Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,454 times

Advertisements

[quote=gamsauer;1138960]Hello,

Here is a list of all the zip codes in RI. Can someone let me know which ones they know I should stay away from when looking for housing. Thanks!!!

Try Apartments for Rent and Homes for Rent for various housing that might appeal to you. Also, you can call the police departments in any of the areas of RI and ask what their crime rates are e.g. burglarly, theft, assault, murder, etc.

I can tell you that the one area of Providence you do not want to be in is Broad Street and Prairie Avenue any of that area is usually considered bad but as for the zip code there, I am unsure, may be more than one.

I live in the 02893 zip code (West Warwick, RI) and I didn't think much about this place until recently doing a Community Assessment for my community nursing class and learned that this place is loaded with history which is pretty good considering West Warwick is the youngest city in the state of RI, being incorporated in 1913 when there was a split of Warwick due to political struggles and now there is Warwick and West Warwick, sometimes only across the street from each other!

Terri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 10:06 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamsauer View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input. I am originally from up-state NY but moved to Raleigh, NC 13 years ago. I have visited RI many times, most recently the beginning part of July. I have had my fill of southern living. Need to get back north where I belong.
If you have kids, don't expect the schools here in any zip code to be as good as they are in Raleigh, NC. In many ways, you will find Rhode Island much more backwards than Raleigh and the cost of living is much higher here. Health insurance is much more widely available and affordable in North Carolina than it is here so just be forewarned. In fact if you aren't getting it from an employer, there is only one carrier offerring individual and family plans and there are only 4 plans to choose from. (But NY, NJ, ME, VT and MA are also terrible for health insurance) Other than that, RI is great!

Old 09-30-2007, 05:32 PM

1,549 posts, read 3,055,664 times
One great part of Rhode Ilsand is the Tempoary Disability Insurance(TDI) you receive. This fund, which you pay for at a very small tax rate, allows you to continue with income if you have a long term illness or injury off the job. It pays about 70% of your income on a non taxable basis. TDI is payed for by all workers, except state, town or city employees. It is in lieu of sick leave benifits that an employer might provide.

Mark

Old 10-26-2009, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,099 times
I like to think of Cranston as the New Jersey of RI, everything there sucks, it's reall only a city without the good parts and attractions. Come to Smithfield if you want to find a great school system but without the snobs that South County tends to have.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:15 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
It's true, everything sucks in Cranston. 25th safest city in the US, Western Rural areas oly a 15 minute drive from Providence, great Italian restaraunts, oh and there's this:

Second life for Park Cinema | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal

Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyplayer1114 View Post
I like to think of Cranston as the New Jersey of RI, everything there sucks, it's reall only a city without the good parts and attractions. Come to Smithfield if you want to find a great school system but without the snobs that South County tends to have.
Wow, with an attitude like this, it's a wonder you even want to remain on this planet.

Other than high taxes, NJ is a wonderful place to live; as is South County. I have nothing against Smithfield, but if you're representative, then maybe I need to rethink. In fact, the only snob I see around here is not the people in NJ or South County.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,557 times

Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damienfurtado View Post
Damien, you've replied to a 2009 post.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times
Going by zip code is probably not a good way of looking at it. There are generally good parts and bad parts to every zip code.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:03 PM

156 posts, read 438,949 times
Ha, ya, considering I live in the aforementioned 02904 I tend to agree. My street and all the streets bordering it are absolutely fine and in fact solid working class homes. However, sure, there are certainly streets I would not live on in my zip code...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island