Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times

Advertisements

Collectively, there is probably a larger concentration of Italians here based on the total population than probably any where else in the country. Providence is known as a city of restaurants, Atwells Ave alone, has one after another for many blocks, a very large percentage are upscale, almost anywhere in the Providence metro area are numerous really good ones. There are so many restaurants and bakeries, it's really amazing they all stay in business and don't cannibalize each other. I may pick on RI a lot, but one thing we do have, is exceptional restaurants. If restaurants are your weakness, it would be very easy to go broke here if dining out is your thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 01:33 PM

4,393 posts, read 3,195,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I agree entirely. That was one of the first things I noticed when I moved here. I think it has somewhat to do with the stationary population and how certain ethnic enclaves have taken root and survived as recognizable entities.
I think it has less to do with us being stationary and more to do with being recent immigrants. If you live in Kansas, maybe you trace your family back to a settler who moved west in the early 1800s. If you live in RI you are probably descended from someone who immigrated to this country between 1900 and 1950. Our population exploded in the early part of the last century, and that wave of immigration made us the majority Catholic state that we are today. Most people don't have to look back farther than a grandfather or great grandfather to find an immigrant.

Not too many people stepping off the boat in Oklahoma, ya know?

Old 04-14-2013, 03:50 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsonik View Post
I think it has less to do with us being stationary and more to do with being recent immigrants. If you live in Kansas, maybe you trace your family back to a settler who moved west in the early 1800s. If you live in RI you are probably descended from someone who immigrated to this country between 1900 and 1950. Our population exploded in the early part of the last century, and that wave of immigration made us the majority Catholic state that we are today. Most people don't have to look back farther than a grandfather or great grandfather to find an immigrant.

Not too many people stepping off the boat in Oklahoma, ya know?
I'm sure what you're saying is true, but we also have a large English-ancestral based population. I believe it makes up the fourth largest demographic group. Some of the farmers in South County can trace their lineage back all the way to the original colonists. So there's definitely at least a set of variables when it comes to explaining the array of prominent heritages in our state.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:09 PM

583 posts, read 1,324,680 times
Back in the early 90's I lived in Nebraska for four years and met people from all over the world, and many other states especially, with the exception of New England. There was also a big Mexican population, and in general you rubbed shoulders with a lot of different kinds of people you never would here in RI.

In addition to the Catholic church, people have generations of family here, there were jobs in manufacturing, there wasn't as much reason to leave and travel far, hence a parochial mindset. Whereas out West the mentality was to seek new opportunities, distances were greater, people relied on strangers instead of family and were more trusting and friendly. And yes there was something to be said for Midwestern Protestant values, he he, although there were a lot of racists too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island