Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times

Advertisements

Don't show this to the righties! Their heads might explode:

BatchBlue is a classic example of the kind of entrepreneurial growth Rhode Island attracts, says Allan Tear, managing partner of the business incubator Betaspring. Entrepreneurs have relocated here because of the lifestyle Rhode Island offers, he says.

Tear moved here in 2002.

“I was looking for a city that I could get my arms around and sink my teeth into,” he says.

Other entrepreneurs choose the state for the same reasons he, the Riggen-Ransoms and O’Hara did.

“It has all the cultural amenities of a large place, but in a small place,” Tear says, with walk-able, livable neighborhoods and a diverse capital city. “It matches an entrepreneur well. It’s the kind of place where if you’re scrappy and used to putting together your own resources, I think the place welcomes you.”

Plus, Providence is ideally located between Boston and New York.

Now, as Betaspring prepares to launch two start-up sessions this summer, Tear and his partners are poring over hundreds of applications for 20 slots.

About 80 percent of them came from teams outside Rhode Island.

BatchBlue demonstrated its Batchbook software at a Providence Geeks gathering, events that attract the state’s digital technology community, and went on to launch it at DEMO in California in the fall of 2007.

The company now has “tens of thousands” of customers, Riggen-Ransom says. It outgrew its first Wayland Square office and is seeking another location.

An entrepreneurial effort blends business, life | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:12 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,043 times
"Don't show this to the righties! Their heads might explode:"

wow, your still with the white hats are the good guy's and the black hats are the bad guy's.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Was that a sentence?

Old 04-19-2011, 12:19 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times
I don't see what this has to do with politics. There's a large number of small tech startups in RI. See Providence Geeks and RI Nexus for more info on them.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Because Jim, if you ask the average Rhode Island conservative, they will tell you that it is impossible to do business in Rhode Island and that there is a mass exodus of businesses from the State for this very reason. You need go no further than this very message board than to see that.

And why do they spew this unsubstantiated drivel? Because they are preached it day in and day out by talk radio and Fox News. They think it's reality, but it isn't.

So while I agree with you that this should be fairly obvious, there is a very defined segment of the state that doesn't realize it, and they are defined precisely by their politics.

Sad but true.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,043 times
This actually sounds like "the boy" speaks from experience?

Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM

RI is not attracting big business because of that, unless they gives tax breaks (see 38 studios and what was done to keep GTECH from leaving for MA).

Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 AM

So Rhode Island is giving G Tech tax breaks and they are staying in the State. How does that contradict my point? Seriously, are you guys sleepwalking when you type these posts??? haha

Old 04-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
So Rhode Island is giving G Tech tax breaks and they are staying in the State. How does that contradict my point? Seriously, are you guys sleepwalking when you type these posts??? haha
Because without giving tax breaks, these places would not have stayed or come here. The problem is that the tax climate here is not good.

I actually don't really agree with the tax breaks for 38 Studios. Curt Schilling had the money to come here if he really wanted to. He just wanted a free handout.

I don't have a huge problem with tax breaks, but the whole situation needs to change. We don't have companies knocking down our doors to move to RI. While we might have a lot of small startups here, it's mainly because they were started by people who live in the area and love the area. The only company that I know of that moved here without incentives was Moo.com. They came here because of the artist population.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 AM

Whoever said I was against incentives? The company in the article I posted decided they liked the business climate here. I guess you should debate them. The Governor I voted for, and Republicans love to bash, is actually proposing corporate tax breaks for business.

Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: