U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2010, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,830 times

Advertisements

Cheers!

My husband will be attending the Naval War College in 2011 and we are moving to Newport in December. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and due in mid-January.

I'm looking for recommendations for OB/GYN's and hospitals to deliver at in or around Newport. So far, from what I've read, delivering at Newport Hospital is a great experience but ALL 4 the OBs on staff have gotten lukewarm, if not cold, reviews. Should I think about heading out of town to find a good doc/hospital or can anyone report a good experience with a Newport OB?

Also, I would love to find a doc who actually delivers the baby, rather than whoever is on call for the day (but I think that is quite mythical these days)!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:29 AM

8,548 posts, read 13,470,982 times
Women & Infants in Providence is the regional birthing center. Virtually everyone in RI goes there to deliver. It is state of the art, but I would imagine a bit of a factory.

here's a discussion that might interest you....
http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/f.../26772280.aspx

Old 10-15-2014, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Hi,

I know this post is old, but I am in the same situation with my husband at the War College and pregnant. Newport Hospital seems great, but I am not sure about the OBGYN's. I heard 2 of the 4 on staff will be leaving, which makes me question things.

Where did you end up delivering. There seems to be a high concentration of OBGYN's in Fall River too.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,800 times
Default Childbirth in RI

So there are 3 hospitals in RI that do births: Women & Infants, Newport, and South County. South County is a long way away from you but we did have to go there for some testing.

90% or so of births happen at Women & Infants including all high-risk pregnancies. By all accounts they are a top-notch medical facility. I know many people from the Newport/Portsmouth/Bristol area who had babies there. In fact, we're the only family in Bristol I know that delivered in Newport (twice).

Newport is a lovely, small hospital. It has everything you need for a normal pregnancy. The childbirth wing is lovely. The parking is great, there are nice cafes dad can walk to, I would order in dinner delivered to the hospital from a local restaurant and share it with my wife. For the first child, I slept in the room the whole week. There are normally only 6-7 moms there. It is super family friendly. I had a chance to use their ER while my wife was in labor (don't ask) and it was nice too. If you're going to deliver there, they give you the nurse's station number so you can talk to them about any medical concerns -- we stayed at home and slept in our bed another night after being reassured 3 or 4 times that while labor had started there was no point coming in until it progressed further.

W&I is a big hospital with many more doctors, floors, departments, etc. Moms I knew would often find it took several hours to be seen and they'd get swapped around between different specialties, docs, etc. Never did I hear of poor care, just a much larger, much more complex environment. I have also heard some anecdotes of more aggressive treatment. It's an academic hospital that can handle the most risky and complex births and has a very high volume of normal births, for better and for worse.

I know no RI person who has given birth in Fall River. It is uncommon for RI people (perhaps excluding tiverton/little Compton) to use the fall river hospitals. I once was taking a state health care survey and the surveyor was shocked when I mentioned one -- they almost never heard it suggested -- although its far closer to me than South County.

We were very happy with Triste Coulombe over the 6+ years we worked with her, including her professionalism and handling of an emergency c-section. Your mileage may vary. I would ensure you're extremely aware of who will actually deliver your baby if you use one of the Providence OB/GYN practices that feed into W&I. It's much more straightforward at Newport.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:01 AM

171 posts, read 290,222 times
Memorial Hospital in Pawtucket also does births.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island