prediction and had my second bowl of cavatelli. <sigh>

Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I
In other words, it's not "eating between meals", or "eating before bed", or any of the other fallacies we've heard through the years -- it's TOTAL CALORIES PER DAY, OR WEEK.
I think the thought that eating late at night is because you don't have a chance to burn off any of the calories and they turn to excess (fat) over night. You can eat as many calories as you want (within reason & the right kind)) IF you burn them off. Sitting doesn't do it. A slow meander around the block doesn't do it either. I'm talking physical activity and it doesn't have to be in a gym.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I think the thought that eating late at night is because you don't have a chance to burn off any of the calories and they turn to excess (fat) over night.
No, that's not backed up by research. A calorie is a calorie, no matter when you eat it. The body doesn't recognize what time of day it is. If you eat 1800 calories but burn 2000 a day, you will lose weight even if 600 of them are at 11 PM. The reason this myth may have started is that eating late at night usually involves fatty snacking, or that it's an ADDITIONAL meal after already eating enough calories for the day, or that if you eat earlier, you may do more physical activity afterward whereas if you eat late, you may go right to bed.

From another nutritionist: "Quite simply, if you eat more calories than your body needs they will be turned to fat regardless of whether you eat them in the morning or at night. Likewise, if you eat fewer calories than your body needs each day then your body will burn them off rather than storing them no matter what time you eat them."

It should be simple, but to many people, it's not and they are still very mis-informed and mis-led by fad diets.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Quote:
No, that's not backed up by research. A calorie is a calorie, no matter when you eat it. The body doesn't recognize what time of day it is. If you eat 1800 calories but burn 2000 a day, you will lose weight even if 600 of them are at 11 PM. The reason this myth may have started is that eating late at night usually involves fatty snacking, or that it's an ADDITIONAL meal after already eating enough calories for the day, or that if you eat earlier, you may do more physical activity afterward whereas if you eat late, you may go right to bed.

From another nutritionist: "Quite simply, if you eat more calories than your body needs they will be turned to fat regardless of whether you eat them in the morning or at night. Likewise, if you eat fewer calories than your body needs each day then your body will burn them off rather than storing them no matter what time you eat them."

It should be simple, but to many people, it's not and they are still very mis-informed and mis-led by fad diets.
I think we said the same thing: whenever you eat, if you don't burn the calories up, it turns to FAT. The chances of burning calories from a late binge right before or near bedtime is highly unlikely. Therefore it is not a myth.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I think we said the same thing: whenever you eat, if you don't burn the calories up, it turns to FAT. The chances of burning calories from a late binge right before or near bedtime is highly unlikely. Therefore it is not a myth.
Yes, if you eat more calories than you burn, it turns to fat. But the rest of the statement IS a myth. As I said above, it doesn't matter what time you eat, only how many TOTAL calories you eat and burn in a day. The body doesn't process the calories more slowly when you're sleeping. My point being, not eating after 7 or 8 PM is not a weight-loss plan if the total daily calorie intake is not reduced. Not sure how many more ways I can say it, but there are many reputable sites that dispel the "late-night eating turns to fat" myth.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
I was only talking about "calorie-counting" as a way to lose weight....not saying I do it on a daily basis. If you're happy with your weight, great. But there are many people are this board who are still talking about the obesity epidemic and various weight-loss methods. My simple answer, and this is NOT a subject of debate or controversy among nutritionists, is limit the calories you put in your mouth. Yes, you still need fat calories but it's recommended to limit them to about 30% of your total calories per day. And it's not hard to figure out what the "bad fats" are -- basically, mostly everything that tastes yummy to us! Or at least to me....LOL.

From a profession of nutrition: "Excess calories from any source is what's responsible for weight gain, not fat per se. In the scheme of things, total calorie intake matters the most."

But we can drive ourselves NUTS trying to count calories! Who has time and patience for this? I'm not trying to be lazy but also don't want to spend my last years being a fanatic. But you are right, in any case. How do YOU do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement