Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2010, 10:57 AM

11 posts, read 26,001 times

Advertisements

We're a couple in our 20s and have been looking for rental units in Providence for some time now. We would really appreciate some help. We've visited a couple of pretty nice units in Blackstone/Wayland. Now we've come across apartment communities in Downtown Providence - such as the 903, Regency etc. which look really modern and nice as well. Are these good locations? Safety is the most important issue for us and since we're not local, we don't really know what would work best.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM

688 posts, read 2,134,986 times
I don't think safety is too much of a concern at the places and areas you mentioned. It somewhat depends on what you want from the place you're looking to rent. Do you want it to be in a funky part of town with lots of college students and small shops? Go East Side then. Do you want it to be closer to the Providence Place Mall, Train Station and clubs and theater? Go with places like the 903.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,734 times
I gotta say that if you're concerned, you may not care for the area where the 903 is. It's on "the other side" of the mall at the bottom of the Valley neighborhood. It's a lot of mills (converted and not yet), a fairly hip neighb, but not posh. I'd rate it as gritty. It's a very quick walk on a fairly ugly piece of street to get up under the highway and the mall and BANG, you're downtown. Google street view it.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 AM

66 posts, read 220,801 times
I agree with Frymaster and I believe I'd add only that it all comes down to if you like being outside.

The 903 and The Promenade are modern, relatively pleasant buildings on the inside. Modern, clean, and I think that they have gyms, pools, and the 903 has (or had) a movie theatre. When the Promenade opened I believe there was some sort of outdoor, enclosed Zen garden in it. The Promenade is a Victorian-era converted mill building. The 903 was constructed as an apartment/condo community.

But the walk from there, though quick, is somewhat creepy and there isn't anything directly around it. It's just a bunch of big weird buildings and you are basically walking under a series of highway overpasses and the superstructure for the mall parking garage as well as a weird dead zone where they recently demolished the former produce market.

However, on the other side of the mall and highway are Waterplace and Avalon at Center Place - much more pleasantly situated.

Regency Plaza isn't quite as oddly located as the Promenade and the 903 but it does seem to be a little overpriced for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island