Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM

21 posts, read 25,665 times

Advertisements

Ive noticed that the happiest people in life are those that love what they do, and DREAD the day that they have to retire! To me looking forward to retirement is a sad situation. It just means that somebody never found that thing in life that they were passionate about disguised as a "job"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,437,358 times
Unfortunately, most of us are looking forward to retirement.
If I were Warren Buffett, I would never retired either.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,444,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastof50 View Post
Ive noticed that the happiest people in life are those that love what they do, and DREAD the day that they have to retire! To me looking forward to retirement is a sad situation. It just means that somebody never found that thing in life that they were passionate about disguised as a "job"!
Passions change. Tolerance for stress changes. Life changes. What's important changes. Lots of things change.

I've been working for over 42 years. I can't wait to go on 'permanent summer vacation'. I'm known as a happy person now - but I'll be ecstatic in a few years

Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,707,783 times
Quote:
Warren Buffett isn't exactly the "average American" either...

If you can find a job you're truly passionate about and love, then you may enjoy going to work everyday but many people are in jobs that they don't love. Many OWNERS of businesses enjoy going to work everyday because they're essentially protecting their investment. If you are working for someone else, you don't have the same commitment to your work.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:38 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,919,144 times
It would be interesting, but probably impossible, to know what percentage of people love their job, what percentage of people hate it, and what percentage fall somewhere in between (i.e., get considerable satisfaction and enjoyment out of some facets of their work, but also have considerable frustration and stress with other aspects).

Old 05-09-2010, 05:34 PM

10,033 posts, read 9,516,367 times
I feel sorry for Warren, he can't afford to retire.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
I don't think Warren is 'punching the clock' to work for 'The Man'

I get the impression he enjoys the challenge of playing 'Monopoly', with 'Buffet dollars'. A bit out of my league.

Many independent business people work well into their 80's and really enjoy it, that is great! Retirement certainly is not a 'uniform' process. Your mileage may vary.

My grandpa's 1st day of 'retirement' (and 2nd vacation) was age 92, when he arrived at a care home because he was injured fueling his tractor. He wouldn't have wanted it any other way, and we're very proud of him (a Cornhusker too, of course). He did get mad at the cows one weekend evening when he was 87. They got out of the fence once to often, and the next morning they went off to the sale barn, all 57 of them- Watch Out!!. The memory of going to find him when he didn't come in for supper will always stick with me. I found him watering the garden from his AC'd car , He had lots of field space and grandma wondered why he had left 8 ft between the rows

My best wishes for Warren's continuous happy 'retirement'. Keep rolling the dice , and making strategic moves ole buddy. And best wishes to his fortunate shareholders. I worked for some great patriarchs too (Bill and Dave, the guys from the Stanford garage), they contributed much to the working class (benefits) as well as taught me a thing or two about retiring and being benevolent. They were a lot of fun to interface with, even in their old age. If Warren can keep funding the Gates Foundation, more power to him, he just might be extraordinarily happy and useful doing that.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-09-2010 at 06:59 PM..

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM

183 posts, read 352,276 times
I agree, Warren Buffett is not an ordinary guy. Most of us are in careers we picked when we were 16-20 years old. Things change, we mature, find out our the career we thought would be so cool at 18 is really not that exciting, or just begin to become bored with it. Retirement isn't a sad day, its they day we get to start doing what we really want to do. Even if you love what you do, retirement could be the day you start doing things exactly the way you want. Few of us have the complete freedom we crave while we work for a living, no matter how much we love it.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,052,656 times
If I was Warren Buffett, I would feel the exact same way.

I'm sure he has his problems but if I was a bejillionaire with a successful empire at my disposal, it would be fun to go to work every day.

Now if I was working at WalMart, I would be a lot less enthusiastic about the whole thing. And I would probably need the money a lot more than Mr. Buffett does. I also bet that if Mr. Buffett was working at WalMart, HE would be a lot less enthusiastic about the whole thing.

Most normal folks have NO understanding of what Mr. Buffett's life is like. Mr. Buffet had talent, skills, and he worked hard. Just like lots of us do. Mr. Buffett was also lucky. I often wonder what life would be like if I was given those same opportunities. Since life isn't fair, I'll never know and I'll just continue to make the best of what I have.

Last edited by yellowsnow; 05-10-2010 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: added another thought.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,437,358 times
When friends tells me he loves his job, I always repond: No you don't love your job, you have a job because you need the money. I would belive you love your job if they don't pay you and you still want to go to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement