Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 01:26 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,252,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Indeed, live and let live needs to work both ways but these people were proselytizing on the street thus opening themselves up to the reactions of passersby.

Had they MYOB and kept their religion at home or in church where it belongs, no one would have cared.
Conversely, I feel that the homosexual agenda is being pushed in many public arenas today and would also be best kept at home or in gay meeting places. I don't push my beliefs on you and you don't push your beliefs on me. However...just turn on your TV at any given time and see what's being promoted. If my beliefs should be kept to myself, then so should theirs. That's what's referred to as fairness.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM

9,212 posts, read 14,765,846 times
Homosexual agenda? Are you sure they're not just trying to get civil rights that are being denied them by the Catholic majority in the legislature?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Homosexual agenda? Are you sure they're not just trying to get civil rights that are being denied them by the Catholic majority in the legislature?
To be deserving of civil rights implies that homosexuality is not a choice, which is the crux of the whole issue and a very large can of worms that I don't feel like opening here today. Getting into debates on anonymous internet forums accomplishes nothing and tends to bring out the worst in everyone involved. I think we can agree that both sides should do a better job of treating each other with love and dignity and leave it at that.

Have a nice day.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM

564 posts, read 1,864,264 times
Quote:

That's the rub. Many people don't believe that they are being denied a civil right (myself included).

And I agree, there is a push for the homosexual agenda. NPR promotes it particularly well.....

Old 03-31-2011, 04:48 PM

Well this should certainly make jviello happier to know that there are people in our state who don't believe that homosexuals should enjoy the same rights as the rest of us.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Well this should certainly make jviello happier to know that there are people in our state who don't believe that homosexuals should enjoy the same rights as the rest of us.
Speaking only for myself, I don't live in your state. New England is a nice place to visit, but I will never live there, it doesn't interest me at all. Good news, huh?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:14 AM

23,067 posts, read 18,206,847 times
Keep fighting the fight RI. You do not want to become like Massachusetts.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:39 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
To be deserving of civil rights implies that homosexuality is not a choice, which is the crux of the whole issue and a very large can of worms that I don't feel like opening here today. Getting into debates on anonymous internet forums accomplishes nothing and tends to bring out the worst in everyone involved. I think we can agree that both sides should do a better job of treating each other with love and dignity and leave it at that.

Have a nice day.
Agreed on all points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryDude View Post
That's the rub. Many people don't believe that they are being denied a civil right (myself included).

And I agree, there is a push for the homosexual agenda. NPR promotes it particularly well.....
x2

Quote:
Excuse me? Seems you are not much different than the people in the video attacking someone for asking a question.

Okay, lets go there. What rights are being denied? Free speech? No. Right to assemble? No. What right? Please do me a favor and scour the constitution and find the right that homosexuals in the United States are denied.

If anything, the people of RI are trying to deny those who are peacefully assembling their constitutional right to do so.

Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I don't think people should be judging an entire state by a video , News story , Forbes facts or rumors , one needs to get out and explore that state.
Hence the question here. Some states have different vibes. I'm curious to see how deep the social progressive streak runs in RI. I can't find that by driving around the state or going out to lunch.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:43 AM

to massnative :Whatever do you mean by that?

That MA is overrun by married homos and we just have unmarried homos?

to jviello: they are being denied the right to a civil union- what is it about a civil union that you are so afraid of?

And let's not be so strict constructionist about the constitution- the writers could not have anticipated 21st century issues.

Last edited by Hollytree; 04-01-2011 at 06:52 AM..

Old 04-01-2011, 08:18 AM

564 posts, read 1,864,264 times
Quote:
And let's not be so strict constructionist about the constitution- the writers could not have anticipated 21st century issues.

I mean this with all respect, Hollytree, for I do enjoy your posts and want to maintain the cordial nature of things here

The Founding Fathers had a couple of thousand years of history behind them when they wrote the Constitution. That human history certainly demonstrates that while technology may change human nature doesn't. There were certainly issues with the document- slavery being the most glaring- and they were aware of the contradictions. And less than 100 years later we fought a terrible war to correct that wrong (I am a direct descendant of three Union soldiers, and have documented more than a dozen other relatives who fought for the Union ) a war that changed the country dramatically. So I disagree with your statement, vehemently.

Regardless, the Constitution does not address marriage at all. That makes it a Ninth and Tenth Amendment issue.
Article 9 in Amendment- just because we didn't mention a right doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Article 10 in Amendment- if the Constitution doesn't give the Feds power over it, the power over it is the sates, or the peoples power.

So the Federal government should, in the case of homosexual marriage, shut it's yap and mind it's own business. It's a state issue.
That brings us to Article 4, Section 1, to whit-

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State; And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof."

Not a lot of wiggle room in that, is there? This is why other states acknowledge marriages, drivers licenses, felony convictions from other jurisdictions. However, the Supreme Court have failed in their duty to enforce this section fully or properly. This is why a same sex marriage from one state is not recognized in another. This is also why a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued from one state is not recognized in another state. Blatantly un-Constitutional. it doesn't say Congress can judge such acts, or control them, only prescribe the manner in which they shall be proved.

Based on the 9th and 10th Amendments and Article 4, Section 1 homosexual marriage is a state issue, not Federal.

The Constitution was designed to be understood by the American Citizen. Not interpreted and bent to irrevelance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island