Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM

5,025 posts, read 6,089,254 times

Advertisements

Sorry things did not work out, but glad you got a small taste of RI.

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 AM

688 posts, read 2,133,107 times
Bah. Godspeed, man. Best of luck.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,506,118 times
Sure would be nice if Citizens would reimburse TiGator at least half of his $3,000 expenses for them to "test" him. For a man out of work with a wife and children, that is a large expense for just a few weeks. We wish him well.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,993,725 times
On that, Quilterchick, we wholeheartedly agree.

Sorry it didn't work out TI, esp. since you seemed to love it up here. It was great reading your posts.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:26 PM

23,399 posts, read 18,569,279 times
Sorry it didn't work for you. I'm sure it's their loss too! Wasn't going to open my mouth earlier but i've never been impressed with them as a bank and stopped doing business with them over 10 years ago.

Glad you enjoyed your time here and please do come back to visit us! I certainly hope to get down south for a few days soon, I've had enough of this crap they call seasons.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM

212 posts, read 414,772 times
Just got to a Holiday Inn in Lumberton, North Carolina, about 20 mile north of South Carolina.
Am I ever beat! Been driving over 12 hours today. But as of now I"m roughly 6 hours from my home in Florida. Gonna be back on the road around 8 so I can get home at a decent hour tomorrow afternoon.

I heard the same grips about that bank from one of the local Harley Davidson dealership owners up there last Saturday. I just didn't expect them to pull this B.S. on me so fast. I barely got my feet wet there

4 of the 7 people working for me obviously had never really had a Manager who was willing to help them better themselves. In fact they took offense to me when I did as MY boss instructed me to do on my first day on the job, when I was told to work with everyone to get them all up to speed on basic job functions and cross training. Then they complained to my boss - never having talked it over with me first so I could address their concerns with them - said I was being rude and mean to them!!! Then my boss decided I wasn't the right FIT for them and couldn't understand WHY I had DARED do what I did?! Does this confuse you as much as it does me? Give me a break! I liked the job all in all, but I'm actually glad it's behind me now. Now I need to just focus on getting home and settled and looking after the best interests of my family.

I really liked what I had experienced up there. Maybe one day we'll all be able to get up there and be tourists, but right now seeing it in my rear view mirror is probably for the best for now.

Now I have to find that $3K somehow - my bills I put on hold to finance that little trip up there are now due. And the money I was counting on from the job to PAY those bills now no longer exists. I know this is not any of your concerns but at least getting to VENT about all this is helping. Sorta.

Again, thanks for all your help and advice. I really did put a lot of it to use.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 AM

1,549 posts, read 3,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiGator View Post
Just got to a Holiday Inn in Lumberton, North Carolina, about 20 mile north of South Carolina.
Am I ever beat! Been driving over 12 hours today. But as of now I"m roughly 6 hours from my home in Florida. Gonna be back on the road around 8 so I can get home at a decent hour tomorrow afternoon.

I heard the same grips about that bank from one of the local Harley Davidson dealership owners up there last Saturday. I just didn't expect them to pull this B.S. on me so fast. I barely got my feet wet there

4 of the 7 people working for me obviously had never really had a Manager who was willing to help them better themselves. In fact they took offense to me when I did as MY boss instructed me to do on my first day on the job, when I was told to work with everyone to get them all up to speed on basic job functions and cross training. Then they complained to my boss - never having talked it over with me first so I could address their concerns with them - said I was being rude and mean to them!!! Then my boss decided I wasn't the right FIT for them and couldn't understand WHY I had DARED do what I did?! Does this confuse you as much as it does me? Give me a break! I liked the job all in all, but I'm actually glad it's behind me now. Now I need to just focus on getting home and settled and looking after the best interests of my family.

I really liked what I had experienced up there. Maybe one day we'll all be able to get up there and be tourists, but right now seeing it in my rear view mirror is probably for the best for now.

Now I have to find that $3K somehow - my bills I put on hold to finance that little trip up there are now due. And the money I was counting on from the job to PAY those bills now no longer exists. I know this is not any of your concerns but at least getting to VENT about all this is helping. Sorta.

Again, thanks for all your help and advice. I really did put a lot of it to use.
sorry to hear of the lossed opportunity. Their loss. Now you can impress your fellow Floridians with your new snow driving skills. Check with a good accountant. Because it is still before the final tax filing date you may be able to deduct the expenses fror this escapade for the 2010 tax filing. At least the expected total 2500 miles worth of drivng should bring you a good expense report, not including lodgings, food, etc. Somehow you need to make lemonade out of this lemon experience. Good Luck

Mark

Old 03-13-2011, 11:46 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,506,118 times
Good points Mark. Let's hope for TiGator's sake that, just maybe, Citizens has a modicum of conscience. But I doubt it. They did not have to elaborate on reasons for letting him go; they could have simply used discretion and just said it wasn't working out and they would reimburse at least half of the expenses. RI is an employment at will state; they don't need a reason for terminating someone. But two weeks! ......that is not even enough time for most offices to remember your name, sounds like maybe they didn't give him an honest chance. Maybe someone's uncle, brother, sister, mother ..... wanted the job. You know how "connections" are in RI. Or the office politics were kicking in big time. (I'll vote with the latter.)

Old 03-13-2011, 03:00 PM

212 posts, read 414,772 times
Made it back to home base about 2 hours ago. Got my truck unpacked and about 90% of it put away.
Not a bad trip overall, just a lot of driving over 2 days.

Folks, I accept the majority of the blame for what happened since I wasn't able to read their minds ahead of time. However, I've learned from this and am moving on.

Regarding taxes, I'll try to use these expenses for next year, since I already filed 2010's and got a refund. In fact that refund is what I've been living off of since getting up there. Definitely plan to get SOMETHING out of this entire fiasco regarding job expenses. Thanks for the idea.

The snow driving skills, hmmm...good point! LOL !

As for the reasons and their actions, it is what it is. I'll figure something out. Can't sit and worry about that mess and let it bring me down. Gonna get back out there tomorrow and start looking again. Hopefully this time it won't take me 6 weeks to find something.

Once again thank you all for your help and opinions on all of this. One good thing out of this -- when I got home I was able to start my Harley! It had been sitting untouched for over 2 weeks. Might just go out riding later in my short pants and t-shirt in this 70*+ weather we're having down here right now.

Best wishes everyone.

Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 PM

15 posts, read 44,287 times
Good luck. I enjoyed vicariously living your adventure. I grew up in Coventry and left when I went into the military in 1979...got back to visit, but my retirement employment has left me near Roanoke, Va (for now). Hope to get back there someday for good (preferably while I am alive to really enjoy it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island