Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:05 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,408 times

Advertisements

Rhode Islanders seem to think we are the most corrupt state, but we simply aren't. We're just the smallest. There have been a myriad of studies that rank Rhode Island as mediocre on corruption. Here is the latest one, with RI ranking 27th in corruption:

The Most Corrupt States - Galleries - The Daily Beast

I seriously give up on the gloomy gus Conservatives on this messageboard. What happened to your Reaganesque optimism? These days it seems to have rubbed off more on Democrats.

I notice no one bothered to post the article from Wednesday's Projo on the study that declared Providence is the third nicest city for commuters in the country. It's like you all have a "positive filter". Only the negative stuff (most of it untrue or exaggerated) sinks in!

Providence commute ranks third in ease | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Seriously though, don't change conservatives! You're like the modern day Eyores of our time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Nice post RNR. Too bad we have so many niggling naysayers who can't say anything constructive.

As far as Providence is concerned, and what happens here, as they say, "so goes the state" since it is the one major urban area- I am optimistic about Tavaras and Gina Raimundo. They seem to be doing good reform work so far.
And the Feds have stepped in on a lot of the corruption. That's encouraging as well.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
LOL Wow, I've never seen someone so vehemently defend high taxes. You must either be so well off you don't feel it, or have such a low income that you benefit. The middle class are getting killed in NJ/NY/CT while the super rich and entitlement crowd coexist in a servant master relationship like nothing ever happened.

I was actually considering snooping around Westerly as the property taxes are about half of CT's and you don't tax vehicles, but with attitudes like this, it won't be long before you are in our shoes.

Best of luck...you're going to need it.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:45 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
Rhode Islanders seem to think we are the most corrupt state, but we simply aren't. We're just the smallest. There have been a myriad of studies that rank Rhode Island as mediocre on corruption. Here is the latest one, with RI ranking 27th in corruption:

The Most Corrupt States - Galleries - The Daily Beast

The articles in "The Daily Beast" focused on corrupt individuals and businesses in the states they list. If you can read for comprehension and fact, my post is about RI HAS MORE CROOKED POLITICIANS per square mile. Not more crooked individuals per se.

And the Daily Beast is not exactly a formidable news source.

I seriously give up on the gloomy gus Conservatives on this messageboard. What happened to your Reaganesque optimism? These days it seems to have rubbed off more on Democrats.

I notice no one bothered to post the article from Wednesday's Projo on the study that declared Providence is the third nicest city for commuters in the country. It's like you all have a "positive filter". Only the negative stuff (most of it untrue or exaggerated) sinks in!

Providence commute ranks third in ease | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

RI is a very small state, and yes, they have improved the I95 and I195 exits and entrances, but it took them NINE YEARS to complete and a terrible mess in between. Everyone is thankful it's done. RI also has a reputation of building or repairing roads, and then 2 years later tearing them up again to line the pockets of POLITICIANS and their glad handing friends. I don't have time to repeat all the news about guilty politicians in the small Town of North Providence.

Seriously though, don't change conservatives! You're like the modern day Eyores of our time.
I never said I didn't LIKE Rhode Island, I do; it's a neat little state with plenty of ocean beaches and lovely residential areas. What I do naysay about is the truth; high taxes, politicians who have their hands in the pockets of residents all day long. Geesh, read about the City of Providence ... about to go bankrupt. If you all want to stay in denial, that's fine, deep down you know the truth. The fact is that until the taxpayers of RI, regardless of party affiliation, wake up and vote with their pocketbook, nothing will change.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL Wow, I've never seen someone so vehemently defend high taxes. You must either be so well off you don't feel it, or have such a low income that you benefit. The middle class are getting killed in NJ/NY/CT while the super rich and entitlement crowd coexist in a servant master relationship like nothing ever happened.

I was actually considering snooping around Westerly as the property taxes are about half of CT's and you don't tax vehicles, but with attitudes like this, it won't be long before you are in our shoes.

Best of luck...you're going to need it.
I don't know who you're addressing, but I think everyone agrees that Property Taxes in this state are too high. Ironically, our current Governor was the only candidate with a proposal to resolve this situation, but is hated by the anti-tax crowd. Go figure.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I never said I didn't LIKE Rhode Island, I do; it's a neat little state with plenty of ocean beaches and lovely residential areas. What I do naysay about is the truth; high taxes, politicians who have their hands in the pockets of residents all day long. Geesh, read about the City of Providence ... about to go bankrupt. If you all want to stay in denial, that's fine, deep down you know the truth. The fact is that until the taxpayers of RI, regardless of party affiliation, wake up and vote with their pocketbook, nothing will change.
Quilter, this is happening all over the country. Do you look at the national news? It's not just Rhode Island! What part of that do you not understand?

And clearly you did not read the study. The state at the top of the list was Tennessee and it had to do with their government. Judging the Daily Beast as "not formidable" is a laugh as well since most Rhody naysayers get their news from FOX and WPRO. The Daily Beast may not be CNN but they do not have a left/right agenda, so there's no need to fix the numbers. The top states were both red and blue states.

Besides, as I said, there are multiple studies out there showing that Rhode Island is not as sensationally corrupt as many (conservative) folks seem to believe. I could list them all day long but you and I both know it wouldn't change your mind one iota.

I don't like the corruption in our state any more than you do; believe me. The point I am trying to get across is we are not exceptional. The freakin' Governor of Florida (where I'm originally from and I still have family there) is a complete crook! During the campaign down there the State Police were evn in his opponnent's ads urging voters not to elect him because of his criminality. No matter how much (and how irrationally) you hate Chafee - you can't say the same for him!

So stop acting as if Rhode Island is so much worse than everywhere else.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
I don't know who you're addressing, but I think everyone agrees that Property Taxes in this state are too high. Ironically, our current Governor was the only candidate with a proposal to resolve this situation, but is hated by the anti-tax crowd. Go figure.
I'm addressing those who would look aside from the reality that government has become too intrusive, bloated and unsustainable while demonizing those who wish for small more accountable government.

I don't know the specifics about your state enought to comment in detail, so I'll just go on basic principles for now such as reducing the size of government is not a bad thing if you have a tax problem.

I'll use CT as an example since it's what I know.

Population growth the last 20 years: 2% at best
Net job growth in 20 years: 0%
State budget increase in 20 years: 250%

If that's not out of wack, I don't know what is. So if I'm a raving right wing lunatic for seeing that and saying "NO MORE" so be it.

BTW if you think your property taxes in RI are bad, sneak across the border to CT for a minute. $6000.00 a year on a 60 year old 1500sf ranch home worth 200K is pretty rediculous. Then add on another $1200.00 for the vehicles.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm addressing those who would look aside from the reality that government has become too intrusive, bloated and unsustainable while demonizing those who wish for small more accountable government.

I don't know the specifics about your state enought to comment in detail, so I'll just go on basic principles for now such as reducing the size of government is not a bad thing if you have a tax problem.

If that's not out of wack, I don't know what is. So if I'm a raving right wing lunatic for seeing that and saying "NO MORE" so be it.
I don't see a necessary correlation between the size of government and the tier of property taxes. You can keep the same size government and still lower property taxes. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Politics is not black and white and it is seldomly what many folks tend to believe I've found. Conservatives tend to grow government quite a bit, particularly when it comes to Defense spending, and the stock market has always done better under Democratic Presidents. I just find a lot of people tend to make general broad based assumptions instead of just objectively looking at the complicated facts. Maybe because it's easier? I don't know...

I certainly don't think you're a "lunatic" though. You have a legitimate gripe, we just may not agree on the solutions is all.

"BTW if you think your property taxes in RI are bad, sneak across the border to CT for a minute. $6000.00 a year on a 60 year old 1500sf ranch home worth 200K is pretty rediculous. Then add on another $1200.00 for the vehicles."

Please inform our Rhode Island conservative friends of this. They need to understand that the country is hurting and in very bad shape all over. They seem to think we are ten times worse than everywhere else.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:45 PM

564 posts, read 1,879,772 times
Funny, my sisters property taxes in an adjoining town over the border in CT are considerably less than mine for a bigger house and lot. The particular town or taxing authority has a lot to do with the ad valorum rates on homes/land, of course.

Rhode Islands issues are magnified by our small size. Objects may appear larger than they actually are...as in the commute. Most people here grumble about the commute, but how many of them have actually commuted into any other urban area? NYC, Boston, Chicago, Wilmington, Winston-Salem, Orlando, etc.... Truly perspective is lacking for a proper assessment. It may suck, but compared to other areas it may suck less...LOL..... I actually don't find it that bad, and I do not care for cities at all, even a little town like Providence. And I do have ground time in the above mentioned places, as well as many others.

I believe that the biggest issue in Rhode Island is perspective.... then high taxes, rampant contructions, and a sucky commute! ;-)

Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello

where did you get those numbers?

according to wikipedia CT grew atleast 10% over the last 20 years

also job growth is going to look bad now, we're in a nationwide recession

can you give more information on the state budget? because if it's looking at fixed dollar amounts it's not giving the correct figure, because income and state GDP grew a tremendous amount as well over the last 20 years. I mean the average wage in the 1980s was about 17-18k, now its over double that. seems like state budget is moving on par with general growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island