Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 AM

270 posts, read 729,319 times

Advertisements

Quilter...the reason I felt the opinion was laughable was because it was stated as fact and it wasn't even accurate. It is fact that the weather in western NY is very similar to the weather in RI. Only in an isolated city or two (Buffalo), is the weather "way more harsh."

That's a misconception and I merely corrected. I did think it was quite a funny misconception.

As for coming to a RI forum and discussing the pros and cons of living there...I see nothing wrong with it.

I truly feel for the folks that want to leave and can't. We wanted to leave a few years ago and were only just able to do so. It is frustrating when you feel trapped.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,982,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea3829 View Post
Like I said Rnr, I'm not here to down RI. But when asked, or when the discussion turns to the negatives of the state, sure, I'm going to throw my opinion in.

I'm not bitter towards RI at all. Have said as much several times. Sad that it's too costly to live there for quite a few folks.
I guess it's your very presence I don't understand. But, yes, it sounds like you don't dislike Rhode Island as much as I dislike Florida.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,429,396 times
Quote:
Quilter...the reason I felt the opinion was laughable was because it was stated as fact and it wasn't even accurate. It is fact that the weather in western NY is very similar to the weather in RI. Only in an isolated city or two (Buffalo), is the weather "way more harsh."

That's a misconception and I merely corrected. I did think it was quite a funny misconception.

As for coming to a RI forum and discussing the pros and cons of living there...I see nothing wrong with it.

I truly feel for the folks that want to leave and can't. We wanted to leave a few years ago and were only just able to do so. It is frustrating when you feel trapped.

I was responding to RNR's comment about "the only thing laughable" etc. This is an opinion forum and folks post questions and comments about every state in the Union and beyond. They want honest opinions, not one-sided opinions or biased opinions zeroing in on certain areas that are only in their comfort zone. Many are oblivious to what is going on around them; and as I mentioned, the frustration is evident simply by how defensive some people can get when others have differing opinions, or point out why they left the state. All they have to do is open their minds to what is really going on and admit that there may be other opinions out there. They have no right to at someone who doesn't think "their way" just because they like chocolate and others like vanilla. Or, that last time we checked it was a free country ... people have options, people move about as they wish. Then again, some people are "stuck" through no fault of their own, or don't have the energy or interest in seeking what could be a better life and freedom to explore. Kinda' like the old truism that folks from Woonsocket wouldn't drive to Narragansett for the day, they consider it an overnight trip.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I was responding to RNR's comment about "the only thing laughable" etc. This is an opinion forum and folks post questions and comments about every state in the Union and beyond. They want honest opinions, not one-sided opinions or biased opinions zeroing in on certain areas that are only in their comfort zone. Many are oblivious to what is going on around them;
Couldn't agree with you more. I deal in facts. You play fast and loose. Just one quick example: A little while back you said Cranston was "one of the many impoverished communities surrounding Providence". I pointed out the median household income was higher than the Rhode Island average, and the city had a surplus.

You never bothered to respond. That happens quite often on here. As German Spy says, some just like hyperbole more than facts.

Good to see for once we agree

Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Default Cranston is a wreck

Live Blog: City Council Budget Adjustment Meeting - Cranston, RI Patch

Old 06-20-2011, 02:47 PM

What's your point? And how does this prove Cranston is one of the most impoverished cities?

Let's try this again, since you obviously slept through the first class:

The income per capita in Cranston is 4.3% greater than the Rhode Island average and 6.1% greater than the national average. The median household income in Cranston is 0.6% greater than the Rhode Island average and 3.4% greater than the national average. The poverty level in Cranston is 28.1% less than the Rhode Island average and 40.8% less than the national average.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Facts! Run away! Run away!

Last edited by Yac; 09-07-2018 at 08:43 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Eh, I'll just say this...Cranston is a tale of two cities. You've got the really wealthy half and the really impoverished half.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Eh, I'll just say this...Cranston is a tale of two cities. You've got the really wealthy half and the really impoverished half.
This is a classic example of what I am talking about though. If you say that, it still does not prove that "Cranston is one of the most impoverished cities in Rhode Island."

Sorry, no case to be made there. (And I know you're not making it, but don't encourage the dittoheads.)

Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnrboy View Post
This is a classic example of what I am talking about though. If you say that, it still does not prove that "Cranston is one of the most impoverished cities in Rhode Island."

Sorry, no case to be made there. (And I know you're not making it, but don't encourage the dittoheads.)
Your numbers may be correct to a very fine point ... because other than having had personal experience from living in Garden City for a long time, and as a Realtor in RI for several years, I can honestly say that the only places that are holding up your theory are Dean Estates and western Cranston where the income level is higher than average. The rest of Cranston is suffering and there are for sale signs all over Dean Estates.

It's all about the taxes and the BMW's; and a lot of those have been traded for Chevys.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Honestly, I'm quite surprised to see data that says otherwise about Cranston. It doesn't seem as though the data really adds up with my experience of Cranston, anyways.

Then again, most of my experience with Cranston is in the lower income sections. I taught Kindergarten at a small private daycare/Kindergarten over near Gladstone. I have some family that live in one of those houses along 95.

And during my first pregnancy, I worked for Gateway Healthcare coordinating services for families with children with severe behavioral issues. Most of my clients were in Cranston. And of those, 95% of them were in the eastern part. The other 5% lived in the wealthy part of Cranston.

Anyways, just surprised to see stats like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island