Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 03:42 PM

21 posts, read 56,679 times

Advertisements

Divorced woman with no kids but pets wants to relocate to New England. I want to live in a larger city near the mountains. The cold weather doesn't scare me, I love it. I will need to find a job and an apartment. The big problem is that I don't have much money to get started. Where should I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 10:19 PM

36 posts, read 202,121 times
Default near mountains

I have not lived in RI for that all that long in comparison to most people but I think you will have a hard time finding a larger city near mountains. I live in E. Providence and that tallest point in RI is the Johnston landfill. Go figure. there are a lot of amazing places in New England but not a lot of great larger cities. Providence is on the rise. Portland ME is awesome. Boston is great if you can afford it. Worcester is okay at best. New Bedford MA, Fall River MA, Springfield MA, Hartford CT, and New Haven, CT aren't so good in my honest opinion. good luck

m

Old 07-23-2007, 05:54 AM

I appreciate your help, beautyprevails. I need all the advice I can get.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:43 AM

195 posts, read 231,093 times
The White Mountains in New Hampshire are absolutely beautiful. They were my favorite place to get away to when I lived in New England. If you ski, it's a perfect place for it and any other winter sports. The wildlife is beautiful: deer, moose, black bears. In the summer there are pristine rivers to swim in. Jackson Falls, NH has waterfalls where you can swim in beautiful crystal clear water. There are hiking trails all over the place too. I don't think an apt. would be terribly expensive, and perhaps you could get work at one of the resorts or inns there. Leaf season and ski season are upcoming and they get tons of visitors from all over the country. The peak season for tourism is fall and winter, but it's still busy in summer when people get away to beat the heat. I don't know of a large city near the White Mountains. Boston, Portland and Montreal are within a couple hours drive, though. Good luck!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:10 AM

213 posts, read 936,684 times
I am glad this thread was started. I want to live near Providence and the water. I understand that living near the water is more costly. I need an affordable place that is not in a "gritty" part of town but is close to at least a village. I want to be able to walk to a coffee house and a deli, etc. I am looking for "community", if you know what I mean. Can't seem to find that where I live now.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:13 AM

36 posts, read 202,121 times
Default near water

Bristol and Warren RI are great little villages. Shopping, coffee shops, cafes, etc. There can be somewhat affordable housing there, but it depends on your idea of affordable. Barrington is nice too, but kind of expensive. All of these towns have great community feels. Yes, the White Mountains are awesome, but not near a "city". Personally, I love Providence. It is still on the way up in my honest opinion, but I know everyone is different. The best thing to do is research on what you want and need and then go from there. Like I said before, Boston, Providence, Portland are all good cities to live in. Boston is the most expensive and for probably good reason. Good luck. Make sure you don't take my word, or anyone elses, but look for yourself and make sure you gather as much information and visit the places you are interested in. Have fun

matt

Old 07-24-2007, 10:51 AM

Thanks a lot for all your help everyone.
merrybelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island