Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Unemployment for Americans 55 and older surged 331 percent over the past decade, according to a new analysis by the AARP Public Policy Institute.

"The data clearly shows that older workers have faced a devastating rise in unemployment, with far-reaching implications not only for their employment status but also for their health and retirement security," said AARP spokeswoman Mary Liz Burns.

AARP: Unemployment For Older Americans Surged 331 Percent Over Past Decade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Unemployment for Americans 55 and older surged 331 percent over the past decade, according to a new analysis by the AARP Public Policy Institute.

"The data clearly shows that older workers have faced a devastating rise in unemployment, with far-reaching implications not only for their employment status but also for their health and retirement security," said AARP spokeswoman Mary Liz Burns.

AARP: Unemployment For Older Americans Surged 331 Percent Over Past Decade
I suffered some missteps along the way and while I ended up OK what I would do if I were 25 today would be totally different.

I would avoid all debt like the plague with the exception of a house that I could pay off in 15 years. With a house paid for and zero debt you should be able to weather about any storm even if all you could get would be a minimum wage job.

Some people out there are in their 50's and owe huge, monster mortgages on houses that are underwater. That would creep me out and I am generally fearless.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
they want it fast they want it cheap, they want it no frills, min customer service ability, that would not be over 55 people.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:50 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I faced this problem when I was 55 back in 2001-2002 then again in 2003-2004 due to layoffs. Right now the company I work for is following the trend of hiring very young people fresh out of school. There used to be many older people working there who have been there for 20 plus years but they are either retiring or being laid off. If they are replaced it is by the 20 year olds.

With unemployment has high as it is in my state, I cannot believe that only the youngsters are applying but I have yet to see any new hirees over thirty. The other thing old Voldemort Inc does is hire people from one employment agency as temps for the more clerical type jobs. When their time is up they are let go and a new person takes their place. In that way the company saves money on having to pay for a permanent employee's benefits.

I don't think this agency will take on someone over thirty. They certainly have never sent over anyone past the age of thirty. I know the one agency I went to when I was out of work had a really nasty attitude towards me but at least they were honest, and told me they would rather deal with someone more "employable" (substitute the word "younger") even though I have had years of experience, good skills and glowing recommendations in writing.

It's a tough job market for everyone but I believe that it's even more difficult for us seniors who still have to work.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think thst AARP is not to be really trusted as they have a vested political interest in slanting the stats like so many groups. They are getting famous for fear articles to increase their enrollment like many oragniztions that IMO have gone beyond the welfare of their group in the general society. They are just another lobby group loss in the mase of power seekers.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I am inclined to believe the AARP because a)they do not have a reputation for blatantly falsifying data and b) I have noticed this phenomenon in my own community. We have a census coming up. That should supply lots of new data,which, I believe, will show more older citizens than ever continuing in the work force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement