Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Sounds like one of the old fashioned bikes with three speeds - you sit up straight rather than bent over the bars. Those three speeders were killers going up steep hills! How does the hybrid help older folks - in any way?
Only by the more upright posture. Hybrids are considerably more sophisticated than those old bikes with the touch gears and 21 speeds or so.

They make multispeed tricycles that can be very good for infirm people. My brother got one because he has a balance problem and it is great for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post

They make multispeed tricycles that can be very good for infirm people. My brother got one because he has a balance problem and it is great for him.
My grandmother had one of those back in the 60's! My cousins and I loved to ride it around her place

Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Only by the more upright posture. Hybrids are considerably more sophisticated than those old bikes with the touch gears and 21 speeds or so.

Tricycle....how are they in going up rising roads?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Tricycle....how are they in going up rising roads?
That's what the gears are for. My brother rides his in mountains. I think they are expensive but for him it was well worth it.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Yet another friend is having a hip replacement, age 60. I am wondering what is going on with boomers, why are we having such a hard time with hips, knees, arthritis, et c when many are eating well and living good lifestyles???

Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yet another friend is having a hip replacement, age 60. I am wondering what is going on with boomers, why are we having such a hard time with hips, knees, arthritis, et c when many are eating well and living good lifestyles???
As I recall, my mother's generation & the one before had plenty of arthritis. Many had a lot of trouble getting around and didn't do a lot of things because of it. The difference is that joint replacement can get us back in the saddle. I know I am a lot more agile than my mother was at this age. Stretching, exercise, & some alternative supplements have made a big difference.

I think the mobility problems have many more solutions than were available to our parents at the same age. My mother did better in her 70's than in her 50's because of it.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
As I recall, my mother's generation & the one before had plenty of arthritis. Many had a lot of trouble getting around and didn't do a lot of things because of it. The difference is that joint replacement can get us back in the saddle. I know I am a lot more agile than my mother was at this age. Stretching, exercise, & some alternative supplements have made a big difference.

I think the mobility problems have many more solutions than were available to our parents at the same age. My mother did better in her 70's than in her 50's because of it.
Yes all true. I just wonder sometimes, with the boomers eating very well, avoiding junk foods and taking supplements, jogging, doing yoga, etc...why so many including myself have physical problems despite all the good care we give ourselves. I wonder how much is simply environmental, or stress, etc. I don't remember my mother or any of her friends ever thinking about health foods, exercise, supplements, etc...just meat & potatoes and many of them seemed to live to a very ripe old age!

Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Yes all true. I just wonder sometimes, with the boomers eating very well, avoiding junk foods and taking supplements, jogging, doing yoga, etc...why so many including myself have physical problems despite all the good care we give ourselves. I wonder how much is simply environmental, or stress, etc. I don't remember my mother or any of her friends ever thinking about health foods, exercise, supplements, etc...just meat & potatoes and many of them seemed to live to a very ripe old age!
Has anyone here age 60+ become a vegan without dairy and feel healthier for it? I'm reading Dr. Hyman's books and they really make sense. I ate this way in my 20s but in ensuing years though I stayed "natural" I strayed, now trying to deal with health problems (he says due to inflammation). Just wondering what others have experienced.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Cool Notmilk.com

Although I not a vegan ~ I do live DAIRY-FREE and have done so for about 15 years. Since I do not have to take drugs to maintain good health I consider that to be significant, especially at my age ~ OLD ~ My blog tells more.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
Quote:

Some ideas....
above ground nuclear testing when we were children;

thousands of new chemical compounds inadequately tested for safety before their introduction (BPA is just one)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement