Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 12:00 PM

49 posts, read 124,883 times

Advertisements

My sister is on disability and has been for some time. She has good days and bad but I feel that she needs to get out and see people once or twice a week (getting very depressed). I looked into it and someone told me there is a program where you can still be on disability but also work a few hours per week. I tried to find it on the SS/Dis website but did not see anything. Does anyone know about this program and what is involved? Or can you direct me to a website about it? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,463,389 times
Home Page -- The Work Site -- Social Security Online

What city does she live in. You sometimes find this info at the library, but it's usually very simple to find if you type in the city and ticket to work program.

Edited to add:

I see you are in Tampa, if she lives there, just know they usually have a long waiting list to get into the program, but she should still sign up. I was on their list, though they deemed me severely disabled. It was going to be close to a year before I came to the top of the list to see if they could help me train to do some kind of work that I could do to the satisfaction of an employer. I think others that were more employable, got higher preference.

There are places in tampa that assist people with disabilities that could help her get info on proceedures. She could get a part-time job on her own, with your help, she just needs to report all earnings to social security and file her taxes to reflect all income as usual.

Last edited by TRosa; 08-02-2010 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 02:53 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
You best information is to ask Social Security. Information is available from the website but I know it can be complicated.

You can earn up to $1000 per month and maintain your Disability Benefits which Social Security does not consider substantial employment. That amount changes every year. This figure is different if you are statutory blind.

In addition, Social Security has many programs, called Work Incentives, that will allow to work and maintain benefits but are meant to see if you can go back to the workforce Social Security Online - Work Incentives

The substantial level of earnings is part of it because if you earn over $720 a month, then that is consider a service level and it goes against the trial work period of 9 months within a 60 month period. You will retain your benefits during a trial work period

Link for this information:

Earnings limit to receive Social Security Disability benefits.

Be sure to read this publication on work incentives:
Working While Disabled--How We Can Help

There are also many contracted agencies used by Social Security to help you understand the benefits.

So the tools are there; it just requires some effort to get the help. Asking on this forum for specific answers, is not going to help you as much. Use your energy and contact the correct resource.

Livecontent

Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 PM

49 posts, read 124,883 times
I read the website and it is a little confusing. I believe it to say that if you get a little part-time job and you don't make more than $720 a month then you can continue to receive benefits. The test work starts when you make more than $720 in a 9 month consecutive period. I think I may go down to the local SS office with her to be sure. THanks so much for your information.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:25 PM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECEDTEACH422 View Post
I read the website and it is a little confusing. I believe it to say that if you get a little part-time job and you don't make more than $720 a month then you can continue to receive benefits. The test work starts when you make more than $720 in a 9 month consecutive period. I think I may go down to the local SS office with her to be sure. THanks so much for your information.
I think you are right on the 9 month trial period. I filed for disability in 2004 and approved by a federal judge in 2007. At that time the income limit was around $640. I tried self employment and odd jobs from 2006 to 2008 and what I was doing was too physical, so I had to give it up.

I do remember being told that you get to deduct certain expenses from your monthly income before you take a look and see if your income was over $720. You can deduct medical expenses, medications, etc.

I remember by lawyer telling me, "you only get ONE trial period" and he did not recommend jumping head first into jobs for 2-3 years. The reason being, you might get in over your head as far as what you can do despite your disability. If you take your trial period too early, and find that you can not handle the work your disability claim could be in jeopardy because you do not get any more trial periods. He advised testing the waters to see what you might be able to do as far as part time work.

I recently sought a mortgage on a small house. They asked for something odd, unlike any of the other lenders. They wanted me to prove my income going out 3 years. I was told to go to the local s.s. office and ask for a
"benefit information query" so I did. It is form SSA-L634 and is 3 pages. It tells me the date of my next medical review (7/2014) and a record of my earnings since 1968.

Your sister might find this report helpful so she'll know when her next review is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement