Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,443 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to Providence from St. Louis because my BF accepted a job at Brown Uni. Working at Rhode Island Hospital. I am a nurse and we are both 30 with no children. I have started to look for jobs and places to live and feel completely lost. As a nurse, which hospital is the best to work at? What neighborhoods are close to RIH? I'm coming to Providence to check things out in April...is there a company I could work with to help me find a place? Any help is GREATLY appreciated and thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
You might look at Edgewood in Cranston. It's close to RI hospital.
Look at RILiving.com- select Cranston

Jobs for nurses are harder to get nowadays. It used to be you could work anywhere. I think Lifespan (google it) controls a lot of the jobs.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:55 AM

257 posts, read 1,335,447 times
I have heard from a few nurse friends that Miriam Hospital is the best. They are owned by Lifespan, which also owns Hasbro Childrens and Rhode Island Hospital. I guess it depends on your specialty. If it is pediatrics, then Hasbro would obviously be a good choice.

The neighborhoods directly around RIH and Hasbro are a little run-down and high crime. The neighborhood around Miriam is really nice (known as the Summit neighborhood). Summit is on the East Side of the city which has a few distinct neighborhoods that are all pretty nice depending on your preferences. Wayland Square is nice and close to some shops, etc. Summit also has a little main street (Hope St) of shops and restaurants. I would avoid the area directly around Brown University (particularly Thayer St) as it is noisy and full of college rentals.

Other nice hoods pretty close to RIH are Federal Hill and the Broadway neighborhood. Both are more dense and have lots of restaurants, etc.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:20 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
As a former RIer and a nurse for over 30 years, I hope I can provide you with some information. Lifespan, which includes RI Hospital, The Miriam Hospital, Newport Hospital and Bradley Hospital is the largest employer in RI.
RIH - In S. Providence. large tertiary teaching hospital (affiliated with Brown Med school). About 700 beds. Level I trauma center. Also includes Hasbro Children's Hospital, a good sized acute care pediatrics facility.
Miriam - East Side of Prov. near Brown. 250 bed teaching hospital. Adult, acute care. Formerly known for it's open heart program, 3-4 cath labs, several specialty ICUs. Also has excellent Oncology program. I've heard from friends that the heart program is being moved to RIH. Designated ANCC Magent Hospital.
Newport Hospital - Small community hospital in Newport. Also designated ANCC Magnet hospital. Very good facility.
Bradley Hopital - Children's psychiatric facility.

Other RI Hospitals:
Roger Williams Medical Center - in Providence's north end. Approx. 200 bed facility. Used to be known for it's oncology program but not anymore since losing it's Cancer Center status a few year back.
St. Joseph's Health System - includes St Joseph's Hospital in North Providence. Smaller community hospital. Not stellar IMHO. Also includes St. Joseph's clinics, rehab hospital/inpatient psych in S. Prov.
Care New England - A smaller collaboration of facilities includes:
Kent County Memorial Hospital - 450 bed community hospital in Warwick.
Woman and Infants - large teaching facility for OB/GYN/Neonatology/GYN Oncology. Attached to RIH in S. Prov. and formerly affiliated with RIH. Excellent.
Butler Hospital - teaching psychiatric hospital also affilitated with Brown.
VAMC in Providence - VA hospital. Affiliated with Brown's teaching program.

Other RIH hospitals: South County Hospital in Wakefield. Small community hospital. Excellent.
Pawtucket Memorial in Pawtucket. Smaller teaching hospital, primarily for Family Practice Residents from Brown. Woonsocket Hospital - small community hospital in northern RI.

Not sure if I've omitted any...it's early and I just woke up!
I'm an NP and had affiliations at several of the above. My top choices for employment as an RN would be Miriam, RIH, VAMC, South County and Newport.
Hope this helps!

Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,820 times
As other posters have said, Miriam and RIH are probably best, though you could also work at Pawtucket Memorial or Kent County (both of which are fine). The beauty of Greater Providence is that it's small relative to a large metro area like St. Louis. So, you wouldn't be too far from work if you lived anywhere within the 295 belt. You could also look at Sturdy Memorial in Attleboro (which is right next to Pawtucket - oddly, all MA options seem to have been eliminated from prior posts).

If you do get a job at Roger Williams, RIH or Miriam (or Kent County, for that matter), Edgewood - as Hollytree said - would be a great place to live. Pawtuxet (not to be confused with Pawtucket) is also very nice. It's adjacent to Edgewood, straddling Warwick and Cranston. Good luck with your search. Summer is coming, and I can't think of a better place to be than southern New England in the summertime - buy some sunscreen for the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island