Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 07:26 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,972,524 times

Advertisements

I would not want to make that commute. I commuted from Boston to Providence (by car) and it was pretty draining. Granted the commuter rail would allow you to read or whatever but you are still looking at an hour station to station. Tack on 15 minutes on each end to get to the station in PVD and from South Station to your office and that a nasty commute.

If taking public transit an unlimited T pass is $60/month versus a what appears to be either $149 (if you don't take the T) or $250 (if you need to take the T) for a commuter rail pass. If driving keep in mind most colleges are near impossible to park at without hefty garage fees, gas is expensive and the wear and tear on your car is rough.

If you are working in Boston and going to school in Boston chances are most people you meet will live in and around Boston and being stuck taking the commuter rail or driving home might suck.

How much cheaper and apartment in Providence is versus Boston really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to live in a 1br high-rise luxury apartment downtown the difference will significant. If you are looking to live in a diverse area in a two or three family house in say Somerville, JP or even Newton (all of which I would pick over Brighton BTW) and willing to consider sharing a two bedroom with another person (I cringe as I type that cause as someone your age I hate the idea of not living on my own) then Boston may not be that big of a difference for you.

Last edited by beth98; 07-01-2011 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 12:53 PM

188 posts, read 497,142 times
Thanks for the input..gee now im thinking boston will be the better choice. I guess driving 2 hrs. doesnt bother me because im used to it...especially since i would be doing that once a week. But the t pass is alot cheaper if i lived in boston. im so lost

Old 07-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Its going to be Boston guys! Turns out the room share idea for newton and somerville or cambridge is not much diff. from providence. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:17 AM

67 posts, read 125,012 times
I think Boston would be more affordable if you have to commute. I don't know Providence, but the Boston/Somerville/Cambridge has tons of things to do. I live in the Spring Hill area Somerville, a 20 min walk to Davis square and about 20 minute walk to Harvard Square. Somerville is more affordable than Cambridge. If you can get within a walking distance to the Red Line (Porter or Davis), you can get to Boston easily without having to deal with a car. As far as rental prices, depends on what you need. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment (about 350-400 sq feet) in a nice neighborhood and pay $950 - all utilities included. I'm told I have a steal of a deal, but I think you can find comparable places.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM

95 posts, read 384,725 times
If your a woman Providence, if your a man Boston.

I guess the ratio does not mean anything unless you experience the singles scene for these places yourself. Just remember some areas of Providence where there are alot of clubs there is also crime. In Boston its alittle more laid back as far as clubs and bars, not as much crime after people get out but driving in Boston sucks. Thats my experience anyways and i'm in the age 25-35 category.

Last edited by avalon2k41; 07-18-2011 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM

Thanks guys looks like im going to live in an area called newton. its right near the green line which is great because thats the subway my college is near. and im offered free parking which is a plus! In the end it looks like its better for me to be close to school. Im excited and ready to be back up north!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island