Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,861 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in High School and I'm going to be graduating not too far into the future. I've looked around at a lot of options and I'm considering moving to Rhode Island. I've spent a lot of time in Newport and Providence and typically enjoy the environment. My question is: Where should I go?

I'll be just out of high school and working minimum wage with probably a few thousand saved up. (Eventually going to be getting my Bartender's license).

I'm one person so I'd be good with a studio apartment or a one bedroom. The rent would need to be relatively cheap though.

And lastly, I'm single and would like to have a good nightlife- so what would be a place where you could have one under the age of 21?

I've lived in Downstate New York, South Florida, and am at the moment living in Vermont.

Any insight would be appreciated. Are there places in Rhode Island or should I be looking into a whole other state completely? Please no snide remarks, I just really would like some advice from people in the area.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Here's some friendly advice. Get an education first. If it's a bartender you want to be, then get that license and then have at least a year's worth of experience. Otherwise, your chances of finding sometime to hire you will be extremely minimal. Food service jobs in RI are very competitive because of many culinary school graduates in the area.

Unless you have a co-signer and verified wages, your chances of renting an apartment will be slim under the age of 21.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,472 times
Oh hollytree, we needn't be so tough. In general food service jobs are pretty easy to land with a little savvy. My neighbor, above me, works from 6 to 9 or 10pm as a bartender, say 5 nights a week, we live on the East Side on one of the nicest streets (very affordable rent btw, more or less). I don't know how he does it but he does; granted he isn't supporting a family, but has a nice social life) -not too bad anyway. For the food industry, I say Newport, you can rake in the cash as a bartender in that town, and its a great place to live except during July and August when its overrun by Boston suburbanites and everyone else. Providence has a more urban, arty vibe if you're into that. Newport is more ocean tourist, sailing vibe, but not without some cool places and people too.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltatrix View Post
Oh hollytree, we needn't be so tough. In general food service jobs are pretty easy to land with a little savvy. My neighbor, above me, works from 6 to 9 or 10pm as a bartender, say 5 nights a week, we live on the East Side on one of the nicest streets (very affordable rent btw, more or less). I don't know how he does it but he does; granted he isn't supporting a family, but has a nice social life) -not too bad anyway. For the food industry, I say Newport, you can rake in the cash as a bartender in that town, and its a great place to live except during July and August when its overrun by Boston suburbanites and everyone else. Providence has a more urban, arty vibe if you're into that. Newport is more ocean tourist, sailing vibe, but not without some cool places and people too.

Thank you very much! Do you think there is a large difference in crime rates between the two? I mean, I'm taking into account the differences of environment and I've lived in the city before so I get the whole you can make it safer as long as your smart about it thing. Just overall?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Although the legal age in RI to bartend is 18, most establishments - especially those with high volume prefer bartenders to be 21 or over.

The legal drinking age is 21 in RI.

You should also be TIPS certified.

You'd never survive the off season in Newport.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Although the legal age in RI to bartend is 18, most establishments - especially those with high volume prefer bartenders to be 21 or over.

The legal drinking age is 21 in RI.

You should also be TIPS certified.

You'd never survive the off season in Newport.
You'll need EXPERIENCE and lots of it and connections to get a bartending job in Newport. Everyone wants to tend bar in Newport.

You remind me of myself when I was your age but I had a college education from a nationally recognized university and had gone to bartending school as well. I had visions of working outside at the Black Pearl before buckling down and getting a serious career. I was naive enough to think they'd hire me just because I'd have a certificate from the International Beverage Training Institute and be able to make x number of drinks in a few minutes and be able to make 75 different cocktails or whatever it was, lol.

After pounding the pavements and looking for jobs I quickly came to the realization that with no experience I'd be lucky to get ANY sort of bartending work. I did find work at the Viking Hotel and then at a place in Washington Square which ended up closing at which time I got a job in outside sales selling advertsing which was much more stimulating and I haven't tended bar since.

If you have your heart set on bartending in Newport, make sure you get a job first before you move to RI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island