Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:01 PM

253 posts, read 794,956 times

Advertisements

What makes some people age gracefully and others not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I think some of it has to do with health. As some people become older and their health begins to fail, frustration and anger can ensue. Pain isn't fun and having to curtail one's activities can be frustrating. How people handle this depends on their personality, character and an effort to have a positive outlook despite that fact they may not feel up to par everyday.

This is only one tiny piece of a large picture. I am certain many people will have many different ideas.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I guess it why some people seem to be depressed so often and other do not. Genes;upbring or whatever some are just angry;gloomy all the time.Sometimes I think its more to do with the half of your personality that experts say your born with. Doesn't seem to have much to do with money but more to do with how a person views themselfs. Just my observtions.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:17 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
In my opinion, keeping up with "the times" is one of the most important ways of keeping a sharp mind and youthful spirit. That means keeping up with current events and not retreating to a world of old movies. It means keeping up with current styles and sometimes updating the old hairstyle from the 60's or big glasses from the 80's. It means keeping an open mind about current music even though one may long for the days of Sinatra or Motown. It means learning how to use a computer.

Even if a person has age-related health issues, he or she can still look, sound and feel younger by just rolling with the times and not getting stuck in a particular era. Just my opinion. My Mom is 87 and VERY frail medically, but I had to chuckle a few summers ago when she informed me that "dresses are really IN"....and they were! LOL

Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 AM

97 posts, read 275,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
In my opinion, keeping up with "the times" is one of the most important ways of keeping a sharp mind and youthful spirit. That means keeping up with current events and not retreating to a world of old movies. It means keeping up with current styles and sometimes updating the old hairstyle from the 60's or big glasses from the 80's. It means keeping an open mind about current music even though one may long for the days of Sinatra or Motown. It means learning how to use a computer.

Even if a person has age-related health issues, he or she can still look, sound and feel younger by just rolling with the times and not getting stuck in a particular era.
So true Avalon. I wish my 82 year old Mother would understand this.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:39 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,259,891 times
I always thought not aging gracefully went along with trying to be something you are not. Trying to act "young" generally means acting like a fool and people don't respect you for it.

Accepting your age and condition with grace means concentrating on what you have now and the future, not on what you have lost. Or denying that your youth is no more.

I think the same traits that keep people looking forward with happiness rather than regretting what is not works at any stage of life.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:08 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
For men maintaining a key eye for younger woman keeps a bounce in your step. A bounce in your step is good for your cardiovascular system and that is good for your over all health. Note I just said an eye for that's all. Just mere spectator sport activity.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Someone gave me this (not sure why

A Prayer for Those Growing Old

Lord, Thou knowest I am growing older. Keep me from becoming talkative and possessed with the idea that I must express myself on every subject.

Release me from the craving to straigten out everyone's affairs.

Keep me from the recital of endless detail. Give me wings to get to the point.

Seal my lips when I am inclined to tell of my aches and pains. They are increasing with the years and my love to speak of them grows sweeter as time goes by.

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be wrong. Make me thoughtful but not nosey; helpful but not bossy.

With my vast store of wisdom and experience, it does seem a pity not to use it all. But Thou knowest, Lord, that I want a few friends in the end...amen!

I thought it was funny and oh so very true! Aging gracefully means laughing at myself alot.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 PM

915 posts, read 1,625,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post

Even if a person has age-related health issues, he or she can still look, sound and feel younger by just rolling with the times and not getting stuck in a particular era. Just my opinion. My Mom is 87 and VERY frail medically, but I had to chuckle a few summers ago when she informed me that "dresses are really IN"....and they were! LOL
I agree totally with this concerning keeping up with "the times". (I say this as I am listening to the top 40 on AOL radio). I enjoy a whole spectrum of music, even some that is really quite trashy but come to think of it, what I listened to as a teen was pretty trashy in many ways. I dress how I feel like dressing/sometimes it's funky, sometimes professional (less and less each day) and sometimes possibly even too young for my age if there's a rule out there that I'm ignoring. But it's not trying to be young - it's because I like the look and if I can still wear short little skorts, might as well. I find I can laugh with pretty much any generation/again not trying to be one of them but just being who I am and continuing to enjoy the discovery/the journey. I have a silly, light-hearted dancing dad and a totally insane older sister who also refuses to "act her age". I think we are all having a lot more fun and seeing the lighter side of living as a result. Like I said, it's not acting young/it's feeling young in spirit regardless of the process that takes place in the body.

By contrast, I watched a spouse who hates getting older and despises "old people" remain fixated in his own generation, seeing no value in anything that has happened artistically/fashion-wise etc in the past forty years. His attitude stinks and I can only imagine he will become an even more unhappy camper as the years pass. (fortunately, I will not remain in the same household and witness the bitterness).

I greatly appreciate the past, I try to live in the present and I look forward to the future. Attitude is about the only thing in this life that I have control of;

Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Comparisons

My mom just passed away at 89. She declined in the past few years but was a healthy eater, not a good exerciser.

My husband's aunt is the same age - 89. She flies down to FL, stays with her brother, cooks, cleans, does everything for him (thank God), she dyes her hair, wears makeup, is a vegetarian, walks just a little but is awesome!

Just looking at the two of them makes me sad my mom didn't pick up on the exercise like 20 years ago.

You never know. It really scares me sometimes. I do want to have some fun years with my husband and friends and family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement