Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 05:14 PM

10 posts, read 15,424 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

So I lived in Florida for 17 years, and never cared for it - but I always kept staying. I call it the 'twilight state' - it's a weird place like that.

Without bogging you all down with some long story, on wed I got my chance to get out. I was on a plane and all I could take with me was what fit in a backpack.

- I'm 29
- I'm unmarried w/ no children
- I'm staying with my brother in federal hill for the time being
- I'm educated - materials science & engineering - but didn't finish my thesis and so do not have a degree
- I'm broke
- I'm skilled. I've worked most of my career as a machinist.

I don't know a thing about this place. Any tips on landing a good job, basic local culture, making friends, etc.

I like what I see so far. I loathe hot weather and driving, two things you can't get away from in FL. The "personal bubble" is smaller here, but people seem mostly ok. I haven't felt a sense of menace or danger anywhere I've been yet, unlike many places in FL.

thanks for taking the time to read this and reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 06:56 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Shame you didn't finish your degree- you would be highly employable. Having said that, as a machinist you should also be able to get work here.

Try the career placement office of New England Tech- maybe they have relevant listings. I also put machinist in the RI Craigslist employment section and came up with about 15 openings.

As far as fitting in and making friends- it's the same as anywhere. You act friendly towards others- they respond in kind.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:08 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
perhaps you should look into finishing that degree.
one thing you'll see there is no shortage of in RI
is places to get a quality education.

work search, like anywhere else. you may end up working in
Mass or CT, lots of RI's commute to Mass and you also are
right near the train station. There is a new direct speed rail to Boston.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:21 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Just wanted to say good luck and keep us up to date with your job search and exploration of the area. Unbiased opinions are always interesting.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks to the people who replied! So far, I'm really happy with the move.

I've been doing temp work, which is good enough to maintain cash flow until a steady income appears. Being able to source legit income in less than 6 days speaks highly of the opportunity of a locale. Like I said, I'm highly skilled, so it shouldn't be long before good work - $20+/hr - shows up.

Finishing the degree is def in the plan, though it's not a high priority. In the "real" world, my experience has been that success is determined by a) how well a person performs, and b) who they know. My area of study is Materials Science and Engineering, which is a little obscure. Brown's got a program, haven't looked into URI yet. I'm sure that I could qualify for either.

I like the faster pace of things. That said, I don't think I could make it in a place like NYC just yet. So this may be just right. I've led a pretty wild life, and though I'm educated, I might on first impression be judged as "southern white trash", and I'm OK with that

I'm learning where are the appropriate situations to chat up strangers (public transportation, waiting in lines, etc.), and I'm having a lot of fun.

I'm totally entranced by the age and industrial history of the area. Most of the people I've met are pretty awesome. I don't mind the "rudeness", which I believe is just a consequence of the fast pace and crowding. I've learned that people are pretty much the same wherever you go. The diversity is super cool, too.

I absolutely love the workout that I'm getting with all of this walking! I'm pretty trim to begin with, but I'm going to be in damn good shape in a few months from all of these hills. No gym membership necessary. And there seems to be lots of pretty women around.

I'm staying in Federal Hill, and the food shops are just amazing. I love the local Italian culture. They're so animating and charming.

I like that the place is dog-friendly. I've seen lots of Boston Terriers, but no "real" American Pit Bull Terriers, my personal favorite breed and a specialty of the South. They would be ideal for this locale since they aren't territorial or human aggressive and love vigorous exercise.

I'll stay in touch as things progress!

Jon

Old 06-09-2011, 03:20 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,997,874 times
Glad you're enjoying Rhode Island Jon

Old 06-12-2011, 03:21 PM

605 posts, read 1,093,043 times
Frenchy, what didn't you like about Florida? Where did you live? Just for my own info.
On this sight you will hear positives and negatives about RI so be ready.
welcome...

Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy711 View Post
I like that the place is dog-friendly. I've seen lots of Boston Terriers, but no "real" American Pit Bull Terriers, my personal favorite breed and a specialty of the South. They would be ideal for this locale since they aren't territorial or human aggressive and love vigorous exercise.

Jon
Pit bulls in Providence require liability insurance and cost more to register. There is also a lot of landlord discrimination towards renters with pit bulls.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:51 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy711 View Post
Thanks to the people who replied! So far, I'm really happy with the move.

I've been doing temp work, which is good enough to maintain cash flow until a steady income appears. Being able to source legit income in less than 6 days speaks highly of the opportunity of a locale. Like I said, I'm highly skilled, so it shouldn't be long before good work - $20+/hr - shows up.

Finishing the degree is def in the plan, though it's not a high priority. In the "real" world, my experience has been that success is determined by a) how well a person performs, and b) who they know. My area of study is Materials Science and Engineering, which is a little obscure. Brown's got a program, haven't looked into URI yet. I'm sure that I could qualify for either.

I like the faster pace of things. That said, I don't think I could make it in a place like NYC just yet. So this may be just right. I've led a pretty wild life, and though I'm educated, I might on first impression be judged as "southern white trash", and I'm OK with that

I'm learning where are the appropriate situations to chat up strangers (public transportation, waiting in lines, etc.), and I'm having a lot of fun.

I'm totally entranced by the age and industrial history of the area. Most of the people I've met are pretty awesome. I don't mind the "rudeness", which I believe is just a consequence of the fast pace and crowding. I've learned that people are pretty much the same wherever you go. The diversity is super cool, too.

I absolutely love the workout that I'm getting with all of this walking! I'm pretty trim to begin with, but I'm going to be in damn good shape in a few months from all of these hills. No gym membership necessary. And there seems to be lots of pretty women around.

I'm staying in Federal Hill, and the food shops are just amazing. I love the local Italian culture. They're so animating and charming.

I'll stay in touch as things progress!

Jon
Never heard of such a "southern specialty". They are, however, a favorite breed of several Providence hoods. You should have no problem finding several.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM

Dogs. What do you mean by registered? Tagged and vaccinated, or does the city keep a registry of all dogs? Liability insurance? Do you mean just for homeowners or as the owner of the dog, wherever you live? Not being a smartass, I'd really like to know.
Up until a few decades ago, the only people who kept pits were hunters, ranchers, and of course dogfighters. Then they became a fashion trend and now IMHO the best all around type of dog is being bred into oblivion.

They are much more common in the south because of fighting and hunting. Hunting wild pigs is a big, big rural sport down there. They call them "bulldogs" or "catch dogs", because they are put on the hogs after a "bay dog" has it cornered. I'm not into blood and guts for fun, but it is what it is.

That said, the original stock came over into new england in the 19th century and the famous breeder Colby was a new englander. Over time, the "sport" moved south. Good dogs can be had for very cheap (<$200) down there, as long as you stay from "pit breeders". If someone says their dog is a "100 pound red nose", it's a fat turd, and not the real thing.

So far here, I've seen exactly 2 that I would pay money to feed.

rosco917 - I lived in Sebring, Daytona Beach, and I went to school at UF, which is in Gainesville. It's hot in FL - duh. Like the hottest day you have here, for 5 straight months. Every single day. And people seem a whole lot crazier. Like, when you hear on the news some really awful story where a bunch of 10 year olds lit another kid on fire - Florida. And there are few industries besides tourism. There is an aerospace presence on the east coast, but with the axing of the shuttle program, that's going to take a hit. And the prevailing housing style is: big, ugly, and poorly made.

Wanna soda or beer or sandwich or toothpaste or ......? Get ready to drive. Nothing is in walking distance. And if it were, you'll still need a shower after you get home since it's so humid your clothes are soaked with sweat in about five minutes. Like bugs? Move to the sunshine state.

Then there are the transplanted elderly retirees - the largest population group. Many are truly rude, drive dangerously, and seem in no hurry to do anything, never mind if you're trying to run an errand on your lunch break. Oh, but they find the time to elect an asshat like Rick Scott as the gov.

On the positive, some of the beaches are great. New Smyrna Beach is just awesome. I used to go every day after work. If you like fishing, Florida's real good for that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island