Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 PM

630 posts, read 1,319,540 times

Advertisements

I'm 59 and retired 3 years ago....not enough money but I dont care. I've lost several lifelong friends and a few relatives over the past few years most in their late 40's early 50's. It was a hard decision from a financial standpoint but one that I do not regret. Life is short and spending 1/3 of my day at a job that results in basically chasing your tail made no sense to me any longer. I'm enjoying my days and living my life as fully as I can...visiting my family and doing the things I enjoy. When I turned in my notice at work, my boss said " you are too young to retire". I replied " I'd rather ride a bike and eat rice than spend one more day in pursuit of the almighty dollar".....I havent looked back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 22,018,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
I'm 59 and retired 3 years ago....not enough money but I dont care. I've lost several lifelong friends and a few relatives over the past few years most in their late 40's early 50's. It was a hard decision from a financial standpoint but one that I do not regret. Life is short and spending 1/3 of my day at a job that results in basically chasing your tail made no sense to me any longer. I'm enjoying my days and living my life as fully as I can...visiting my family and doing the things I enjoy. When I turned in my notice at work, my boss said " you are too young to retire". I replied " I'd rather ride a bike and eat rice than spend one more day in pursuit of the almighty dollar".....I havent looked back.
Do you live in an area that is affordable? Did you have to resort to the bike?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Do you live in an area that is affordable? Did you have to resort to the bike?
Have not had to resort to riding a bike, however, I have learned just how much I can do without and how much money I wasted during my "consumption" days.
I'm not poor but I'll never be one of those people who vacations every year and buys a car every 3 years. I'm more careful shopping and I feel fortunate that I do have enough to not have to live in a cardboard box behind the railroad tracks. In the big scheme of things....I'm OK

Old 06-18-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Have not had to resort to riding a bike, however, I have learned just how much I can do without and how much money I wasted during my "consumption" days.
I'm not poor but I'll never be one of those people who vacations every year and buys a car every 3 years. I'm more careful shopping and I feel fortunate that I do have enough to not have to live in a cardboard box behind the railroad tracks. In the big scheme of things....I'm OK
Have you read (Canadian writer) Ed Zelinski's book "How to Retire Happy Wild and Free"? It's for people who either choose or are forced to retire early for any reason, and it's really an upper of a book!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Have you read (Canadian writer) Ed Zelinski's book "How to Retire Happy Wild and Free"? It's for people who either choose or are forced to retire early for any reason, and it's really an upper of a book!
Thanks Newenglandgirl....I'll check it out!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:45 PM

Reading the obits, I see so many dying in their 50s and 60s. it really makes you think hard about life.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:47 PM

3,042 posts, read 7,959,454 times
Quote:
Amen,I have been retired now 22 tears,now 77,chose life over money.I did work 34 years,pension has never increased,very meager but have survived.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:12 AM

183 posts, read 352,787 times
Quote:
"Your Money or Your Life" is another book that changed my way of thinking. Even if you don't follow the program it prescribes, the ideas about money and how you relate to it are enlightening. I have come to believe that money is overrated. Sure you need some, but there is a definitely a balance. The book helps you figure out what's really important. They are different books, but both have the same general message.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:07 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,533,683 times
Yes. Where I worked they had a big memorial to those who died while still employed there. You had to pass it every day. Naturally, every year, more names were added. There was no way my name was going to be added to that memorial.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 AM

18,747 posts, read 33,502,803 times
I took a physically demanding trip on credit card once because a) my sister had breast CA b)two friends who were Buddhists who would have loved to go where I went couldn't consider it due to health and money problems. I have not regretted going (although I wouldn't do it again- just didn't enjoy it that much) plus, I had a back injury the year after and will not be taking any trips requiring a lot of hiking or carrying a pack.
As for people dying "young", I do read the obits. Always have. Wince at people younger than me.
However, there's nothing in particular that I wish I could do that I haven't done, like in a "bucket list," or there are things that I will only be able to do with a certain amount of money and security (live temporarily in the desert and volunteer, spend summers in high mountain country). If I quit working and lived very close to the bone, I couldn't do those things. Also, of course, there is always the question of health insurance.
I could see working part-time earlier rather than later. My job pays pro-rated health insurance at 16 hours a week.
I do fear being old and wishing I'd saved more money. Longevity seems to run on both sides of my family. As I say, you're either nice and Jewish and get cancer, or crazy and Christian and live forever. Those that don't get cancer live into their 90s in good health. Unless I get news to the contrary, I expect to plan money for a long life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement