Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:48 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times

Advertisements

Some times I wish they had never invented TV. I suspect that the boob tube has stopped people from communicating for 50 years. Without TV maybe more people would spend time talking.

My retired Mother in law is addicted to the TV set. She turns it on when she wakes in the morning and basically watches it until the evening news ends at 11:30 PM. She may talk a little but the TV is her main source of communication. Most of her comments are about something that is on the TV.

Do you know anyone else who has moved into retirement who just sit in front of the TV all day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
To her, TV is like having someone in the house, my TV is on a lot and I live alone so there are no other voices. There is no human touch. This forum has become my human touch and form of communication. If a person retires without something that interests them besides the work that they did, then it can be very difficult. Getting her to turn it off for a while may be even more difficult. Maybe puzzles, that kept my Mom from watching too much TV. Is she healthy? Then she needs to walk. Try anything, something to get her to move. My Mom died last month and she was in too much pain too walk with me, but she did puzzles and when she felt good, did everything she could like wash, cook and clean. She cherished every good day!!

Your Mother In Law will become sedentary, which is bad, bad. Try something. I feel for you and her. Good luck

Old 06-17-2007, 09:13 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I know some who sit at the computer all day

Old 06-17-2007, 10:52 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Thank God for cable!!! Imagine spending 14 hours a day limited to NBC, ABC or CBS (I know the posters in this area of the forum know what I'm referring to here).

My 78 year old mom leaves the shopping channel on all day and calls in a few times a month, she believes those folks are her friends.

Us folks today are much more sophisticated than those oldtimers, we have disembodied discussions with folks using false names.

Old 06-17-2007, 10:57 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
Is it posible that your Mother in law is depressed??

I love to watch TV I have to say.
My Dad treated the TV as if it were some kind of flaw in your morality if you watched it, he got VERY controlling about it which really annoyed me...

As long as no one is forcing you to watch it then don't worry about it, unless like I mentioned you fear she is depressed. Then its only a symptom of a larger problem that should be addressed.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
My mother has made a rule for herself that she doesn't turn the tv on till 5pm. In the morning she reads a book and the newspaper or does things around the house. Now she has a computer and plays solitaire too.

I've gotten into the habit of turning the radio on during the day and the tv on at dinner time just for the change of input.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:17 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Is it possible you're my husband???? You've just described my mother exactly. And when I go see her, if I even look at the TV she turns it up like I'm interested in watching it.

I know that she is depressed (on medication) but television itself is depressing.

But yes, we use the word "addicted" to describe her. A few years ago she had a bad bout of pneumonia and then from the hospital to a rehab center for 2 weeks. On the day we moved her from the hospital to the rehab center she said "I want to be in the room by 3 p.m. That's when Dr. Phil comes on." And she was serious!

I feel for her because she can't do much--but the more time she spends on the couch watching television, the less she's able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Some times I wish they had never invented TV. I suspect that the boob tube has stopped people from communicating for 50 years. Without TV maybe more people would spend time talking.

My retired Mother in law is addicted to the TV set. She turns it on when she wakes in the morning and basically watches it until the evening news ends at 11:30 PM. She may talk a little but the TV is her main source of communication. Most of her comments are about something that is on the TV.

Do you know anyone else who has moved into retirement who just sit in front of the TV all day?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I think I may know one or two others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post

Old 06-19-2007, 10:46 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Me too. Especially on City-Data.com.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:10 AM

20 posts, read 76,634 times
My tv is on 24/7 just because I want it on. I don't truly watch it all the time but it is on for noise. I am at my computer many hours a day now here at this site plus bird boards and I do a lot of genealogy research. When I go to the couch to put my feet up I often work on organizing research pages in the many binders I have going.

I also love to embroidery and make tied quilts which I can do on the couch in front of the tv. Give me a good movie or a marathon of a favorite show and I can flat put out the work >>> My thought is for her to find something productive to do in front of tv. Maybe you need her to make you an embroidered tablecloth?? It would enhance her thinking. Maybe she has photographs stuck away in boxes that she could work on putting into albums. The ironing board set at low level is a great work space :-)

Doctors so many times ask me at my 66 years old if I am depressed and I tell them I am too busy to be depressed.

Time to feed the birds their veggies dishes so off I go.

Everyone have a good one.

LindaC in OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement