Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,341 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 year old white male (moving with his 23 yr old g/f) who has been looking to relocate to the Providence area (grew up in the MA 'burbs before moving to FL) for quite a while, and was close but had a few things fall through.

I've noticed there are a few condos/homes available in the Armory District, with one bargain basement price on Hudson.

I've read ad nauseum about the area, and drove through today before getting some food at the delicious Julian's on Broadway.

I just can't seem to get a feel for this area the few times I have been through it, not sure if it is due to the fact that it is completely different to the suburbia I have been living in for my whole life, or if I should be worried about safety in the area.

I know a few streets south and it starts getting worse, however I have seen conflicting reports as a whole on this board about the area. I doubt there will be a conclusive consensus on this thread, but I would love any advice that could be sent my way, thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
If you decide to try out this district, rent first- do not buy. It is an area for people who want a very diverse urban experience- as a previous suburbanite this may very possibly turn out to be more than you can cope with.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 AM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,369 times
thisoneguy
You have answered your own question about the area // "be worried about safety"

And Hollytree has given you sound advise// " more than you can cope with"

ody

Old 04-03-2011, 01:38 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times
It's a generally safe neighborhood where you don't really have to worry too much about safety. It is a transitional area with a very diverse population. The population of the Armory district is a lot of people like yourself in their late-20's and 30's. I know a bunch of people in the neighborhood and they wouldn't live anywhere else in the city. However, they do enjoy the urban experience and all that comes with it. If you're not too sure about moving to an urban environment, Holly's suggestion to rent is spot on. Heck, I would recommend renting no matter where you go. It'll allow you to check out the neighborhood and the whole city without being tied down to it. There are a lot of rentals in the Armory.

I'm not going to lie and say there's no crime, but the much coveted east side of Providence also sees its share of crime (lots of students means lots of naive residents). The nice thing about the Armory is the lack of student population which can make it loud and messy. Closer to Cranston Street and south of there is worse. Closer to Westminster is better, but I'd say it's about the same from Westminster just until you get right to Cranston Street. The west side of the park is less expensive than the east side of the park (probably because there's more housing stock there). It's less nice the farther you get from the park.

If you're trying to get into the urban experience, I would recommend the Elmhurst neighborhood. It's more suburban in feel, but still walkable. Rent there to get accustomed to Providence and check out the other neighborhoods. I did that. I lived on Federal Hill between Atwells and Broadway for a couple years. I loved it up there, but wanted to settle in an area with a little more space and less students. I live just off Chalkstone Ave on the north side of it (another transitional area, but different from the Armory).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: