U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:19 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,746,621 times

Advertisements

Is there still a large Italian-American community in R.I? Is it centered in Providence or somewhere else? Are there authentic Italian bakeries, pizzerias and restaurants? Can I get a cannoli in R.I. without it tasting like cardboard stuffed with icing?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:49 AM

774 posts, read 2,170,233 times
Yes, there is still a very large Italian-american presence in R.I.
There are still great Italian restaurants and stores on Federal Hill in Providence.
The community around Federal Hill has changed a lot over the years and definitely not for the better.
I think a lot of Italian americans have moved to suburbs like Johnston and Cranston. (like most other ethnic groups have done).
Mikey

Old 07-25-2007, 06:53 PM

57 posts, read 368,050 times
johnson and lincoln have been popular moves for italians

infact according to the US census has more italians than any other pace in america % wise and RI has more italians than any other state

they are doing up atwell street which is federill hill and trying to make it like it was in it's past glory

hope this helps

Old 07-26-2007, 07:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,772,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manc View Post
johnson and lincoln have been popular moves for italians

infact according to the US census has more italians than any other pace in america % wise and RI has more italians than any other state

they are doing up atwell street which is federill hill and trying to make it like it was in it's past glory

hope this helps
atwells ave past glory wasn't made up of high priced restaurants, hotels and soon to have high priced condos. Its past glory was that it was the Italian hood. it was lined with mom and pop stores; hardware stores, cleansers, small markets, 5 and 10's, etc., that made a neighborhood. small restaurants did exist like Caserta's, Lucille's, and Angelo's that were mainly pizza joints. Camille's and the Old Canteen didn't come until the 50's. Now it is a tourist destination for some of the best Italian food in the U.S.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 42,536 times
Rhode Island has many Italian communities. For the best authentic restaurants and bakeries try Federal Hill. Cranston, RI has a very large Italian community especially Knightsville (Cranston, RI) which has many bakeries and restaurants similar to Federal hill. Johnston and North Providence are probably the most Italian towns in the state. Johnston is the 2nd most italian town in the country.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 PM

630 posts, read 1,791,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Is there still a large Italian-American community in R.I? Is it centered in Providence or somewhere else? Are there authentic Italian bakeries, pizzerias and restaurants? Can I get a cannoli in R.I. without it tasting like cardboard stuffed with icing?
As for authentic Italian food,Trattoria San Vivaldo on Providence Street in West Warwick will blow your socks off,no atmosphere, 8 tables,owned by the head chef of an Italian liner who retired and came to the states,menu is what he has fresh,and please,don't ask for meatballs or grated cheese,it just gets him mad!Braised Pork is to die for!BTW does your name have anything to do with horse racing?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 15,058 times
You will not have a problem finding good Italian food in Providence. I moved to Atlanta and I miss Italian food.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,862,611 times
Default Italian Community in RI

If you like Italian food then RI is the place for you. There is no better Italian cuisine anywhere outside of Rome. Federal Hill in Providence still has some of the best and this is still a predominantly Italian community, but in the last few years most Italians have moved to the burbs...Cranston, Johnston, North Providence and Lincoln primarily.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 9,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTutt View Post
You will not have a problem finding good Italian food in Providence. I moved to Atlanta and I miss Italian food.
I, too, am a former Rhode Islander now living in Atlanta. I have been down here 9 years and still miss all the great restaurants RI has had to offer, especially the Italian ones. I don't get back home much, but when I do, I always try to get to Marchetti's and, of
course, Gregg's for the desserts. Desserts down here just do not message up to them. David D.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:18 PM

257 posts, read 1,281,361 times
Antonio's on Cranston Street in Cranston is my favorite Italian restaurant. And yes, RI is very much still Italian. Cranston has some of the best Italian bakeries in New England (Solitro's) as does Federal Hill. Nothing beats Scialo Bros. cannoli's IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>